What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Hereafter (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
476c6b75_B0034G4OY0-51ANj-78ueL.jpg

Hereafter
Release Date: March 15, 2011
Studio: Warner Home Video
Packaging/Materials: Two-disc Blu-ray "ECO-BOX"
Year: 2010
Rating: PG-13
Running Time: 2:09:02
MSRP: $35.99

THE FEATURE

SPECIAL FEATURES

Video

1080p high definition 16x9 2.40:1

Standard definition

Audio

DTS-HD Master Audio: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: French 5.1

Various

Subtitles

English SDH, Spanish, French

Various

The Feature: 3.5/5

French television journalist Marie Lelay (Cécile De France) almost drowns in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, and is compelled to learn the truth behind what she experienced in those moments of near death. Once known for her hard-hitting investigative work on politics and social issues, she turns her attention to the metaphysical, much to the consternation of her colleagues.

American George Lonegan (Matt Damon) possesses a powerful psychic ability to connect with those in the afterlife, but is unable to cope with the mental and emotional toll. Despite efforts to abandon that part of his life, he can't seem to avoid what his brother Billy (Jay Mohr) says is his calling, but that he considers a curse.

London schoolboy Marcus (Frankie and George McLaren) experiences a tragic loss when his twin brother Jason is killed in a traffic accident. In a constant state of grief, he looks for ways to re-connect with the person who was not just his brother, but his best friend.

In their search for understanding about death and the afterlife, Marie, George and Marcus's paths will eventually cross. But in that moment will they be able to help each other, and ultimately find the answers they've been looking for?

For all its flaws, Clint Eastwood's meditative exploration of the hereafter is a bold piece of work, something that in the hands of a less confident filmmaker would have turned into a disposable, supernatural genre piece. Instead, things like Marie's life changing, white light experience and George's psychic burden are treated with absolute seriousness, to the point it draws out viewers' own beliefs on the matter. Indeed, the palatability of the final act will be determined by one's level of life-after-death skepticism. As mostly a skeptic, my initial reaction was to call the closing scenes an upending of what preceded them, and a perfect example of Hollywood's inability to forsake a happy ending. While things are still tied up too neatly at the conclusion for my taste, the film was never presenting the afterlife as some great unknown. It was defining it in pretty concrete terms, so the ending is really only guilty of overstating its case, not contradicting it. While that still makes for a less-than-perfect piece of storytelling, compounded by an overemphasis on George's unhappy love life, "Hereafter" remains a thought-provoking examination
of what might happen when we move on from this world.

Video Quality: 4.5/5

The film is accurately framed at 2.40:1 and presented in 1080p with the AVC codec. Black levels, contrast, color and sharpness are excellent across the board, showing off the depth and mood of Tom Stern's beautiful cinematography to great effect. Viewers should also be impressed by the transfer's level of detail in areas like skin, hair and fabrics, all without signs of digital sharpening or noise reduction. Some might notice spots of distortion or softness to the image, but this appears inherent to the source and the method in which the movie was filmed (i.e. anamorphic scope).​

Audio Quality: 4.5/5
Dialogue in the 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix is consistently clear and intelligible, though some may need to enable the subtitles to make out what's said in the London settings. Deep and powerful LFE cues are present whenever George makes a psychic connection, and will rattle the room to its foundation. Surround effects - both atmospheric and environmental - are seamless and exceptionally balanced throughout.

Special Features: 3/5
The Focus Points featurettes don't dig in too deeply, but the documentary on Eastwood's long running work with Warner Brothers should appeal to most. A DVD and digital copy provide a measure of convenience for those looking for a more portable viewing option.

Focus Points (42:26, HD)
Featurettes highlight various aspects of the production, viewable concurrent with the feature or independently.

• Tsunami! Recreating A Disaster (6:33): Digital compositing methods used to recreate 2004's Indian Ocean tsunami.

• Is There Life After Death? (3:58): Cast and crew give their two cents about the afterlife.

• Clint on Casting (7:23): Cast and crew talk about their experiences with the various actors.

• Delving Into the Hereafter (6:00): Cast and crew share their thoughts about psychics and mediums. Real life medium Allison DuBois (who inspired the series "Medium") also describes her work.

• Twin Bonding (5:53): A look at the personal and psychological connection between identical twins, with anecdotes from Producer Kathleen Kennedy and her twin sister Connie.

• French Speaking French (1:45): The reasons for having French characters speak their native language instead of English.

• Why the White Light (3:29): Details of the near death experience.

• Hereafter's Locations - Casting the Silent Characters (3:03): Visits to San Francisco, London, Paris, and Hawaii.

• The Eastwood Experience (4:17): Cast and crew talk about how much they enjoyed working with the director.

The Eastwood Factor - Extended Version (1:28:27, HD): Directed by Richard Schickel and previously included in the "Clint Eastwood: 35 Films, 35 Years at Warner Brothers" DVD collection (though apparently in a much shorter 30-minute cut), the documentary traces Eastwood's work with Warner Brothers starting with 1971's "Dirty Harry" and ending with 2009's "Invictus." Though it doesn't offer many insights, it does make for an extremely well made career highlights reel, enhanced by interviews with Eastwood himself, visits to the Warner Brothers lot, and narration by Morgan Freeman. Presented in high definition with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio and subtitles in English and French.

DVD: Watch the feature in standard definition 2.40:1 anamorphic video and Dolby Digital 5.1 at 384 kbps audio.

Digital Copy: Incorporated into the DVD "Combo Disc" and compatible with Mac and Windows. Offer expires March 13, 2012.

Trailers: Skippable, pre-menu trailers for new theatrical releases "Hall Pass" and "Red Riding Hood."

Recap

The Feature: 3.5/5
Video Quality: 4.5/5
Audio Quality: 4.5/5
Special Features: 3/5
Overall Score (not an average): 4/5

Warner Home Video turns in an excellent presentation of Clint Eastwood's thought-provoking, but flawed, meditation on life after death. The highlight of the special features is undoubtedly the high definition presentation of "The Eastwood Factor," making the title worth consideration if only for ownership of that retrospective documentary piece once only available in a much larger and expensive release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching this Blu-ray.

I had a real curiosity about this movie. It was panned

by critics, and after reading Cameron's somewhat
encouraging review, I decided I needed to see this
film for myself.

I'm sorry to say I really disliked Hereafter. In fact,

I was so bored by it that I wanted to turn it off several

times but wrestled through it nonetheless.

The film tells three different stories that one must
sacrifice two tedious hours watching in hopes of a

climatic ending. After all, you would expect as

much from Director Clint Eastwood. The sad fact

is that how these characters just "happened" to

come together at the end of the film is something

only plausible through bad Hollywood scriptwriting.
There is no climax. Just a film void of emotion.

On the other hand, the Clint Eastwood documentary

might be worth the price of the Blu-ray alone. That

was something I thoroughly enjoyed.

Rent this if you must.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Keep in mind that Warner rentals include no supplements. The only way to see the Eastwood documentary is to buy the disc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just noticed that the supplements are in HD, When did Warner start doing that?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It seems that titles with Focus Points have those items in HD, necessitated by the option to view them along with the feature. Fairly recent examples are The Town, Sherlock Holmes and The Book of Eli. The documentary on Eastwood being in HD seems to be a special case, but we shall see.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think the film could have been significantly shortened by reducing or eliminating the subplot involving George's dating experience. The only thing we get out of it is

knowing he's lonely and frustrated. They didn't need to belabor the point by having us get so invested in their relationship only to see it fall apart.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill

Keep in mind that Warner rentals include no supplements. The only way to see the Eastwood documentary is to buy the disc.

Since "Eastwood Factor" was released on its own (on DVD), I'd think you'd be able to rent it that way.

Not that I think it's a very good program - I think it's fairly mediocre, honestly. As is "Hereafter" - I agree with Ron that it's a snoozer...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like this film more than those that posted in this thread and can't wait until my BRD arrives so I can view it again along with that fine Eastwood documentary.

Crawdaddy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
That pretty much sums up my position on the film. I'll watch it again someday, but it's certainly no hurry. That said, I'll likely grab the Blu-Ray for the documentary alone!

Originally Posted by TravisR

Me too but at the same time, I'm not racing to see it again either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks