What's new

1940s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[SIZE= 20px]What Movies do you Want Released on Blu-ray? The Choice is Yours![/SIZE]
We are pleased to be working with Fox on an exciting promotion allowing members of HTF and other consumers the ability to vote for the film they want to see released on Blu-ray from each of the following decades: the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. Fox will release the winning title from each decade on Blu-ray later this year as part of the Fox Studio Classics Blu-ray line.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

Fox Classics already released below:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A few more choices for the 40s. I'm not sure I like how these are presented in the choice list. It isn't apparent that you can scroll down, so the top listed titles may get more votes. Still, I've put in my votes for today (The Black Swan). In just about every decade there were maybe three titles I would want. So, do I split my votes from day to day, or stay with my just-about favorite?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by David Weicker
A few more choices for the 40s.
I'm not sure I like how these are presented in the choice list. It isn't apparent that you can scroll down, so the top listed titles may get more votes.
Still, I've put in my votes for today (The Black Swan). In just about every decade there were maybe three titles I would want. So, do I split my votes from day to day, or stay with my just-about favorite?
I think for the first week or do I am going to split my votes unless I have a clear favorite. Once I start to see how things shape up I may have to start focusing on a title or two.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Ghost and Mrs Muir is a wonderful film. That said I voted for Captain from Castile in the hope that the added resolution will show off the color photography to advantage. Also, hoping that FOX will revisited the sound as the Alfred Newman score has been released on cd in real stereo via Screen Archives.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I know I'll be voted out by Capt. Gregg & Mrs. Muir, or by Tommy Udo doing his Riddler impression (heehee), but I don't care: I've got a copy of The Blue Bird that I want to see upgraded, and that's final--I'll fight to the last man, which I'll probably end up being. We'll probably get Kiss of Death from Criterion anyway, so why bother? (Even hastily ended up voting for A Little Princess in the 30's category, just because I didn't know there'd be more than one Shirley in the voting lineup, and I wanted Fox to get their catalog rolling.)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The Academy restored the astounding technicolor biopic Wilson a few years ago. The film is a hidden gem, imo, with particularly great performances and editing, I'd encourage everyone to write it in, because it's been oft overlooked and never released on DVD and it should have superb materials due to the recent restoration. Also, your write in vote doesn't count as an actual vote, I think it just increases fox awareness of demand for titles. so write it in. Voted for A Letter to 3 Wives

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
THAT NIGHT IN RIO! There should be at least some representation of those great pre-war "Good Neighbor" musicals on blu-ray and the existing DVD is a little soft (especially when compared to the really stunning SD disc of DOWN ARGENTINE WAY) so I think this will look very pretty on blu.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
MattH. said:
I went with The Blue Bird, too.
Darn, didn't know what to write for a Write-In vote, but if they'd had a 70's category, I'd had the crazy idea to write-in a vote for the 1976 Blue Bird, with Elizabeth Taylor and Jane Fonda, which Fox hasn't put out in the US in any video form, period. Even VHS. (Although it is available as a region-free DVD with English language and Russian titles from Ruscico.com) Not a perfect movie either, but a good companion--Closer to the original Maeterlinck than Shirley's heavily condensed post-Heidi/40's-isolationist version, although Shirley's version captures the fairytale-message feel better for first-time kids.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
bujaki said:
The Return of Frank James. Fritz Lang directed, Henry Fonda starred, and it's in Technicolor!
Was on TCM over the weekend. Great film.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
MY GAL SAL! I love Rita Hayworth and this is one of the few films in which she starred that I have not seen. Plus more vintage Technicolor on Blu is always a good thing.

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
I wrote in for the 50s THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT-- this is a genuine classic - a better film than either WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER ? (which is good)or THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH (on BR) - a very funny satire with all those amazing musical numbers and Jayne Mansfield at her most beautiful..if only they could find the stereo tracks for all the great rock music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks