What's new

$1,000-1,300 HDTV Suggestions? 65in+ (1 Viewer)

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Ok gentlemen. I need help finding a TV for my new apartment. These new technologies coming out have really bumped down the price of TVs I still think are amazing. So obviously my price range rules out LED, 240hz refresh rate, multimillion to 1 contrast super TVs that are floating around now. I'm fine with that anyway, that soap opera look those TVs has makes viewing less enjoyable based on what i've seen.

So I was hoping to get laid with a huge 65 inches or more but I might be willing to go down to 60-62 inches based on what I'm dealing with. 3D ready would be preferable but not required. A 120hz refresh rate hopefully? The technology doesn't matter to me but im guessing this will mostly involve DLP.

Cheers!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

the only model in your price range would be the Mitsubishi dlps. Dell.com has run some great deals...I have seen the 73" version for around 1200 which includes delivery.

Good luck!!

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XUR5FO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000P5A8D4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QVD25SZ765N8SGDYZHR

any opinions on this beast?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

Originally Posted by Allen Marshall

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XUR5FO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000P5A8D4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QVD25SZ765N8SGDYZHR

any opinions on this beast?

DLP rear projection sets have their adherents. They excel at producing a film-like image but are softer-looking close up than flat panel models. Mitsubishi's the only company that still makes them. The projection lamp must be replaced every 3 years or so depending on how much you use the set and how frequently you power cycle it. Check out the price of replacement lamps before pulling the trigger. According to Consumer Reports about 10% of these sets fail within the first few years, vs 3-5% for most flat panels. Viewing angle is a little restricted, more so vertically than horizontally.

Since your budget is going to restrict you to 46" or so in an lcd and 50-54" in a plasma it's about your only choice.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
I was hoping this could be a good spot filler while I wait out the gap for the newest ultra technologies to come down to modest prices or maybe even long enough so that it's replacement will be OLED. The issue there is whatever i replace it with is gonna have to be atleast 73 inches or its just gonna annoy the heck out of me. I mean, how many people upgrade by downsizing? Also, even on one of those 55" samsung LED LCD tvs, my only complaint other than the motion effect of the high refresh rate was "this tv needs to be bigger for 3D".

what would you do with $1,300?

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Congrats! I loved my 65" Mitsu, but when it sprouted hundreds of dots, I had to settle for another technology as the wife did not want the same thing to happen again. I tried to explain that it was only a problem for a small percentage, but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks