1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

$1500 - $2000 HT Budget

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by lyfeis1, Feb 28, 2007.

1. lyfeis1

lyfeis1 New Member

I need some advice for a starter HT. I was interested in a front projection, with a 5.1 - 7.1 surround. I'm starting from scratch so I'll need it all. So far, the items i've been looking at are below:

Projector: Optoma HD70
    Speakers: Klipsch Quintet III
    Receiver: Onkyo TX SR604
    Subwoofer: No Idea
    Screen: No Idea

Any Suggestions/Advice?

Thanks

2. unotis

unotis Member

Look at www.projectionguys.com they have that projector in a package deal for $1249 plus shipping, in the package you get the projector, 92" fixed screen, ceiling mount and 25' HDMI & component cables, they even have some nice upgrades that you can add to the deal (102" diagonal + $100)

With that deal you should have plenty of room to get the Onkyo receiver and maybe then just add the entire Onkyo HTB system (there are several) which includes speakers and subwoofer (cNet reviews picks Onkyo as one of the best HTB available)

Or if you want something different in regard to speakers then check out the KEF Home theater systems, they are great and also include the subwoofer.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Well-Known Member

Tim Glover
  4. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Well-Known Member

With your budget, you may have to go with a painted wall for a while. A screen could easily eat 1/3 to 1/2 of you budget, even from a company like Carada.

5. Travis

Travis Well-Known Member

I'd look into making your own screen for now. I have a do-able home made one that works great. Total parts cost me about 30.00 bucks (board, 1x2's, velvet).

6. David-Wright

David-Wright Well-Known Member

I would try the white wall apporach to start. If nothing else it lets you figure out the right size for your room, seating position, projector etc. You might be surprised how good a picture you get on a white wall.

I am glad to see you are going the projector route. There are some good projectors now at the $1000 price point (that will blow away any 42" plasma for the HT effect, IMHO).

Good luck, check out my webpage for more general advice.

http://cheapdaveshometheater.com

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

While helping us move into our new house some family-friends saw my new HT room (first room in the new house finished [​IMG] ) and after discussing how much I had invested (around $5k) our friend asked if I could help her put something similar together for her husband (recent stroke victim, on disability, watches alot of movies at home during the day) for around $1500. I was interested in the challenge and this is what I've come up with for suggestions so far:

Projector & Screen: InFocus IN72 w/ 92" Fixed Screen - $489 (eCost)
    Receiver: Onkyo SR575 - $349 (J&R)
    DVD Player: Onkyo SP404 - $94 (accessories4less)
    Mains: Polk Monitor 40 - $174 (eBay)
    Center: Polk CS1 - $99 (eBay)
    Surrounds: Polk Monitor 30 - $124 (eBay)
    Subwoofer: Dayton 12" Sub-120 - $149 (Parts Express)
    Remote: Harmony 520 - $55

If I had the extra $500 to spend (totaling $2000) the changes I'd reccomend are:

Projector & Screen: Hitachi TX100 w/ 92" Fixed Screen - $719 (eCost)
    Receiver: Onkyo SR605 - $399 (J&R)
    Subwoofer: Dayton 15" Sub Kit - $298 ($149 more)