Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Cue Mortal Kombat theme music:

IT HAS BEGUN!!!!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/19/apple-to-introduce-host-of-new-machines-new-multitouch-input-de/

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/10/19/tomorrow

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Bloody hell. I was getting ready to go to the local Mac store today, and buy a new 13" MBP. Wonder if I should wait for a bit.... gah!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hmmm, a new MacBook Power Adapter pretty much confirms new, redesigned MacBooks. And a new iMac VESA connector does the same for iMacs.

I think.

Bloody hell. I was getting ready to go to the local Mac store today, and buy a new 13" MBP. Wonder if I should wait for a bit.... gah!
The MacBook Pro line is not rumored for any updates today - just the entry-level plastic MacBooks. Still, probably won't hurt to wait a bit in case there are minor speed-or-spec-bumps to the MBP line.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr

Let me rip out my credit card...I've really been pining for a new MagSafe adapter.
The MacBook Pro line is not rumored for any updates today - just the entry-level plastic MacBooks. Still, probably won't hurt to wait a bit in case there are minor speed-or-spec-bumps to the MBP line.
Or price drops even without spec changes -- never hurts to wait 2 hours -- I'm sure the store will be back up by 1PM EDT.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Engadget has all the scoop on the new goodies.

New wireless Magic Mouse. Bluetooth, one button, with multitouch surface. This one is intriguing.

New iMacs are 21.5" and 27" 16x9 displays. Wireless KB and new wireless Magic Mouse standard. SD slot added to what was there previously. Entry level is 3.06 C2D w/ 4GB & 500 MB HD for $1199. Core i5 & Core i7 options available - Yeah!!! Quad-core option only on 27" model - Booo!! I simply don't have the room for one of those beasts in my current iMac unit, as much as I'd love one. OTOH, there's a good excuse for new furniture.

New MacBook. Unibody plastic. LED screen, glass trackpad, 2 GB RAM (upgradeable to 8 GB). As expected, no firewire.

Refreshed MacMinis. Mainly spec bumps (same prices). New model - dual HD running Snow Leopard server (unlimited clients) for $999.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
New iMacs also have 4 SO-DIMM slots, meaning they're upgradeable to 16 GB!! An 8 GB upgrade (4 2GB sticks) should be pretty affordable.

Edit: Just checked the specs page. They do ship with 2 2GB SO-DIMMS, so adding 2 more will be a quick and cheap upgrade to 8 GB.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Check out the Magic Mouse video on the Apple site. After over a decade of underwhelming pointing devices, Apple may have a real breakthrough here - assuming it works as well as the video shows. I know I look forward to never having to deal with another mouse ball or nub getting gunked up.

BTW, looks like they're still selling the wired Mighty Mouse, although now it's just called the Apple Mouse. Also looks like the wired full-sized KB is still available. I assume it will be a CTO option. Good for those of us who like our numeric keypads.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I'll reserve judgement on the new mouse until I've tried one myself. I've found multi-touch on the MBP's trackpads to be far too sensitive for my liking.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No Blu Ray on iMacs still...but at what they're offering (27" = quad core + 2560x1440 res--I always had a problem with the dpi on the 24" 1920x1200) and the 16GB RAM capacity, new Mouse (my current Mighty Mouse is pissing me off with the unresponsive scrolling ball) I'm willing to forego the wait.

I'm buying a 27" with the i7 and ATI 4850 upgrade options sooner rather than later. My credit card plastic is already heating up. Glad I didn't buy a quad core Mac Pro recently (because I would also need to buy a monitor and I don't have that kind of $$$ right now). I know the Pro would still beat these in benchmarks, but the new iMac should get me most of the way there with a substantial monetary savings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks