What's new

10.5.2 is available (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sweet, I will do this when I get home tonight. I also have some other software to install. I'll make an evening of it. [SARCASM]Who-hoo.[/SARCASM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Release the hounds!

I downloaded the combo updater straight from the site (343MB) just out of sheer paranoia. In very rare instances in the past, the smaller update via Software Update was missing some things that running the combo updater gave you, so out of habit I install the combo updater version. And of course the graphics update as well.

I like the way that stacks can be disabled (or, better put, that "automatic" knows when the list is too unwieldy for stacks and defaults to list view). I don't game so I can't tell what graphics improvements came with the new driver.

The update also claims to improve 802.1x compatibility. My new Trendnet TEW-633GR draft n router doesn't play nice with my MBP when there's any combination of .n enabled, so I have to be running at .g. When I get time I'll try to set the router back to .n and see if the MBP will keep a stable connection.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Very nice little update. I'm glad to remove Time Machine from my dock, thanks to the new icon in the menu bar. Stacks open more smoothly in Grid Mode, it seems. And no more translucent menu bar! Woo-hoo!

The usefulness of the new Stacks option to use the original Folder icon (instead of the auto-icon) is mitigated by the Leopard's inscrutably lousy folder icons. I'll stay with the auto-icon, thanks to the stacks overlay trick.

I hoped beyond hope that 10.5.2 would finally provide Time Capsule features to the Airport Extreme. No such luck.

A good update, altogether.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
After upgrading to 10.5.2 using an Intel iMac and an Airport Extreme base station, I'm getting random drop offs from the WiFi connection. The "radar" symbol in the right side of the menu bar greys out, and when you click on it it takes a few seconds to recognize the base station and when you click on it it connects...

Sometimes it just disconnects and connects on it's own.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Raul

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've read about this on other Mac sites. Don't know if there's any solution. I suggest looking around Apple's discussion / support forums and MacRumors' forums.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about your dropouts. 10.5.2 actually helped stabilize my connection (2.33 C2D MBP). My MBP would not hold a .n signal from my Trendnet router if its life depended on it. Not more than 2-3 minutes before a drop. Now it will hold it, but I get better performance from .g connection, so I am still keeping my router on .g. But at least at .n the MBP will hold the connection.

Users who are viewing this thread