What's new

120GB "Slim" PS3 officially announced (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=221475

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170393/gdc_sony_reveals_ps3_slim_slashes_ps3_price_to_300.html

This new slim PS3 retains the features of its larger older brother, while being 36 percent lighter, 32 percent smaller, and $100 less than the current 80GB price!

The Official Specs, courtesy http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/sony-debuts-slimmer-ps3/

• Product name: PlayStation 3
  • Product code: CECH-2000A (Charcoal Black)
  • CPU: Cell Broadband Engine™
  • GPU: RSX
  • Audio output: LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
  • Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
  • Hard disk: 120GB 2.5" Serial ATA
  • USB 2.0 ports: 2
  • Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth 2.0 (+EDR)
  • Controller: Wireless Controller (Bluetooth) x 1
  • AV outputs: HDMI x 1, AV MULTI OUT x 1, Digital out (optical) x 1
  • Resolutions: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i (for PAL 576p, 576i)
  • BD / DVD / CD drive (read only): BD × 2 (BD-ROM), DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM), CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
  • Power: AC 220 – 240, 50/60Hz
  • Power consumption: Approx. 250W
  • External dimensions (excluding maximum projecting part): Approx. 290 × 65 × 290 mm (width × height × length)
  • Mass: Approx. 3.2kg
  • Included in box: PlayStation 3 system × 1, Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK 3) × 1, AC power cord × 1, AV cable × 1, USB cable × 1

Edited by Nicholas Martin - 8/18/2009 at 09:54 pm GMT

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Allegedly no backwards compatibility reinstatement
Allegedly no way to remove and replace the hard disk

Hmmm
Sam
I don't know about the ps2 backward compatibility, but the various larger images in the first link I posted don't reveal any obvious place for a hard drive, except for maybe the bottom of the console, or possibly the front underneath the slot drive where the various logos (DTS HD, Dolby, DVD, etc) are located. Those images also reveal fewer ventilation holes (in the back only), so it's probably true - like the current PS3 there aren't even any obvious screws holding it together in those images either.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette

What I am most interested to discover is how much quieter it is, if any, than its predecessor.
Doesn't the loudness of the console depend on how it's used, the specific model, and where it's placed?

Mine only ever made noise when the internal fan turned on when I had it in a smaller space than I do now, or on a very hot day like what the weather's been lately.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ps2 is OUT Linux is OUT hard disk replace is IN bundled game = no pain voucher = no wifi = in shame about back compat but overall a win over the 80

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So this is intriguing to me. At $299 it's closer to a reasonable price as a Blu Ray player per se.

I don't care about PS2 compatibility, wifi, or upgradable hard drive. I have no interest in PS3 games for that matter; I've got a 360. But this plus the Logitech Harmony adapter and maybe it's a good Blu Ray player and priced similarly to other upper-mid players.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

Ps2 is OUT Linux is OUT hard disk replace is IN bundled game = no pain voucher = no wifi = in shame about back compat but overall a win over the 80
Looking at the official specs, looks like wi-fi is still there.

Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE [SIZE= larger]802.11 b/g[/SIZE], Bluetooth 2.0 (+EDR)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Ps2 is OUT
Linux is OUT
hard disk replace is IN
bundled game = no
pain voucher = no
wifi = in

shame about back compat but overall a win over the 80
Yeah, I shouldnt even freaking bother to post on the iPhone, I know. All its gonna do is get me ticked off again.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I've heard some of the older configurations like the 60GB had loudness issues and excessive heat and so on, and yet it was (I think) considered to be the best model but I'm just vaguely remembering what I may or may not have read about the console's history.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Most likely, yes, but it is the bolded part I'm interested in all other things considered equal. I doubt they'll ever be a PS3 as quiet as I'd like (i.e. as quiet as a standalone), but hope springs eternal.
Skimming the links, I saw it noted that the Slim has significantly lower heat output than the original. So hopefully the Slim is cooler and consequently quieter.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

I've heard some of the older configurations like the 60GB had loudness issues and excessive heat and so on, and yet it was (I think) considered to be the best model but I'm just vaguely remembering what I may or may not have read about the console's history.
The 60GB is the model I currently have in our family room. It is in a small space, which probably doesn't help, but when I had it in my media room's rack, which was a bit more open, it was still too loud for my tastes. I don't mind it for its current application because it was the last of the completely backwards compatible models if I recall correctly.

Skimming the links, I saw it noted that the Slim has significantly lower heat output than the original. So hopefully the Slim is cooler and consequently quieter.
Yes, I noticed that too. I'm mainly just keeping tabs on it for now. I'm very happy with my Panasonic DMP-BD55. But should the need ever arise to upgrade my player and, let's face it, it always does, I'm curious if PS3 Slim could make an effective standalone replacement.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
All the other features, most specifically video file playback and storing / viewing digital camera photos are the reason I'll stick with a PS3. I don't play games except for the odd demo download which I can't figure out very well, and while I can't get access to all the things Americans can (the Canadian Playstation store is extremely limited) that's fine. I've found easy enough methods of file conversion so I can watch most videos on it instead of the computer. I bought it exclusively for Blu-ray but even that's almost secondary now.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Also, what is this 'pain voucher' you speak of?
It's not my fault, I swear. =p

Pain is a low cost Ragdoll Physics genre game (see: Stair Dismount etc on google to see what i am talking about) that has become a kind of 'platform' on the PSN network. You download the base game for $5 or so (unless you buy the high end PS3 which comes with a voucher / code on a slip of paper which you can type in to get the game via free download) and then you can just play this base game OR you can add on optional extra characters, playgrounds, and extras. The rough idea is you shoot a guy out of a canon and try to get him to hit specific landmarks which make him hurt in extremely bad ways, blow him up, land on sharp objects, flip into comical poses, etc.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
hard drive is replaceable

and supposedly all models on the floor now are suppose to be marked down to 300 also

ars talks to sony
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/sony-answers-our-questions-about-the-new-playstation-3.ars

part of the article:

Can you still upgrade the hard drive? "Yes, you can. It does not void your warranty. In fact, we encourage it," Koller told us. He explained that the drive is now located on the front of the system, not the side, and changing out your hard drive will still be easy. "It's a two-screw process," he explained.

Don't worry about being stuck with "just" an 80GB hard drive. The ability to install your own hard drive is still there, and Koller seemed enthusiastic about people modifying their systems in this way.

Will there be a power brick? "This is a new power cable; it uses a third less power." Koller answered. He then listed the three big changes made to the hardware: the power consumption has been decreased, the cooling system has been redesigned, and the Cell processor has moved from a 65nm process to a 45nm process.

He also told us that there will be a power brick, although we can expect it to be small. He laughs when I ask about the power brick's size in relation to the 360's power supply. "It's nothing like that," he assured Ars. There will also no longer be a power button on the back of the hardware; it has instead been moved to the front. [Update: after watching a few unboxing videos, it actually doesn't look like they'll be a power brick. There must have been some confusion on this question.]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My question is then: does the PS3 behave like a dedicated DVD / Blu Ray player?

If I have a PS3 Slim and the Logitech Harmony adapter (to work with my Harmony One remote), will it be just like a disc player to my wife? Or will her experience be like that of loading a game in the Xbox 360 to play a movie?

Using a game player to watch movies is a no go; I could replace my DVD player with the 360, but the it's too clunky. (My 10 year old DVD player is easier and better.) But if it's using a disc player that happens to also play games, that might be a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks