What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gettysburg -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm a fan of Ron Maxwell's work on his two Civil War films, and look forward to Cleburne, a film about Confederate general Patrick Cleburne.

His films are imbued with a passion that never abates. His soldiers and officers are purposeful, his leads fully human. There is far more here than actors speaking lines. If I had to select a favorite, it would be Martin Sheen's Robert E. Lee, a characterization that possesses a texture of noble born humility and desire for respect and fair play, even in war.

Gettysburg is a wonderful film, and in its 271 minute Director's Cut should have been a bear to compress to a BD-50. But somehow WB pulled it off with nary a problem.

Watching the film, which is further hampered by its 1.78:1 aspect ratio toward compression, I finally came to realize that on a shot by shot basis, there must have been enough held shots to allow the faster moving frames to access the highest levels of data throughput, ending up with a successful single disc four hour plus production.

The new Blu-ray, with its DTS Master Audio track works beautifully on screen. Perfect color, great blacks and shadow detail, wonderful stability.

Both Gettysburg, as well as Gods and Generals, have been released by WB to commemorate the 150 anniversary of the Civil War. If you're going to add one to your library, and you should, it would be Gettysburg.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This is great news! I have both of Maxwell's Civil War films on preorder. I was worried about 4 hours on one-disc. I am glad to hear Warner pulled it off. Hadn't heard of a movie on the often neglected Patrick Cleburne. Sounds quite promising.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Robert Harris said:
I'm a fan of Ron Maxwell's work on his two Civil War films, and look forward to Cleburne, a film about Confederate general Patrick Cleburne.

His films are imbued with a passion that never abates. His soldiers and officers are purposeful, his leads fully human. There is far more here than actors speaking lines. If I had to select a favorite, it would be Martin Sheen's Robert E. Lee, a characterization that possesses a texture of noble born humility and desire for respect and fair play, even in war.

Gettysburg is a wonderful film, and in its 271 minute Director's Cut should have been a bear to compress to a BD-50. But somehow WB pulled it off with nary a problem.

Watching the film, which is further hampered by its 1.78:1 aspect ratio toward compression, I finally came to realize that on a shot by shot basis, there must have been enough held shots to allow the faster moving frames to access the highest levels of data throughput, ending up with a successful single disc four hour plus production.

The new Blu-ray, with its DTS Master Audio track works beautifully on screen. Perfect color, great blacks and shadow detail, wonderful stability.

Both Gettysburg, as well as Gods and Generals, have been released by WB to commemorate the 150 anniversary of the Civil War. If you're going to add one to your library, and you should, it would be Gettysburg.

Highly Recommended.

RAH
Comes out in July doesn't it?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TonyD

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Comes out in July doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

July 5th!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Roberts post says have been released. I have the set preordered on Amazon they have a July 4th release. So I was confused and had to go over to amazon to see if it was already released.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by TonyD

Roberts post says have been released. I have the set preordered on Amazon they have a July 4th release. So I was confused and had to go over to amazon to see if it was already released.

Seems to be a bit of confusion as to the release date. May 24 appears to be correct, although publicity materials originally noted March 24.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Seems to be a bit of confusion as to the release date. May 24 appears to be correct, although publicity materials originally noted March 24.

RAH

Forgive me, I forgot that there are two separate releases for Gettysburg. The Blu-ray Book release is May 24th while the Limited Collector's Edition is being released on July 4th.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, Gods and Generals is being released the same way. The Blu-ray Book on May 24th and the Limited Collector's Edition on July 4th. The latter release will have both Gettsyburg and Gods and Generals titles in it. Again, the Limited Collector's Edition coming out on July 4th will have both titles in it while on May 24th, both titles will be separately released as a Blu-ray Book.

Crawdaddy

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

By the way, Gods and Generals is being released the same way. The Blu-ray Book on May 24th and the Limited Collector's Edition on July 4th. The latter release will have both Gettsyburg and Gods and Generals titles in it. Again, the Limited Collector's Edition coming out on July 4th will have both titles in it while on May 24th, both titles will be separately released as a Blu-ray Book.

Hmm, I just picked up the previously released GODS AND GENERALS Blu Ray for $4.00. Will there be anything different on the upcoming release or will it only be new packaging?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Professor Echo

Hmm, I just picked up the previously released GODS AND GENERALS Blu Ray for $4.00. Will there be anything different on the upcoming release or will it only be new packaging?

The next release for Gods and Generals is a different cut of the film than what you just bought on BRD.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

The next release for Gods and Generals is a different cut of the film than what you just bought on BRD.

Different how? Extended? I've never seen the film and only bought it because it was cheap and I figured it would be an Blu befitting "EPIC." I wonder if I should return my copy....

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thank you for the link, Robert! I had missed that. Oh well, it was an impulse buy, but I might as well return it and put the measly four bucks toward the DC. I don't need to have both.

rob007

Grip
Real Name
Robert
I just picked up both of these films today at my local HMV store here in Canada. I guess someone goofed up and threw them on the shelf a few days early. Also picked up Papillon and Le Mans. As Gods and Generals is the only one I have viewed so far I shall comment on that one. I saw this film originally in theatres and then on DVD and Blu but this new version simply blows away the previous. The movie flows better and is now divided into 5 parts which are announced with a title card on the screen for each part.

It is incredible to see the new subplot about John Wilkes Booth. It also shows Booth's friendship with the spy, Harrison, who also shows up in the movie Gettysburg with the same actor. Also, you get a lot more Jeff Daniels. I do not want to say too much to ruin it but the Antietam scenes also fill the movie out and show more of Stonewall's progression as a general. The sound is quite loud and I did not notice any particular difference between this and the previous DVD. I am not a technical sound or picture person so it is hard for me to comment, seeing as I possess no surround system, nor a TV bigger than 32".

The picture is bright and very similar to the first DVD. The sound is slightly different for all the added scenes, almost as if the voices etc sound a bit louder. Maybe this is because they were not done in post back at the time of the original premiere. The booklet that comes with the Blu has a nice essay by Ronald Maxwell, as well as small bits about each character and he actor or actress who portrays them. There is also a Civil War Timeline and a Civil War Weapons glossary.

One thing I shall mention is that we finally get to see Stonewall acquire and name his horse, Little Sorrel. Seeing as the horse was tied into his life at that point it is quite touching and nice to see. The little bits like this make the film seem a little less robotic and a little more human. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I am sorry I could not say anything more technical, but it's just beyond my realm. This is a guy, after all, who can plop in The Six Million Dollar Man and just enjoy it for what it is. Cheers.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
rob007, thanks for the tease about G & G. I know Maxwell and others who had seen the full cut said that the theatrical cut was a mess. Funny how a cut version of a long film sometimes seems longer than a longer cut. Too bad the Booth subplot will never reach a conclusion. I never got around to reading The Last Full Measure (I have it and I should read it), but I wonder if the Booth plot was even in it. The thing that annoyed me most about G & G was that Maxwell did not follow the book terribly closely; but seemed to concentrate on making his own version of the story in the same time frame. Maybe the new cut will more closely resemble Jeff Shaara's book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks