1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

1940s: What Titles Did You Vote For?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Timothy E

Timothy E Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    The Black Swan is one of the great pirate films of all time. I really want to see it released.

2. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

Tanked in sale from TT? About 1/2 of the discs of The Rains of Ranchipur have sold in the first 3-4 months of release. Regarding The Roots of Heaven, it hasn't sold so well with about 2,000 units left more than a year into release. And look at Journey to the Center of the Earth, which sold out in about 2 months. Regardless, there are some titles like Love is a Many-Splendored Thing or House of Bamboo and Forty Guns (the last two of which were both shot by the great CinemaScope director Sam Fuller) which might sell well. And from the '40s, Cry of the City seems like prime TT material and would sell well with noir fans. And the one upside of the licensing to TT is the ISTs.

3. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    We should remember that The Roots Of Heaven had a very good DVD release in Spain and many fans of classic catalogue titles bought that DVD before Twilight Time came on the scene. The Rains Of Ranchipur is also available on BRD in Germany so many European customers will buy that instead of Twilight Times' disc. Cry Of The City is available on DVD in Germany: a pretty good DVD too. Quite a few of us have already bought that disc.

4. lionel59

lionel59 Supporting Actor

Michael Robert Lionel Evans
    Although it is not a '50's CinemaScope film, with it's superb location cinematography (originally photographed in Technicolor) and its highly regarded Oscar-nominated Alfred Newman score, I'd think CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE is an ideal Twilight Time release should it fail to be released due to this vote. I have been voting for it daily (to little avail!)

5. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    IMO, Fox should release two boxsets of all Tyrone Power's adventure films similar to the two boxsets for Elia Kazan; Vol 1. -The Mark of Zorro -Son of Fury -The Black Swan -Prince of Foxes Vol 2. -Captain from Castile -The Black Rose -King of the Khyber Rifles -Untamed He's one of their few stars that could carry a Blu-ray boxset.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I don't think he'll sell enough units for two boxsets.

7. Lromero1396

I agree. They just need to be released all at once. Most of these are in color and all would benefit exponentially from a BD release.

8. Lromero1396

EDIT: I agree with MLamarrre. They just need to be released all at once. Most of these are in color and all would benefit exponentially from a BD release.

9. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    They could sell two sets if they were both released on the same release day. They did the same thing with the Elia Kazan blu-ray collections. Perhaps they can also make it a Foxconnect.com exclusive.

10. Lromero1396

Sounds good to me. That would be better than a Twilight Time release because Fox wouldn't have to invest in sending it out to retailers and could settle for a smaller production run, therefore it would cost less to them. This is why I'm such a fan of the concept of FoxConnect Exclusives.

11. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Don't forget about Jesse James and In Old Chicago.

12. Lromero1396

Those should be released as part of the Studio Classics series. But Fox doesn't seem to have plans for IOC at this time and it seems inevitable that JJ will lose in the voting. This proves once again that even though Fox claims to be doing something good with this voting, they are also neglecting to release significant titles in their catalog. A shame. :(

13. Lromero1396

I'm just one of those people who doesn't do imports. I really don't like PAL speedup and do not have a multiregion BD player and currently I am not willing to invest in one as that money can be put towards other more worthy items. I'm not criticizing the practice of importing, it's just that I prefer to buy domestically. Also, regarding the DVD of The Roots of Heaven, some fans might want the film in a high-definition transfer with lossless audio and an isolated score track. Not to mention at the proper frame rate with no pitch increase in the audio. Same story with The Rains of Ranchipur. In some cases the region B releases may have inferior image or sound quality and do not come with an isolated score. I know that the Twilight time BD of The Egyptian used the 2010 image harvest and restoration while the BD released in Scandinavia (or somewhere in Europe, I can't quite remember) featured inferior image quality, presumably from the 2005 HD master. Just some food for thought, I understand you all have your preferences.

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I would think that a number (not all) of the titles nominated will eventually make their way out but Fox is just trying to gauge which ones are likely to sell best. If a title comes in second place, I don't think it means that it will never come out.

15. Lromero1396

I seriously hope you are right.

16. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I would agree with this.

17. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    I imagine Fox are also trying to figure out which titles have limited appeal and should be given to Twilight Time.

18. Lromero1396

Despite the seemingly-hacked votes, the bottom titles in the voting with 1-2% would logically go to TT. The votes are not entirely useless, they just can't be used to determine a winner.

19. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Though not an all out adventure film I would want to see Power's THE RAZOR's EDGE released and voted for it everyday. A prestige picture with an all star cast...

20. Lromero1396

Agreed