What's new

Skyline - Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray/DVD problems (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
This is just a heads up if you are one of the about 20 people in this country who actually want to own this "masterpiece."

I bought a copy of the Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray/DVD disc of Skyline last Tuesday and decided to open it up and watch it last night. When I pulled the disc out I noticed it was unusually thick so I looked a bit more closely at it. It is quite literally two discs glued together back to back. I had a feeling that I'd have problems with it but I tried it out anyway. My Panasonic DMP-BD35K tried for about a minute or two to read the Blu-ray side but finally spit out an error about not being able to read the disc. I then tried the DVD side in my PC and the disc started making a horrible noise in my DVD-ROM drive. It sounded like the drive was about to rattle apart becuse of the heavy disc not being balanced properly. Needless to say I stopped the disc within seconds of the loud vibrations starting so I don't know if it could be read or not.

I don't know who thought that gluing two discs together back to back was a good idea but I hope they are no longer in charge of making such decisions. I'm going to take this disc back and attempt to exchange it for a Blu-ray only copy or perhaps just get my money back.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It was probably the same person responsible for the (un)special effects in the movie. They probably used the same glue used to make the model airplanes used in the movie. :D

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I purchased my copy from Amazon which is just the BluRay version and it played perfectly.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Good to know. Hopefully Best Buy will exchange my copy for a Blu-ray only copy or give me my money back. I'm guessing that two discs glued together back to back is going to be a problem for most Blu-ray and DVD players or computer drives. I assume it won't even fit in any sort of slot loaded player.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I took it back to Best Buy today and showed it to the clerk at the customer service counter. She gave me my money back with no questions asked. The funny thing is, she tried to pull it apart just as everyone else that I have showed it to has done. I guess most people think that it looks like some sort of a mistake or soemthing.

They ended up getting even more of my money anyway since I walked right over to the Blu-ray section and picked up all three of the new Scream Blu-rays and bought those.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Todd Stout

I took it back to Best Buy today and showed it to the clerk at the customer service counter. She gave me my money back with no questions asked. The funny thing is, she tried to pull it apart just as everyone else that I have showed it to has done. I guess most people think that it looks like some sort of a mistake or soemthing.

They ended up getting even more of my money anyway since I walked right over to the Blu-ray section and picked up all three of the new Scream Blu-rays and bought those.

It was all part of their master plan :) For what its worth I have several "hybrid" Blu-ray/DVD discs and I have never had a problem with any of them.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I have Red (I think that was another Best Buy exclusive) and both sides of that one play just fine. Of course that one is about the thickness of a regular DVD or Blu-ray disc unlike the Skyline exclusive. I still have several HD-DVD/DVD hybrid discs in my collection and none of those have ever given me any trouble either. I'm still scratching my head wondering how anyone could have thought that gluing two discs together back to back wasn't going to cause problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks