What's new

10 Things I Hate About You Series (1 Viewer)

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Have you all heard that they're remaking the movie 10 Things I Hate About You into a TV series? The cast is all different, except for the guy who played the dad, Larry Miller (funniest part in the movie, IMO)...I'm looking forward to it because it's one of my favorite comedies from the 90s. It'll be on ABC Family this summer - anyone else thinking of watching?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the movie had great potential to be adapted into a series, but I'm not a big fan of the cast they put together, other than Larry Miller. It's just a little too obvious for my tastes; for instance Bianca is the hot cheerleader type, instead of the articulate, seemingly innocent American school girl, and Kat looks like a goth-ish outsider. I liked that you had to wait until Julia Stiles opened her mouth to figure out that she was the shrew in the movie. There's no way Ethan Peck's going to be as interesting as Heath Ledger was as the shrew tamer, either. For one thing, he's not Australian so you lose the enigmatic back story. For another thing, he's not Heath Ledger -- though I suppose I can't really hold that against him.

EDIT: minor wording fix

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
The new actor playing Patrick Verona is, however, the grandson of Gregory Peck. I thought that was kind of cool, since GP is a pretty legendary actor.

I get what you're saying about a new cast, but honestly, I wouldn't want exact replicas of the characters from the movie on the show - then it would just seem like a copy rather than a standalone show that's just inspired by something else. Kind of how Buffy the Vampire Slayer got a new cast that wasn't really similar to the movie it was based off of.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Definately a great movie, based of course on "The Taming of the Shrew." I don't think this show would be made had it not been for the passing of Heath Ledger. Can you get away with "There's a dick on my face!" on ABC Family?

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
HAHA! I forgot about that part! So funny - I personally love the "I drive a Corolla. That's a Toyota" line.

But have you ever seen Greek on ABC Fam? It's surprisingly edgy...if this show is similar at all, I'm guessing that anything goes. I'm ready to hear some more classic lines from Larry Miller trying to scare his daughters away from ever hooking up with a guy...hehe.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to let you all know that the premiere episode is available on iTunes right now for free. I just downloaded and I'm about to watch it right now, so if anyone else does, let me know! I'm excited to finally see it :)

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Aaah, yes...Lindsey Shaw! She plays Kat - I watched the episode and she did an awesome job. She's super cute and really funny, as I'm sure you already know from watching Aliens in America. I definitely recommend that you download it if you want to see it ahead of time - it's it will definitely be a cute show to watch this summer.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Just watched the pilot on Itunes and enjoyed it. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. I love the movie so I wasn't expecting good things from the pilot. I was wrong.

Definitely on my list now.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently watching episode #2...I really liked the pilot, but this, I think is even better. It demonstrates that the show is going to deviate from the movie a bit, which is good b/c it would be annoying if they tried to stick to it exactly, since you can't really draw that movie out into a series. I love the high school setting, really - with all the different social groups. And Larry Miller - he is just so hilarious! Anyone else watching tonight?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The pilot was not that great, but the second episode was better. The actor who plays Patrick looks like a slightly less gay Michael Urie from Ugly Betty. Interestingly, the rich bitch is black and the school perv is Asian. In the past, both of those unsavory roles would always be white actors lest any minority group get offended. So I guess that's progress.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

The pilot was not that great, but the second episode was better. The actor who plays Patrick looks like a slightly less gay Michael Urie from Ugly Betty. Interestingly, the rich bitch is black and the school perv is Asian. In the past, both of those unsavory roles would always be white actors lest any minority group get offended. So I guess that's progress.
I think Patrick is really attractive and manly (hehe)...especially that deep voice! The show definitely deviates from the typical sitcom stereotypes, though...which is great! I love shows about high school :) Episode 3 is on tomorrow night!

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I'm enjoying this series so far. I really like the girl who plays Kat (she was on Neds Declassified). Even though it is based on the movie, I think this show has a lot of potential to stand on it's own. I really like the cast, except the guy who plays Verona. He creeps me out. Other than him, I think they did a great job casting it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The third episode was pretty lame. It's like they found an unused of 8 Simple Rules For Dating My Daughter script and changed the names around. Bianca and Kat were irritating, but Cameron was like a hemorrhoid. Another stinker like this and I'm outie.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I liked episode 4, even though the entire conceit about the affair with the teacher was creepy at its core -- even creepier, the fact that he turned out to be a pedophile was played for laughs. This is on ABC Family Channel? The Kat story was more enjoyable. The whole thing about Cameron being her gay friend was hilarious.

Episode 5 had a good Bianca story, but the Kat story fell flat. It was totally pointless. Wow, she made the guys eat crow. What a blow for who cares. Still, this broke the string of good even numbered episodes followed by terrible odd numbered episodes.

Oh, and if they ever make an Archie Comic movie, they should cast Lindsey Shaw as Veronica Lodge. She's a dead ringer.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Another poor outing for the show, and another instance of creepy pedo stuff on a show that airs on the ostensible "Family" channel. As a bonus, the way they measured the hits on the website was wholly unrealistic. Which just shows that the writers were more interested in the creepy online aspect and it was not in any way a realistic portrayal of a serious subject. I'm inclined at this point to drop the show if the producers continuously display that this kind of subject matter is at all appropriate, regardless of the channel it airs on.

Oh yeah, and the writing and the two plots were hackneyed and recycled. There are times with the show that it feels like the writers are dumpster diving behind the Charles in Charge set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks