What's new

16:9 Native vs 4:3 Native (1 Viewer)

AndyC

Auditioning
Hello guys!

Can some one tell me why projectors with "4:3 native" are cheaper than projectors with "16:9 native" spec? What are some pluses and minuses of having a "4:3 native" spec projector?

Thanks!! :)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
AndyC, they are both about the same price. I am also close to buying my first projector. Most people buy a 4:3 native projector because they play video games, and/or they watch a lot of old movies, and SD TV shows(which are in 4:3). Go to Projectorcentral.com & read up on all the info. Great site. Good luck.

Peter-P

Auditioning
AndyC,
I've been looking into the same stuff, and found a good article talking about the advantages/disadvantages of 4:3 and 16:9... It's on projectorcentral.com:

I can't posts links yet, but this is the site...

projectorcentral.com/formats.htm

AndyC

Auditioning
Thanks guys!

I'll go look for the article at the projectorcentral.com site. Shouldn't be too hard to find. :)

In the past 4:3 projectors were cheaper. If you're looking for roughly the same specs. But see that is become less so. For example, there is the NEC 1100 that is being sold for around 4k US, HD2 chip, 4:3 native, 3000:1 contrast ratio and a 1000 ansi brightness rating. Then you have the Benq 8700...a HD2+, 16:9 native, roughly $4100 US street, 2000:1 cr, and i think 1000 ansi brightness rating. Virtually the same specs. And same price. This wasn't so not too long ago and for the most part still not the case today.

Are there other examples? Love to hear about them. But those 2 projectors seem to be the best deals out there...assuming you have 4k US to spend. :)

later guys!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
4:3 is good if you like

Videogames
Classic movies
Documentaries
TV on DVD

16:9 is good if you like
Movies
HDTV

It's just all about where the bars are - like any other display.

Another advantage not listed yet is computer use. My X1 is 800x600 native, which makes for a cool computer monitor when I feel like dragging the comp. out to the living room. Computer games don't always like funky widescreen resolutions.

micah bjj

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that many video games were starting tohave the option to click from 4:3 to 16:9? I know that Eteranal Darkness on the Gamecube has the option to change to widescreen. I would think with all the widescreen tvs coming out that most games would start to do this.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
There are a few games (Super Monkey Ball 2 comes to mind). But it is still definitely a minority. Not even all the 480p games have it.

AndyC

Auditioning
Hello guys,

Read that article posted! Very insightful! Thanks! :)

There are some Xbox games that are WS. Again very few. Some are even available in HD resolutions like 720p or 1080i. Again, very few. I believe Halo 2 will be 720p.

Didn't know GC would offer games with the ability to switch between FS and WS. NICE! Perhaps one of these eons I might pick up a GC. For now I'll stick with my Xbox. :)

Have a good week guys!!

AndyC

Auditioning
Peter,

Sure you would! Why wouldn't you? You do realize the Benq 8700 can also do 4:3 right? :) Do some digging on the net!

Later...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks