What's new

$1500 - $2000 HT Budget (1 Viewer)

lyfeis1

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlos
I need some advice for a starter HT. I was interested in a front projection, with a 5.1 - 7.1 surround. I'm starting from scratch so I'll need it all. So far, the items i've been looking at are below:

Projector: Optoma HD70
Speakers: Klipsch Quintet III
Receiver: Onkyo TX SR604
Subwoofer: No Idea
Screen: No Idea

Any Suggestions/Advice?

Thanks

unotis

Grip
Real Name
Kelly J. Wilson
Look at www.projectionguys.com they have that projector in a package deal for $1249 plus shipping, in the package you get the projector, 92" fixed screen, ceiling mount and 25' HDMI & component cables, they even have some nice upgrades that you can add to the deal (102" diagonal + $100)

With that deal you should have plenty of room to get the Onkyo receiver and maybe then just add the entire Onkyo HTB system (there are several) which includes speakers and subwoofer (cNet reviews picks Onkyo as one of the best HTB available)

Or if you want something different in regard to speakers then check out the KEF Home theater systems, they are great and also include the subwoofer.

Good luck! ;)

joseph westcott

Second Unit
With your budget, you may have to go with a painted wall for a while. A screen could easily eat 1/3 to 1/2 of you budget, even from a company like Carada.

Travis

Second Unit
I'd look into making your own screen for now. I have a do-able home made one that works great. Total parts cost me about 30.00 bucks (board, 1x2's, velvet).

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I would try the white wall apporach to start. If nothing else it lets you figure out the right size for your room, seating position, projector etc. You might be surprised how good a picture you get on a white wall.

I am glad to see you are going the projector route. There are some good projectors now at the $1000 price point (that will blow away any 42" plasma for the HT effect, IMHO).

Good luck, check out my webpage for more general advice.

http://cheapdaveshometheater.com

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
While helping us move into our new house some family-friends saw my new HT room (first room in the new house finished :) ) and after discussing how much I had invested (around $5k) our friend asked if I could help her put something similar together for her husband (recent stroke victim, on disability, watches alot of movies at home during the day) for around $1500. I was interested in the challenge and this is what I've come up with for suggestions so far:

Projector & Screen: InFocus IN72 w/ 92" Fixed Screen - $489 (eCost)
Receiver: Onkyo SR575 - $349 (J&R)
DVD Player: Onkyo SP404 - $94 (accessories4less)
Mains: Polk Monitor 40 - $174 (eBay)
Center: Polk CS1 - $99 (eBay)
Surrounds: Polk Monitor 30 - $124 (eBay)
Subwoofer: Dayton 12" Sub-120 - $149 (Parts Express)
Remote: Harmony 520 - $55

If I had the extra $500 to spend (totaling $2000) the changes I'd reccomend are:

Projector & Screen: Hitachi TX100 w/ 92" Fixed Screen - $719 (eCost)
Receiver: Onkyo SR605 - $399 (J&R)
Subwoofer: Dayton 15" Sub Kit - $298 ($149 more)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks