What's new

$1500 budget for sub/speakers/avr (1 Viewer)

Artyfly

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hi, I'm relatively new to the HT venue. I've dabbled but I would like to upgrade since now I'm out of the apartment and into a house, albeit still close to other houses. I would like to know if this setup would work for xbox gaming and bluray movies with the focus on sound quality in a 7.1 system with a budget of about $1500 to include speakers/sub/avr: Marantz SR5005 or Onkyo TX-NR709 or 809 (TestFreaks rated the 5005 & 809 as best mid-level AVRs) with Mirage OMD-5 speakers (6 of these), Mirage OMDC1(center), with a BIC V1220 (12" down-firing sub). Is either receiver underpowered to drive the sub? Should I reconsider the speakers? I don't see a lot of people talking about Mirage speakers. These seem nice looking and sound good I guess - only was able to test 2 so couldn't really tell differences with KEF or Klipsch or Energy set ups at Best Buy. Are SVS or Pinnacle subs good with this setup? I prefer a down-firing sub since I have cats. And does anyone know if the Marantz avr allows one to use an RCA cable to the sub since I don't see where one would go - would I have to use speaker wire to hook up to the sub? (I like the idea of omnidirectional listening but have read that perhaps the omni-directional stuff from Mirage is just hype and any speaker does the same thing as Mirage speakers) All this would be in a 20'(length) x 12' (wide) x 7'(height) room sitting approximately 15' away from the front speakers to accommodate the large viewing surface of the projected image from a projector. Any advise is greatly appreciated as I'm going nuts trying to figure out a good HT for this section of the finished, carpeted, basement area.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Adam, With a $1500 budget, you are spending too much on the AVR. Unless there's a specific feature you need (watts is NOT a reason), then go with a cheaper receiver. The sub has it's own amp so don't worry about powering that. If you like the sound of the Mirage speakers, get them. Spend the money you save on the AVR on a better sub (checkout Lava). Keep in mind with a 7.1 setup , you need space behind you for the rear speakers. If you don't have a few feet in back of you, stick with the side surrounds only (5.1).

Artyfly

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Thank you. I think the reason I was looking at the more expensive AVR (Onkyo) was because it should be able to support 3D when I eventually get a 3D tv or 3D projector. Also, I have about 12 feet behind my recliner to place 2 more speakers. So, why do you recommend the Lava sub?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The price/performance on subs starts with the Dayton models, goes to the Lava models and then gets into the very good to excellent models from Hsu, SVS, Epik Subwoofers and Elemental Designs. If you want to go higher than that, the budget for your entire system won't touch some subs.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Artyfly said:
Thank you. I think the reason I was looking at the more expensive AVR (Onkyo) was because it should be able to support 3D when I eventually get a 3D tv or 3D projector
The Onkyo 609 will support 3D as well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The SR5005 os only $450 shipped from accessories4less.com and I would say that is perfectly reasonable in a 1.5K system. It is an outstanding receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks