What's new

F.B.I. from WBA (1 Viewer)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not . WB Archives has The F.B.I. season 1 part 1 up for pr order . It has 16 episodes for over 700 min . It's listed now at $19.99 . Not too sure that price will stay . Sounds a little low compared to Cheyenne .

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by borisfw
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not . WB Archives has The F.B.I. season 1 part 1 up for pr order . It has 16 episodes for over 700 min . It's listed now at $19.99 . Not too sure that price will stay . Sounds a little low compared to Cheyenne .
Well I'll be a blue-nosed gopher! A friend and I were discussing this very thing yesterday and I have to admit I was beginning to think the posts about this show coming to dvd over at the WBA Facebook page were too ambitious. And yet here it is. Maybe we'll see the Ron Ely Tarzan dvds come out soon as well.

Gary "that is a good price - too good based on what I've seen of recent WBA TV releases" O.

Edit: P.S. - The set is not actually available for pre-order just yet. It's listed as an upcoming title but when I click on it the page does NOT come up. I just get an error message that says "The product you are looking for could not be identified."

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by borisfw
Can you provide the link? I've looked all over the site and can find nothing.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just went to the WB archive site and the listing is now gone from the pre order page . I can't even get anything from search . My guess is someone on the site jumped the gun . Hopefully it will be back up soon . But i'm betting not at the $19.99 they posted this morning . I hope they keep that price but looking at the price of Cheyenne i'm thinking not .

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Frank, was this listed as a four disc set, or as an eight disc set? The Yellow Rose will apparently be a five disc set, much to my surprise. BTW, I'm quite happy to see this show is coming soon. I'd gladly pay $40.00 a season for it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Season 1, which for me is the best season of the run I'd pay even $70 for! Hope that link is back up soon but I think this confirms that even if it's a bit later on than we'd like it is indeed coming, and for me this is the last Holy Grail title of unreleased 60s shows for me!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Listed as a 4 disc set and the price is now $39.99 if you pre-order. It is back up with the "corrected" price.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahollis
Listed as a 4 disc set and the price is now $39.99 if you pre-order. It is back up with the "corrected" price.
Unfortunately that sounds more like the pricing I expected. And remember, this is only for 1/2 of the first season. That's a big NO SALE for me personally.

Gary "Warners only owns a few TV shows I'd be willing to pay premium prices to own" O.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I knew $19.99 was too good to be true . But i was hoping i was wrong .

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That price is not going to phase me in the slightest given how I have in the past paid the SAME price for half-seasons of titles from CBS/Paramount that I never would rate as important to me as "The FBI". This is as good a deal as "Perry Mason" and certainly a better deal than "Gunsmoke" for a title that is one of my Grails, and I plan on getting it without hesitation.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There is a big difference between CBS/P releases and WA releases. CBS/P discs are usually restored to exceedingly good quality and use pressed discs and have subtitles/captions.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to buy this from WA, but I agree with Gary, this is a no sale in my book.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
It's too much for me as a blind buy. But maybe when I have most of the others on my list, I'm looking for something new, and WBA has a sale that includes free shipping, I might just give it a try since it seems to be highly rated.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would question the idea that CBS/Paramount is always "exceedingly good". Sure, we've seen great transfers in a lot of them, but a hell of a lot more butchery on the issue of music. I could care less about subtitles and I've yet to be convinced that DVD-R is supposedly a horrible end of the world format for this kind of thing since I have more than once had to deal with bad discs in CBS/Paramount releases.

This happens to be one of the most significant unreleased on DVD titles for quite a few years and I guess it irritates me to see a chorus of bitching about the price being too high and the quality standard being low instead of what should be a lot of gratitude for the fact that all of us who have had to deal with butchered episodes from American Life in boot sets can now finally start the process of tossing them out. Considering that the FBI is an hour show would a season of 32 half hour episodes of a sitcom title for the *same* price be a "rip-off" in your eyes?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve...O
There is a big difference between CBS/P releases and WA releases. CBS/P discs are usually restored to exceedingly good quality and use pressed discs and have subtitles/captions.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to buy this from WA, but I agree with Gary, this is a no sale in my book.
Agreed. I know we'll never have a resolution to the "do burned DVD-Rs equal pressed DVDs?" question, but I'm still firmly in the camp that they are not equal formats and therefore a BOD release should not demand the same price, much less a higher price, as an official studio DVD release. There may be a few things here and there that I'll buy, but it's going to have to be something really, really special for me to pay upwards of $80 for a season set. And for the record, I've not been paying anywhere close to $39.99 for the Perry Mason releases. I've been catching those at under $30 (sometimes under $25) per release with smart online shopping.

Brad brought this up before, but the biggest problem I see with these releases is that unlike pressed studio DVD releases, these BOD releases are almost never going to be reduced by 30-50%. And that's going to turn away a lot of "blind buy" purchasers who might take a chance on something if they can pick it up on a solid discount. These WBA releases really are premium priced and unless it's a "holy grail" release I doubt most people are going to take the plunge. At least that's the way I see it.

Gary "but I am glad for fans of the series - better this than nothing" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P
This happens to be one of the most significant unreleased on DVD titles for quite a few years...

Wow! I guess if I felt that way about this show I'd shell out $80 to buy it. But since I don't feel that way about it I'm not going to take the plunge. Jack, I'm interested in what it is about The FBI that made you use such lofty language. Can you elaborate?

Gary "while my hearing is fine personally, I can fully understand others being disappointed with the lack of subtitles or closed captions on these sets" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I just happen to like the show that much, in particular these early episodes in which the character of Lewis Erskine was less a cipher and more of a three-dimensional person. I enjoyed how the show could at times blend the Dragnet procedural approach with the Naked City character study approach.

I never saw the show until it was made available on that short-lived AOL on-line viewing thing and that was when I got hooked into those early seasons. It's been a Grail title of mine ever since, and I would note that for shows that started in the 1960s, this has been the longest running unreleased title up to now which is significant. No other title that started in the decade that ran as long or longer has gone without a DVD release (though few that started in the 60s ran as long as nine years or more).

I recognize the show is not to everyone's taste and isn't on everyone's grail list, but frankly I think I'd prefer this news be a time to give us who are excited to see this happen at last the center stage instead of another tiresome rehash on whether WA's approach sucks or not. In a day and age when we're already carping enough about the *lack* of vintage material becoming available, the least we can do is appreciate the fact that there are still ways to bring these titles to us at last.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the explanation, Jack. I certainly have no desire to "thread crap" so I'll be more than happy to not rehash the WBA issue.

Gary "as I said before, I am sincerely happy for those that wanted this show" O.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
4 episodes per disc - Are these duel layered? Have they finally solved the issues with duel layered -R for MOD?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
To be clear, I am happy for those who want this show and are finally able to get it. I have no desire to rain on their parade.

However I do stand behind my opinion that these are overpriced and are not as good a value as products purchased from other studios, including independents like E1 or Shout, much less majors like CBS/P. This is not a reflection on the quality of the show, but the way Warner chooses to offer it. In the end, this is unfortunate because this discourages blind buys which would increase exposure to those unfamiliar with the series.

As an aside, subtitles are great for late evening viewing when the family is in bed and you don't want to wake your spouse. In these busy times, the only time available to watch DVDs is later in the day.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If "The Fugitive" were made available with restored music for S2 and S3 in this format at the same price, I think the collective chorus of "Who cares?" in regards to how it was being released would be a lot higher.

And considering how Warner has sat on their archive of TV shows for basically a decade now, I think it's time to applaud the fact that they are showing enough regard for their catalog of TV shows in addition to the many movies that have been made available in this format (they're certainly doing a better job of releasing catalog content than the other studios who have tried this route). Which brings up this point. I have purchased a LOT of movies from Warner's Archive program in which you are talking about 2 to 3 hours of content for $20 so why in the world should I then regard *16 hours* of content for double the price to be "overpriced"?

Maybe we have too many collectors who have forgotten how much we used to have to pay for these things when we were starting out or who have forgotten what movies on DVD still cost to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks