What's new

130,000+ people die due to tidal wave in Asia... (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member

OK. As I stated, I hadn't seen this figure of $7M or $4M, only the total currently committed.

So, I contacted those who know. In fact, the Red Cross requested 6.6M, as we provided $400,000 from the state agency of Japan (a US Embassy) which is what it had "in the kitty" allotment basically; and then approved $4M immediately; the US and Red Cross began talks today to offer the red cross goods/items which would be needed with the expenditures, including water purification and vaccinations, etc. from US bases within the Phillipines and Sri Lanka, and we expect to know what portion will be better served by that aid soon.

In other words, we believe that a big chunk of what they need the $ for can be more quickly provided direct from us as donated immediately.. which isn't a bad idea, IMHO.. the biggest concern right now is disease spread, etc. and stopping it. If we can quickly get them the vaccine or purification equipment they need faster then they can buy it and get it, we are better off to give the country the equipment.

Note: this is outside of the commmittment above to $25M..

Just thought I'd offer :)

Michael Hedman

Auditioning
Here is another one filmed by a Swedish tourist in Phuket: http:/www . dagbladet . no/download/tsunamiphuket.wmv (remove spaces)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is wow! (Ok, I'll say more)!

It hasn't been mentioned here, but I did hear that the island of Indonesia has moved about 6" due to the quake and that it actually altered the orbit of Earth!

When you're done thinking about that... I'll second the notion to get the dead buried. The sooner that is done the better off everyone there is.

I think that what we should have done was to ask for some volunteers to fly over there and help them out. Many companies here in the US of A are going through the 'dead week' so asking to go and help wouldn't be that bad. That would have been the greatest humanitarian effort ever.

It wouldn't be that hard to get some transport planes ready and some of those MRE's for the volunteers.

Glenn

SteveLa

Stunt Coordinator
I see that Amazon.com has a direct link on their home page for donations to the Red Cross. The last time I remember them doing that is after 9/11. I just made my contribution. So far up to $750K.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Actually, it was the Earth's rotation about its own axis that was altered, not its orbit.

Not that that is any less mind boggling.

I'm convinced that water, water purification, food, drugs, and help burying the dead are what they need most, and all of that can be more than paid for with the money already contributed. More money at this very moment won't help. But I hasten to add that none of this would be of any benefit if international aid organizations like the Red Cross weren't doing the hard work of putting this money to work in a meaningful way. Amazon.com made it easy for me to contribute.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Right now, there in Those areas, what they really need are able bodies. More then anything else. The removal of dangerous items and the arrival of water purification systems and people to distribute it are of highest concern, more then anything else. There is great concern over the spread of things like Tetanus, Hepatitis, bacterial disease, and general sickness.

TV over there is reporting there may be as many as 88,000+ dead as of this moment.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
This tragedy has such gigantic proportions that it's difficult to comprehend. Watching the death tolls being updated is devastating.

With so many countries being hit by the waves, and with many tourists from other countries visiting those places, the effects are felt internationally. Scores of British and German tourists are dead or still missing. Among the dead are victims from all Scandinavian countries, including 54 from Sweden, 18 from Norway, 10 from Denmark, and 14 from my country so far. In such small countries with low population, a tragedy such as this will certainly be remembered for a while. And I cannot even begin to understand what it must be like at the disaster areas right now.
:frowning:

I read in the news that in addition to local authorities trying to keep score of the victims, many teams from various Western countries have been sent to the affected countries affected to try to locate and identify dead victims from their respective countries. I cannot imagine a worse job than this. While I am sure disaster relief workers in the area encounter unspeakable horror in their work, they can at least try to provide help to those suffering yet still alive. However, going through piles of bodies day after day - bodies left vulnerable to the elements because there are too many to store properly - and seeing the faces of so many dead... I don't think I could do it, and I have the utmost respect for those doing this job.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
CNN is calling it 67k now, unbelieveable.
there's also a story about some american divers that were under water when it hit.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
So much of the news I'm hearing and reading uses the word "tidal" to describe the waves.
Makes me wonder how accurate anything else they report is.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The woman in the video (that Joe posted) confirmed the fear that I was thinking I'd have when she said that she was scared because she didn't know how high it'd get. Seeing that footage, I'd be freaking out that the water wouldn't stop rising. That's got to be a freaky thing. Just like being caught in a hurricane where there's absolutely no place to hide from natures fury.

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
I'm proud of my country's efforts to provide whatever assistance is needed. And, I'm sure many individual americans will step up to the plate once known what is needed most.

I'm shocked though that France's contribution is $136,000.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
It's going to be hard to judge the contributions of countries by the money they give. Lots of people are going there to help with cleanup and all that stuff, sending donations, etc. Plus, donating money to Red Cross and oganizations of their ilk are the best way to put money in because it's the only way it's going to help. What else are you going to do, cut a check to the Sri Lanka government?

The thing that blows my mind, in retrospect, is that the governments said that it was too expensive to have the Tsunami warning system in place, yet you compare that to the cost now... tragic, ironic, whatever you want to call it, it's sad.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Because that's the hard work that is about volunteers, not money.. and hten,a fter those kind of things are done, then you get to needing the other.

FYI, Water purification units, the large military form, began active service today from US military bases in the region, and volunteers are helping to distribute fresh water.

The figure is now over 100,000.

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/art...0Standard&ct=5

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Sadly, Indonesia was doomed from the start. An early warning system would've made no difference. After the earthquake on Sunday, the waves arrived at Indonesia within a few minutes.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What is even sadder is that Israel was sending 160 medical and search personel to Sri Lanka and was turned away because they were Israeli. The team was going to set up a couple of emergency field hospitals.

Not to start a political debate. But, this is a horrible thing. You have 100k's of people who are in desperate need. And your government refuses help for petty politics. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks