What's new

Let the buying begin... 2011 B&N Criterion sale (50% off) begins Tuesday, July 12 (1 Viewer)

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
i made a somewhat conservative list of titles as i'm not a blind buy kind o' guy.Although,i did for one here after seeing that series on youtube called :3 reasons (pertaining to the Criterions ) The release of Criterion 's 8 1/2 was nothing short of spectacular,but since i see it as Fellini's masterpiece and an homage to filmmakers everywhere,i have nooooo trouble double-dipping on this one. Wings of desire Days of heaven and my one blind buy,Amacord,a buddy of mine told me the story and it seems to be well in my Fellini kind of tastes. Boy was i surprised to see Alvaro Vitali in this clip,and he seems to be a huge part of the film That film looks to me like,although the resulting film is probably one of Fellini's best,it was a pure joy to actually be part of it. There is a " joie-de-vivre " kind of feel about it.hence the blind buy. I haven't seen many Fellinis yet,maybe the guy is growing on me. The next one i want to watch is I Vitelloni (1953 ) This sale is on till August 2nd ?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yes indeed, that's #1 for me. Fortunately, I've already acquired some other recent releases thanks to Amazon's sale a couple of months ago. That takes some of the pressure off and lets me catch up on a few older items that have been on my list forever.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I noticed that Amazon has dropped prices on some Criterion titles this morning. Blow Out was a little over $20 when I looked this morning.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Southpaw said:
Hope I can get Something Wild during this sale.
Jason, B&N allows you to special order Criterion titles that are not in stock, and will give you the same 50%. I peeked in the box at our store here in Maine, and they had two copies of SOMETHING WILD. They will hold a title for three days for you if they have it in stock, or two weeks if it's special ordered (although I think the sale only runs for two weeks or so). They're very lenient about this, making the sale all the more a goldmine.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Extra online coupon codes to decrease the misery. These codes should be available to everybody and does not require being a BN Member. Preorders are not eligible items. I think these are single use per account codes: L7C8F9D 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until July 13, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. T9P8A9P at checkout. 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until August 1, 2011. Note: The following coupon will deduct a percentage off each eligible item (your whole cart) and most importantly can be used multiple times J3M9D8K 10% discount will be applied to ALL eligible items in your cart. Valid to July 19, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. There are some other In-store coupons available to Members, but nothing real exciting -- no 25% off coupons and the $5 off $20 that was so useful in previous sales seems to have been eliminated. $8 off $40+ which eliminates most of regular Blurays though there are a few single movies it should work for plus the boxsets $5 off $50+ total purchase.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by MattH.

I noticed that Amazon has dropped prices on some Criterion titles this morning. Blow Out was a little over $20 when I looked this morning.
Thanks. That is one of the titles on my list. Robinson Crusoe on Mars and The Great Dictator round out the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just look at my listing and I really don't have that many blu-ray titles from Criterion that I need in my collection. Besides Kiss Me Deadly and The Great Dictator, I have to wait on preorders like Beauty and the Beast.

Crawdaddy

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Randy_M said:
Is this in-store only? I'd pick up "Night of the Hunter" and "Diabolique" on blu.
No, it will go online Tuesday morning (occasionally a little early if we are lucky) and begin in store Tuesday at opening bell.

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Coupon codes have not been allowed online on Criterion titles in the last few BN Criterion 50% off sales. Store coupons, in-store only.
David Norman said:
Extra online coupon codes to decrease the misery. These codes should be available to everybody and does not require being a BN Member. Preorders are not eligible items. I think these are single use per account codes: L7C8F9D 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until July 13, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. T9P8A9P at checkout. 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until August 1, 2011. Note: The following coupon will deduct a percentage off each eligible item (your whole cart) and most importantly can be used multiple times J3M9D8K 10% discount will be applied to ALL eligible items in your cart. Valid to July 19, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. There are some other In-store coupons available to Members, but nothing real exciting -- no 25% off coupons and the $5 off $20 that was so useful in previous sales seems to have been eliminated. $8 off $40+ which eliminates most of regular Blurays though there are a few single movies it should work for plus the boxsets $5 off $50+ total purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Online coupon codes do generally work for Criterion titles when it's *not* during their 50% Criterion sale. They specifically tag all the Criterion titles for that sale so that online coupons won't work -- there are very few exceptions like Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

For those who won't have membership (to get the in-store membership discount, etc.) and are interested in the following few titles (marked at 30%-off MSRP), you might consider buying 3 of them online on one order using the above mentioned 10%-off-total-order coupon code w/ the current B2G1 sale, which ends today, instead:

* Solaris

* Diabolique

* Kiss Me Deadly

* Great Dictator

That would run you ~$16.80 each (before any applicable sales tax), and you'd qualify for free shipping whether you're a member or not. You'd have to have B&N membership and shop in-store to possibly beat that during the 50% sale.

Also, if you have a Discover Card, you can get 10% cashback w/ it using their ShopDiscover portal. There are probably other cashback/rewards deals you can do otherwise, eg. get double points for Best Buy's My Reward Zone via their shopping mall portal.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks