What's new

1930s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by PatW
I voted for Call of the Wild. I forgot though how much I enjoyed The Little Princess when I was young. My vote will probably change tomorrow.
I keep ping-ponging back between the too as well. Tonight was Call of the Wild.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Because the top three here are so close, I'm hoping all of them get to Blu-ray this year. Some other decades have more choices and votes are more spread out, but I certainly can't fault any of these top three coming to Blu.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Put in another one for Little Princess. I agree Matt. Would be nice to see more than just the winners come out on BD this year!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Ejanss
Only Little Princess is PD, as far as I know--But Fox had Legend(?) colorize the B/W VHS releases the first time around, to boost the mainstream family sales.
Princess and Blue Bird were Technicolor to begin with, but Princess, like most poor little neglected PD's, could badly use the studio restoration.
Little Princess is available in a (quite) good official Fox release that puts all those other PD releases to shame
http://www.amazon.com/The-Little-Princess-Shirley-Temple/dp/B000LC4ZEO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1359564701&sr=8-6&keywords=little+princess+dvd
(Just don't go by the amazon reviews as Amazon has that really annoying habit of lumping all reviews together regardless of what version it is)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Wow, I can't believe that Jesse James only has a 1% lead over Call of the Wild with Little Princess close behind. IMO, Jesse James needs the most restoration work due to the abysmal DVD. Call of the Wild is not as good of a film and is in black and white, which doesn't make it less worthy of a BD release, but the current state of the elements on Jesse James looks pretty dire. Jesse James needs a boost in the voting, simply for the purpose of asset protection.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm going to have to rewatch my DVD of Jesse James sooner rather than later. I don't remember it being THAT terrible. I remember some registration issues, but I haven't watched it since I first got it so I've obviously forgotten a lot about the transfer.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Lromero1396 said:
Wow, I can't believe that Jesse James only has a 1% lead over Call of the Wild with Little Princess close behind. IMO, Jesse James needs the most restoration work due to the abysmal DVD. Call of the Wild is not as good of a film and is in black and white, which doesn't make it less worthy of a BD release, but the current state of the elements on Jesse James looks pretty dire. Jesse James needs a boost in the voting, simply for the purpose of asset protection.
Call of the Wild and Jesse James both now have 29% with Call of the Wild listed first so I guess it is slightly ahead. Call of the Wild has existed in an edited rereleased version for many years. Not sure if the original version version has existed since the 1930's. Would be great if it had been found but I would guess if this film wins, the same edited version will be released on blu.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Lromero1396 said:
Is the voting still on? :confused: Thought it was just through January! Shirley and Marilyn need my help!

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Garysb said:
Call of the Wild and Jesse James both now have 29% with Call of the Wild listed first so I guess it is slightly ahead. Call of the Wild has existed in an edited rereleased version for many years. Not sure if the original version version has existed since the 1930's. Would be great if it had been found but I would guess if this film wins, the same edited version will be released on blu.
I described that issue earlier in the thread. But I'll reiterate it here so you don't have to go searching for it. There are 2 possibilities as to the fate of the 95-minute original cut: 1. The cuts were made to the negative after the premiere due to a character in those portions being considered controversial (This is from IMDB so I wouldn't trust it). 2. It was cut for the reissue during the Second World War (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there was a BUY WAR BONDS insignia on the end title card). In either case, the nitrate OCN would have been cut, that's the way it was done in those days. I am assuming since the DVD release was sourced from a safety element (indicated by the Cinemascope-era logo preceding the film) of the cut version which was probably struck in the 1970's from whatever the best surviving elements were at the time. In 1978, Fox junked many of its original nitrate negatives and all of the trims from films produced before 1978 to clear out vault space and dispose of the nitrate which was considered a hazardous liability. Sadly, it is quite likely that the original cut may have been lost. BUT, I'm not giving up hope. EDIT: Here's some run time info from IMDB Runtime: 89 min | 95 min (original release) | 81 min (re-release) | 79 min (cut) Rather confusing, eh? Perhaps the initial cutting was due to the fact that Jack Oakie's character died in the original ending shown at the premiere. The was cut and a new ending shot for geneal release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I noticed that Call of the Wild was listed first when I voted today. That's the first time that's happened as well as I can recall.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
MattH. said:
I'm going to have to rewatch my DVD of Jesse James sooner rather than later. I don't remember it being THAT terrible.
Neither do I.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I keep voting for the underdog- SWANEE RIVER. I have never seen it. It recently received a poor quality MOD transfer for Fox's notorious MOD library. I would assume that a Blyu Ray release will be restored and far superior.. Interesting cast (Andrea Leeds was a good actress- Oscar nominated for STAGE DOOR- whose career was probably undone by Goldwyn's folly THE GOLDWYN FOLLIES.) It may well be the only Jolson film in Technicolor (although I know he briefly played himself in THE JOLSON STORY). The period sets , costumes and outdoor shots should come up beautifully on Blu Ray. The classic Stephen Foster songs would be nice to hear, even if the biographical storyline is largely fictitious. Don Ameche is always pleasant to see as a performer. Glad he got his Oscar later in his life even if the film (COCOON) was not my cup of tea.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
lionel59 said:
I keep voting for the underdog- SWANEE RIVER. I have never seen it. It recently received a poor quality MOD transfer for Fox's notorious MOD library. I would assume that a Blyu Ray release will be restored and far superior.. Interesting cast (Andrea Leeds was a good actress- Oscar nominated for STAGE DOOR- whose career was probably undone by Goldwyn's folly THE GOLDWYN FOLLIES.) It may well be the only Jolson film in Technicolor (although I know he briefly played himself in THE JOLSON STORY). The period sets , costumes and outdoor shots should come up beautifully on Blu Ray. The classic Stephen Foster songs would be nice to hear, even if the biographical storyline is largely fictitious. Don Ameche is always pleasant to see as a performer. Glad he got his Oscar later in his life even if the film (COCOON) was not my cup of tea.
I agree, I've been voting for this movie too. I'm kinda more interested in movies that barely saw a DVD release!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Just a heads up that we are in the final two weeks of voting. I was able to get a peek at some of the raw numbers (sorry I can't share) and in several decades the first and second place titles are less than 200 votes apart, so every vote counts at this stage. Make sure you vote daily for the film you want to win in each decade!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
lionel59 said:
I keep voting for the underdog- SWANEE RIVER.
So have I, because it's never been on DVD (yeah, that MOD, it never happened...) and it's in Technicolor. Never seen the movie myself.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I have learned that an excellent, restored print of SWANEE RIVER has played in the UK on TV. I am guessing that this master would be used for a Blu Ray release. How strange that even for the MOD, a dark and dismal transfer was used. (Then again, it looks like about 20 seconds worth of thought goes into the selection of the masters used for the Fox MODs.)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
That would be a terrific idea. I love the Friedhofer score to SOLDIER OF FORTUNE and the location shots of Hong Kong (close to how it looked when I went there as a kid in 1968). Hayward attempted suicide that year, though I'm not sure if it was before or after the shooting of the film. She was involved in a custody battle for her kids and did not leave the USA, thus the rear projection footage behind her in the close-ups and a "body double" in the longshots done on location. (Lana Turner was photographed the same way in PEYTON PLACE two years later). Hayward gives a good performance in SOLDIER and one-time Goldwyn discovery Anna Sten has a small part in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks