What's new

1950: What's on blu-ray and what should be (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The 1950s is perhaps my favorite decade in all of movie history. We've got some great blu-rays of films from these years, but there are also so many neglected films waiting to be rediscovered. But, backing up from the whole decade, I just like to think about the year 1950:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_in_film

What do you think are 2-3 of the best blu-rays representing this year? And can you nominate 2-3 films that you think are most in need of a blu-ray release? Try to narrow it down to just a few.

My three favorite blu-rays for films released in 1950:
1. Sunset Blvd
2. All About Eve
3. Cinderella

Those first two are so good as movies and as blu-rays. And to me, strangely, they seem almost like movie prequels to The Twilight Zone, especially because of their twist endings. Cinderella, of course, was Disney's return to full-length animated storytelling after taking several years off. This is far from my favorite Disney animated film, but it still stands up well.

My two nominated films from 1950 that should be on blu-ray:

1. In a Lonely Place
As you all know, this is the third of the cynical and dark movies about show-biz from this year. And as you all know, it should be on blu.
2. Broken Arrow
Am I wrong in rating this one highly? It's a Technicolor Western with James Stewart that has a surprisingly progressive portrayal of Native Americans for the era. It's Fox, and so I suppose the 3-strip negative was thrown out....

Reactions: PMF

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Unfortunately the Cinderella Bluray is not good and suffers from over-restoration, since it lacks detail in comparison to VHS (!).

Cinderella_VHSvsBD.jpg

source: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=6399775#post6399775

My nominated films for a Bluray for that year would be:

-Treasure island
-King Solomon's Mines (this, along with Treasure Island would look spectacular on Bluray if properly restored!)
-Crisis (well, i would love to have a complete Cary Grant filmography on Bluray)
-Summer Stock (love Judy Garland and classic musicals and this is very fun to watch)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Summer Stock would certainly be at the top of my list, and to finish it off with two more MGM musicals of that year: Annie Get Your Gun and Two Weeks With Love. (And if I get a fourth choice - Three Little Words).

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The 1950's is also my favourite decade. From my 2014 wish list, none of which has been released on blu-ray yet, the films I want are Three Little Words and Armored Car Robbery. I also want The Narrow Margin (made in 1950 but released in 1952).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, great year, it's the year I was born, but not a really fantastic year for movies. Just three I'd like on Blu-ray:The Flame & The Arrow - as part of a Warner box "Swashbucklers & Epics". Ha, I can dream.Winchester 73 - might as well be part of a Universal, Western Films Of James Stewart box.The Wooden Horse - for my money the best POW escape film made.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Keith Cobby said:
I also want The Narrow Margin (made in 1950 but released in 1952).
I'm with you on The Narrow Margin, especially on a pairing with its Gene Hackman/Anne Archer remake that used the same title (minus the "The").

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I also like the remake of The Narrow Margin.

I expect that Winchester 73 will most likely be released in Germany as they are currently putting out a lot of Universal titles. I have just ordered Man Without a Star.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Favorite films of the year on Blu-Ray include:

Harvey
Sunset Blvd.
Rashomon

What I'd like to see released from 1950:

In a Lonely Place
Young Man with a Horn
Night and the City

- Walter.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Although I still go with Cinderella and Gun Crazy in this topic, Variety reviewed Cinderella on December 9, 1949 and Gun Crazy (as Deadly Is The Female) on October 28, 1949.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
ABaglivi said:
Although I still go with Cinderella and Gun Crazy in this topic, Variety reviewed Cinderella on December 9, 1949 and Gun Crazy (as Deadly Is The Female) on October 28, 1949.
Nice research. +++ If by any chance you have any quotes from those reviews handy, I think we'd be interested to read them.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The decade of the 1950's: What's on blu-ray-not so much. What should be- a WHOLE lot more. Incredible international titles, several Best Picture winners and countless adventure and historical favorites that still haven't made it...yet.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Edward Weinman said:
The Band Wagon (1953)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
Silk Stockings (1957)
(Brigadoon) (1954)
Great nominations! But you're jumping the gun a bit. Do you have any suggestions for the year 1950?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ed Lachmann said:
1950's: What's on blu-ray-not so much. What should be- a WHOLE lot more. Let me add: AUNTIE MAME, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF, HELEN OF TROY, SCARAMOUCHE, LA STRADA, NIGHTS OF CABIRIA, SOLOMON AND SHEBA, THE STORY OF RUTH, THE VIKINGS, COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA, IVANHOE, LAND OF THE PHARAOHS, THE SILVER CHALICE, FRANCIS OF ASSISI, WE'RE NO ANGELS, BOY ON A DOLPHIN and the list could go on forever!
Again, great suggestions. But what about sticking to the year 1950 for now?

Reactions: PMF

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Ben, you caught me before saw my error in reading your original post. Boy, you were quick. I changed it in about two minutes. From 1950 I'd take KING SOLOMON'S MINES, VARIETY LIGHTS and CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
benbess said:
My two nominated films from 1950 that should be on blu-ray:

1. In a Lonely Place
As you all know, this is the third of the cynical and dark movies about show-biz from this year. And as you all know, it should be on blu.
2. Broken Arrow
Am I wrong in rating this one highly? It's a Technicolor Western with James Stewart that has a surprisingly progressive portrayal of Native Americans for the era. It's Fox, and so I suppose the 3-strip negative was thrown out....
I like BROKEN ARROW, but I consider another western from that year, Anthony Mann's DEVIL'S DOORWAY, to be much more radical in its portrayal of Native Americans as Americans brutalized by the white power structure. Robert Taylor plays an Indian war veteran (Union Army) who comes back to his home to find his land taken over by whites and a legal system supporting them. He gets a white woman lawyer (Paula Raymond) to take his case, with sadly predictable results. An excellent western from Mann, whose WINCHESTER '73, already cited above by Billy Batson (Shazam!), was the better James Stewart western that year.

Stewart's Indian wife in BROKEN ARROW has to die tragically to satisfy some outmoded studio taboo against interracial marriage, yet the following year, in William Wellman's ACROSS THE WIDE MISSOURI, made at MGM, a trapper played by Clark Gable marries an Indian woman and no one comments on it and they live happily ever after!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Devil's Doorway is all that Vic says in his post, and much more. It has, perhaps, Robert Taylor's finest performance; and the B&W cinematography by the great John Alton, seen in a pristine 35mm print, is breathtakingly gorgeous. This is a definite candidate for BD status, if only for Alton's contribution. It was a very courageous film to be made and released by MGM in 1950. Quite unlike any other. It is a must see.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
benbess said:
Great nominations! But you're jumping the gun a bit. Do you have any suggestions for the year 1950?
...sorry...I thought it was for the 50s'...
...I need to put on my thinking cap abit...i need to look for it...

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I'm another Alan born in 1950 (hello Billy Batson!) -- I'd like to see a Blu-ray of "Down to Earth" coupled with the Selznick re-edit,
"The Wild Heart." They make for an interesting comparison and both the Technicolor and Jennifer Jones are gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks