What's new

1776 playing in Santa Monica tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Moe Dickstein said:
The director's cut as seen on the DVD and TCM will screen
Yep, think they've done an Amadeus, and officially replaced the director's cut as the default version in Sony's vault. :(
Think we need a new compromise-version cut by the time it reaches disk: Cool, Considerate Men included, but with the non-depressing Theatrical ending.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Oh my god, nobody but you wants the ending with the main title music back! That kills the proper mood of the ending.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I agree, the tolling bell is a perfect ending to the film.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The funny thing is that the next thing Peter, Ken and Blythe did was a TV version of Adams Rib during which Blythe was pregnant with Gwyneth

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I don't even remember what y'all are talking about with regard to some other ending...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The short version doesn't have a main title, and ends with the main title music and the credits over the declaration. It's truly wrong and horrible.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
The dvd version is the only version I have seen and is the version I fell in love with. The ending is perfect, IMHO. If they release a version with the laserdisc version I would be fine with that, but I'm fine with the current version too as it is the one I love. Watched this last night...introduced it to a friend, who loved it. Please let Mr. Hunt know that people are still falling in love with this film, and consider it to be magnificent. I'm moved to tears by it every time.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am hoping to convince my father to see 1776 for the 4th. He's a tough sell for lighter fare, but I think I can convince him to see a musical with William Daniels because he was on St. Elsewhere, and we watched that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
I am hoping to convince my father to see 1776 for the 4th. He's a tough sell for lighter fare, but I think I can convince him to see a musical with William Daniels because he was on St. Elsewhere, and we watched that.
Remember when Dr. Mark Craig (William Daniels) referred to a Dr. Josiah Bartlett in an episode of St. Elsewhere (one of my all-time favorite TV series!)...

Bartlett (of New Hampshire) was the 2nd to sign the Declaration (after Hancock).

LOVED that reference!

:biggrin:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
No, but I remember when Daniels and his wife were touring Philadelphia and he sung "It's hot as hell in Philadelphia!" The wife broke character and laughed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
No, but I remember when Daniels and his wife were touring Philadelphia and he sung "It's hot as hell in Philadelphia!" The wife broke character and laughed.
And THAT I don't remember!

You know that Mark Craig's wife was played by William Daniel's wife though, right?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Moe Dickstein said:
The short version doesn't have a main title, and ends with the main title music and the credits over the declaration. It's truly wrong and horrible.
Not particularly (speaking as one who saw it in theater in fourth grade):
The director's cut is meant to be somber, showing the drama with which they were Pledging Their Sacred Honor to signing it, etc. But it's just not exit music, and you don't go out of a musical saying "Well, um... :unsure: "
YOU know, from history that the whole Declaration thing ultimately worked out, and WE know it worked out, and to have the patriotic Lees of Virginia theme suddenly burst out over the frozen Copley-painting graphic of the end makes a nice epilogue: The personal drama they went through is now our iconic July 4 history.

(The theatrical opening also saves a bit of time, running the opening credits while Adams is running down all those danged steps, and lets the bit of dialogue in the bell tower be a sort of pre-credit lead-in.)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near Santa Monica. I would attend if I did though. This is a wonderful film all the way around and I sincerely hope the BD comes to fruition and that a high quality DCP is produced so that theaters across the country could program this on the 4th (or whenever). As Moviebuff said, this film is capable of drawing new fans with each succeeding generation.

Congrats to Moe and all those who are attending!

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
I will be watching the Sony Movie Channel showing later on today, it's on at 6:00pm central followed by a repeat at 9:00pm. I also saw it will be on TCM as well at 12:30am on the 5th. I wonder how long it's been since this had 3 showings in one evening on TV? I'm just getting to know this film, although it was around during my younger years it never clicked and I saw part of it on TCM a while back after reading thru the blu-ray wish thread and even though I came in midway (didn't notice it was gonna be on) I finally "got it". So I'm looking forward to watching the complete film tomorrow, and hoping the wife enjoys it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks