What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Jackass 3 Unrated Two-Disc 3D DVD/Blu-ray Combo/Digital-Copy (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Jackass 3D

Studio: Paramount Studios
Year: 2010
US Rating: Unrated (Blu-Ray), DVD Rated R for Male Nudity, Extremely Crude and Dangerous Stunts Throughout, and for Language
Film Length: 99 Mins Unrated Edition, 94 Mins Theatrical Edition
Video: 1080P High Definition 16X9 - 1.85:1
Audio: English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French, Spanish and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese

Release Date: March 8, 2011

Review Date: March 6, 2011

“Warning: The stunts in this movie were performed by professionals, so for your safety and the protection of those round you, do not attempt any of the stunts you’re about to see”

Introduction

I don’t understand the fascination with Jackass. An MTV series exalting the foolishness of adolescent-mired men finding new ways to out-brave their peers in getting hurt in many elaborate and not-so elaborate ways, followed by theatrically released versions of these men doing the same thing boggles my mind. I have tried to avoid watching these things. Watching people dare themselves to do stupid things was entertaining to me – for a brief time – growing up. But one must surely tire of seeing people get hurt. Apparently not. The leader of this group, Johnny Knoxville, has managed to find a life outside of these exploits, doing particularly well in Walking Tall and he is joined by an band of brave brothers willing to subject themselves to gross and painful feats. If this is your cup of tea, then you will find Jackass 3 highly entertaining. But ONLY if this is your cup of tea.

The Film: 2 out of 5

If you are reading this review, you have either been intrigued by the title or you are familiar with the premise. For the still curious (or attention deficit), here is the idea:

Idiots doing dangerous stunts in attempts to hurt and humiliate themselves. Over, and over, and over again.

I’ll admit, there is a certain elegance to the profound stupidity on display here; a level or art to the sub-optimal IQ on display by individuals who, if they are not stupid, certainly enjoy playing stupid people on television (and successfully now in film).  The third installment of the Jackass series added 3D as a major selling point. It worked. The opening weekend for Jackass 3D surpassed even the most optimistic projections, raking in over $50MM, almost as much as the first Jackass film’s entire domestic run ($64MM). This third film ended up with over $117MM in its coffers and establishes one of two possible statements about the state of entertainment. Either 3D is such a fascinating mover-going experience that audiences are eager to experience all forms of material, or stupidity itself is cause for worship. That may be a little ‘black and white’ for what is essentially the ‘grey’ of entertainment and good taste, but one cannot help but be dismayed at the attention such tomfoolery garners when important films like Restrepo, Inside Job, and Waiting for Superman – serious documentaries that examine the state of society today, gain but a fraction of the attention that Jackass does.

At the risk of sounding like a humorless curmudgeon – I understand that serious documentaries are designed, and often appeal, to different people – or at least people seeking very different entertainment pursuits, but from my perspective, films like Jackass add nothing of consequence to the world; they do not require any talent to ‘create’ beyond an irrational fearlessness and 5th grade imagination for all things ‘poop’ and ‘penis’ related.  I can’t lie, there were a couple of moments where I chuckled, not at the silly stunts, but rather at the ‘visual’ gags, such as the scene where the very rotund member of this groups asks an unsuspecting passerby to look after his dog while he ran into a corner store, only to confuse the passerby when what emerges is a rotund little person, wearing the same clothes, emerges to claim ‘his dog’.

Clearly, I am not a fan.

I cannot escape the reality that these are grown men who seem perpetually stuck in the hazing phase of young male group bonding. Almost always shirtless, and slightly less often in nothing more than their y-fronts, this group set-up gross, dangerous, and mind-blowingly foolish stunts and situations to make themselves laugh – a lot – and by extension the audience.

Paramount has provided this Blu-ray release in an unrated version, but has also included a now ‘old-style’ anaglyph 3D theatrical on a DVD along with 4 pairs of Jackass branded card glasses. The 3D effect works better than expected with the actual stunts themselves (the more elaborate stunts, such as ‘Electric Avenue’ or the ‘High Five’), with greater depth of field having greater effectiveness. This theatrical version is roughly five minutes shorter than the unrated edition.

The Video:  4 out of 5

Framed at 1.78:1 (compared to the 1.85:1 seen theatrically), this 1080p AVC encoded video looks good. The slow motion sequences (typically set to music designed for humorous effect), show off the ripples of punched faces and more well. Details is fine, color balance well-handled, and resolution sharp. The stunts and foolishness are filmed in a variety of placed – indoors in studio hallways and rooms, and outside in fields, bull runs, and the slim of a mansions pool, and this provides for some slightly different looks and qualities – though all are high.  

Paramount should have released this film in a true 3D version, but this marks the latest in a short line of Paramount films that enjoyed a run in 3D theaters only to be released in 2D versions to the general public (the ‘classic’ style 3D not withstanding).

The Sound: 4 out of 5

The English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 is aggressive. From the rock tracks that accompany the brutality of ball smashing and taser gauntlets, to the mix of well-known tracks, such as the Rocky Theme that accompany face smashing and any number of other bodily parts being stung, smashed, violently launched into the air, and more.

The Extras: 3 out of 5

All extras are presented in 1080p HD

The Making of Jackass 3D: A longer than expected behind the scenes but of value for fans of the film or the Jackass series.

Deleted Scenes: A series of deleted scenes and snippets.

Outtakes: I wasn’t sure the purpose of outtakes when many failed attempts are included as part of the feature, but what this really amounts to is an extension of the movie.

Theatrical Trailer

Final Thoughts

Despite a chuckle or two for me (and guilty ones at that), I don’t care for this type of entertainment. I don’t begrudge those that do, but hope that the diet of people who eat this up includes more substantial materials to outweigh this. I feel like I am being grumpy or unfair with my assessment – even a little high and mighty to those that may find legitimate entertainment value in this. But it does nothing at all for me.

Overall 2.5 out of 5

Neil Middlemiss

Kernersville, NC

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks Neil. While Jackass isn't my cup of tea either, I probably could have been suckered into buying it IF it had been released in "true" 3D Blu-ray. For those who are Jackass fans, Paramount is doing a live launch party for Jackass 3 tonight. If you want to watch you can visit their facebook page www.facebook.com/jackass or view it live on www.livestream.com/jackass3

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don’t begrudge those that do, but hope that the diet of people who eat this up includes more substantial materials to outweigh this
Are you sure you don't begrudge people that like this type of entertainment? The vulgar has a long standing tradition in comedy, there's a could be a solid argument made that the vulgar invented comedy. And that's why Jackass has a place in entertainment.

While I find your critique completely useless and confused (comparing a comedy to a documentary? Like one validates or invalidates the other?) and the above quoted line about "hoping that the diet" to be stereotypically retarded and close minded, I do like that you were able to put these personal things aside to give a fair review of the actual transfer quality. I had no interest in seeing this in 3D since I'm no longer supporting the format. I do however enjoy the "Jackass" brand and look forward to picking up this up tonight to watch with some friends on a movie night.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Oh Russell. Vulgarity in comedy I have no beef with, but I don't believe this is even close to comparable. The comparisons I make in the review acknowledge the different playing fields, but I'm talking about the macro-level implications of what will gain attention - and lots of it. It's out of balance (just like the subjects of our new media outlets are out of balance). I think there is an issue (again, in aggregate) with the disparity between stuff of substance and the Jackass stuffs of the world. It's ok that you and I view the value of this differently. I've argued plenty through the years why Bill Hicks' form of comedy is more valuable than 'clean' comedy, or why boobs and cussing on television is better for society than violence (UK vs US telvision standards). But I can't fathom how having a growm man eject feces from his backside when it is painted like a mountain as part of a model train set environment - which makes obsevers and camera operators gag - is worth paying 10 bucks to go see in a theater. And no, as I stated, I don't begrudge those that will enjoy this even when I dont 'get' the fascination.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Try to differ with an opinion without resorting to insults too.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sorry, but I don't see the value of a review in comparing something to something totally different. If you wanted to argue that compared to other current comedies that Jackass is more stupid, then fine. But to compare what the creators would call a lowbrow comedy to highly regarded documentaries? It's like throwing around the names of renowned films like "Citizen Kane" or "The Godfather Part 2". If someone critiqued something like "Troll 2" and stated that it failed to deliver the look and aesthetic of "Citizen Kane", I mean really, no one would take it seriously. And despite your numerous references of "not wanting to pass judgment", you seem to proceed to do just that, even admitting that you come off "...even a little high and mighty to those that may find legitimate entertainment value in this." As a fan of Jackass, sorry, but I take it a little personal to be considered a mouth breather who doesn't understand value in entertainment, or to have someone hope that I seek more "highbrow" fair.

Frankly, I don't know why you didn't pass this one off to a reviewer more familiar with the brand? I don't know how the HTF works for this, but clearly you're not the man for the job (which isn't a personal attack, but a judgment based on you're already clear opinions). I do typically enjoy your reviews, this is the first one I've taken issue with, and that's purely because from a forum point of view it seems ridiculously skewed. You state in the opening before you even start that you've avoided all things Jackass up to this point, and the review of this title suffers from it. We get an introduction bashing the movie, and recap that does nothing to tell us of the quality of the feature since while you can compare it to high brow documentaries, you DON'T compare it to the other films in the series. Everyone knows it's about stupid people doing stupid stunts, are the stunts better then the previous or is it more of the same? I know you hate this stuff, but there is a quality to it. Most of the stunts in Jackass 2 were based on Tom and Jerry cartoons, is there a theme to three? We have no idea. Instead we get the bizarre comparison I already mentioned.

As far as the extras, no comment on the quality there either really. Jackass 2 featured extras so packed with unseen stunts of quality it was like a bonus sequel. Is that present here? Again, no idea other then a basic list of what's on the disc:

"Deleted Scenes: A series of deleted scenes and snippets. "

I mean come on. How would it be if that was posted in the "Alien Anthology" review? People wouldn't stand for it. But because this is "Jackass" and full of poo jokes it gets a pass? It's just seems so lazy!

All I get out of this review is Paramount put out a satisfactory Bluray though omitting the "True HD" for anaglyph, and you hate this series and despite not wanting to admit it, pretty much hold anyone who likes this type of entertainment in contempt.

I don't have a way of not stating this without potentially causing offense since it was such an offensive review to me in the first place.

I'm fine with you not liking Jackass, and I wont defend the brand. I just think this particular review is off the mark from the usual HTF standards.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Thanks for your comments Russell. I will say that i do concede some of the points you are making in the body of the review itself. I offer that fans will likely enjoy this, that there is an elegance and art to the silliness, and that I might be harsher on this film, but remember, my comparison to docs, while not obvious, is intended to discuss the macro-state of what society digests. I thought that was pretty clear, but perhaps not. But please don't get offended. I'd much prefer someone say to me that they think I'm mad for not finding this or that funny. And the only people I hold in contempt are country music fans (J/k)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks