What's new

Winter in Wartime Blu-ray Combo-Pack (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Winter in Wartime

Studio: Sony Pictures Classics
Year: 2008
Rated: R
Program Length: 103 minutes                          
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 1080p
Languages: Dutch, French DTS-HD 5.1 MA
Subtitles: English, English SDH

The Program

Winter in Wartime is an engrossing and suspenseful film which depicts life in Nazi-occupied Holland during the final winter of World War II. Based upon a semi-autographical novel by the Dutch writer Jan Terlouw, Winter in Wartime shows the occupation as seen through the eyes of Michiel (Martijen Lakemeier), a 14-year old boy. It is January, 1945, and the tide of war has turned inexorably against Germany, which nonetheless has maintained control of Holland since 1940. A substantial portion of Holland was liberated by the Allies in the fall of 1944, but the northern and western provinces remained in control of the Nazis. What followed is what the Dutch people called the "hunger winter," when Germany cut off food and fuel shipments to 4.5 million civilians in retaliation for a railway strike.

The shortage of food and the constant presence of German soldiers essentially constitute Michiel's understanding of the war. His father, Johan (Raymond Thiry) is the mayor of the town in which they live, and Michiel has a difficult time comprehending why his father must cooperate (but not collaborate) with the hated Germans. Everything begins to change one night when a Royal Air Force plane is shot down and crashes in the woods not far from Michiel's house. The next day he and a friend go out to look at the wreckage, and they manage to grab a couple of souvenirs before they are chased away by German soldiers. What no one realizes is that the RAF pilot has survived the crash and is being cared for by members of the Dutch resistance.

Michiel gets drawn into this when he comes into possession of a note which gives him directions to where the injured pilot is hiding. Michiel has been warned by his father and his Uncle Ben (Yorick van Wageningen) to avoid any involvement in the war. He holds his uncle in high esteem because Ben has been an active member of the Dutch resistance. Nevertheless, Michiel tells no one about the note and he rides his bicycle into the woods. There he finds the British pilot, Jack (Jamie Campbell Bower), lying in a camouflaged hiding place which was built by members of the resistance.

The prospect of aiding a downed flyer proves irresistible to Michiel. He begins to smuggle food and supplies to Jack and looks for ways to get the Englishman away from the Germans, but what starts out as a young boy's adventure soon takes tragic turns. Michiel has to grow up quickly when he is exposed to the horrors of war and the treachery of Nazi collaborators. Avoiding discovery by German soldiers is complicated by the realization that Michiel cannot be sure which of his countrymen can be trusted.

Winter in Wartime is extremely well-made, with excellent acting, high production values, and evocative location filming in Lithuania. The film is well-paced by director Martin Koolhoven, who never allows it to sound a false note. This is an unusual war film which has nothing to do with stirring battles or grand strategy. It is about the terrible price paid by civilians whose fates are largely in the hands of others.

The Video

This is a beautifully crafted film which has been given an excellent high-definition transfer by Sony. The 2.35:1 1080p image appears to be properly framed. The image is highly detailed and is marred only by the somewhat excessive use of hand-held cameras, particularly in the film's early scenes. Contrasts are strong, black levels are solid, and shadow detail is very good. Colors are not vibrant, which is appropriate given the setting, although the reds in Nazi flags are bright and solid. Flesh tones are accurate. I saw no evidence of excessive DNR or other digital anomalies. It is another first-rate Sony transfer.

The Audio

The lossless 5.1 DTA-HD MA audio is very good, and the surround channels are effectively utilized to immerse the viewer into the action. The crashing plane creates a loud and realistic explosion, and the occasional sounds of machine gun fire are presented very effectively. Some of the dialogue is in English, as the Dutch characters are fluent in Jack's native language. Most of the film is in Dutch, and the English subtitles are very legible and easy to read. The film also boasts an effective musical score which is given a wide and pleasant soundstage.

The Supplements

This is a combo pack which includes a DVD of the feature.

The film's theatrical trailer is included. The only other true extra is a standard-definition anamorphic widescreen "making of" featurette. The director and the principal actors rave about working with young Martijn Lakemeier, who had no professional acting experience before he was selected to play Michiel. Director Martin Koolhoven discusses the fact that he chose to film most of the exteriors in Lithuania because he was certain that there would be ample snow on the ground during filming. However, he was chagrined to find that it scarcely snowed at all while they were there, and he had to use snow machines for most of the outdoor scenes.

Sony has included trailers for Of Gods and Men, In a Better World, The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, Incendies, and Life, Above All.

The Packaging

The Blu-ray disc and the DVD are packaged in a standard-sized Blu-ray keep case.

The Final Analysis

Winter in Wartime is an unusual and unflinching examination of a part of World War II with which most Americans are unfamiliar. It also is very suspenseful and exciting, and it commendably avoids the sentimentality which all too often characterizes war films which focus upon children. It had a limited theatrical release in the United States, but it may find a receptive audience on Blu-ray and DVD.

Equipment used for this review:

Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray player
Panasonic Viera TC-P46G15 Plasma display, calibrated to THX specification by Gregg Loewen
Yamaha HTR-5890 THX Surround Receiver
BIC Acoustech speakers
Interconnects: Monster Cable

Release Date: Available Now (released on July 26, 2011)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am happy to see that Rich chose to review this title as I have

recently had the opportunity to watch the Blu-ray myself.

For the most part, I thought this was indeed an exceptional

film. My only complaint, without saying too much, is that

I found it to be somewhat predictable. Once members begin
their feedback after watching this film, I'll discuss more.

The transfer is indeed wonderful, as described.

I would highly recommend this film as one to put on hold

at your local video kiosk or Netflix account.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I own the Dutch Blu-ray of this film, and it's indeed an excellent movie. I didn't know what to think when I heard that Martin Koolhoven, the director, purposely didn't go for the classic 'sepia look' with static framing for a war story, but a modern look with ditto framing, but it absolutely works. The actors are all top notch, with acting veterans Raymond Thiry and Anneke Blok making the movie seem credible, and several of the younger actors delivering fine work too. Martijn Lakemeier deservedly won a Gouden Kalf (Golden Calf, more or less the Dutch Oscar) for his role here. I'd also like to mention the incredible score written by Pino Donaggio. Chosen by Koolhoven for his association with Spaghetti Westerns, he's more famous for his work for several of Brian DePalma's movies, and writes a great score for this too. Several of the bigger (or more operatic) moments wouldn't work nearly as well when they wouldn't have the score under them. Ronald, I assume you're only talking about the plot points when you mention it's predictable? I have to agree, to an extent, but it's the emotional resonance that makes the movie work for me.
For instance, you could argue that Uncle Ben turning out to be working for the Nazis is a predictable plot point, but you can clearly see that he didn't want his relatives to be hurt in any way. That he stays believable even after he's been revealed the 'villain' is in part due to the actor's wonderful work, and Martin Koolhoven's strong directing. It may seem to be a boy's tale, but especially at the end you realize that Michiel is clearly affected by all this. How long that will last, who knows?
The Dutch Blu-ray, by the way, has several additional features. An audio commentary, several visual effects demonstrations, deleted scenes, a documentary about the hunger winter, and many more. However, since none of those have English subtitles, it's of no use to people here. Anyway, I would urge everyone to see this incredible movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brian,

Your plot spoiler is exactly what I was referring to.

Very predictable.

However, as you pointed out, the film still works nonetheless.

I think it's a sensational film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.