What's new

James Cameron talks November release of Avatar Boxset Blu Ray Release (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
James Cameron speaks

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2010/08/interview_with_james_cameron_o.html

Q: That ties beautifully into my next "Avatar" question: I've read the "Avatar" screenplay that Fox posted online around Oscar season, and I'll admit the thing I want to see re-inserted into the film are the opening scenes set on the polluted, dystopian Earth -- the shots of lead character Jake in a sports bar -- the polluted, crowded cityscapes. You shot this sequence, correct? Any chance we'll be seeing that?

A:
Well, if you buy the box set in November, you can sit down, and in a continuous screening of the film, watch it with the Earth opening.

Q: Oh, really.

A:
Yeah. It works very well. It just takes a long time to get the movie started. You have to be sort of predisposed to like the movie like a fan, you know what I mean? And then you can sit and you can have a great ride -- a different telling of "Avatar." Not inconsistent -- it's just the stuff that happened off-camera.

We call it "the Earth opening." It's about 4 1/2 minutes of stuff. And it was in for the longest time. It was very late in the day that we took it out. I walked in one day and said to my two editors, "Guys, I want each of you to cut a new version of the start of the film, Reel 1, that doesn't have any Earth in it at all." And they looked at me like I was out of my mind. And I said, "No -- it's gonna work." They had to figure out the details. I said, "Just grab a couple of things to use as flashbacks, and start it in space when Jake opens his eyes."

Q: So wait – does the re-release start on Earth?

A:
No. The re-release opening Friday starts the same way. But in November, you can buy a box set with all the bells and whistles. It's got like 45 minutes of unfinished deleted scenes that exist in a supplement where you can just play the scenes individually.

But it's all a big negotiation with the studios; how much money do they want to spend on these sort of revisionist versions of the movie? Because on the whole Earth opening, the visual effects weren't done, and we had to go back and spend a million bucks or whatever to get those shots done. So there's a price-tag dangling from anything that gets re-inserted. It's not like "Apocalypse Now," where they blow up a Vietnamese village and the footage is done – there are no visual effects after the fact. We've got to go back, and it's our time and our energy and the studio's money to re-create this stuff.

But (in November) you'll be able to watch a 16-minute-longer version of the film that's a nice, flowing, cohesive version of the movie. If you just want to wallow in "Avatar" for three hours, I can get that for you.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good stuff Oscar. Just got back from seeing the SE of Avatar 3D & it was my favorite viewing of it yet. Was my 2nd time in theaters and 3rd overall. Excellent film.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did the extra footage really add anything to improve the story or was it all basically eye candy?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
One of the extended scenes that's been reinserted back into the "Special Edition" cut that's out in theaters right now is the actual death sequence of Naytiri's original "fiancé," during the final attack sequence -- from people who've seen it, it's reportedly quite an emotional moment, and was something that Cameron initially trimmed back when he felt that the audience might get TOO destroyed by another major character's death (coming so quickly after Sigourney's).

His later response to his editors after realizing this error (who originally fought for the scene to be kept in the film):

"Maybe you guys were right."

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
edwin.

that is a very good question. I did support the special edition of aliens, the abyss, and t2. but here I think the theatre version released was better. I could see why the scenes were cut in the first place. pacing reason. they didnt really add much. fun to see the first time around. the whole death scene (after the bad guy) .. the movie was over when the bad guy was killed. cameron was smart to cut the scenes out. the stampede scene was cool, but a bit too short. I saw it last night with family and friends. they never saw the theatre version.

Jacob

Haden

Supporting Actor
Has a specific release date been announced for this set yet? I just keep hearing "November" everywhere, including in this interview. WHEN in November? Seems like an official announcement for this set should have been made by now.... or did I miss it?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Lots of info

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/09/two-minutes-of-test-footage-from-james.html

[SIZE= 85%]From what we know about the upcoming "Avatar" special edition DVD/BluRay, it's going to be mammoth. While no release date has yet been set, among the extras confirmed are an [/SIZE]extended opening sequence, 16 minutes of new footage, 45 minutes of deleted/unfinished scenes and a documentary on the Xingu River Dam. But if that wasn't enough, there's even more.

Two minutes of test footage from James Cameron's aborted adaptation of Patricia Anthony's novel "Brother Termite" will be included as an extra feature. A satirical story about extraterrestrials who work in the highest level of government, the film had a script by John Sayles and Cameron began initial work on the project in 2002. For whatever reason it fell apart (our guess? budget) but its significant because at the time Cameron was already experimenting with performance capture technology that he would later use to blue people's minds in "Avatar." It will certainly be an interesting piece of history.

Bleeding Cool has a rundown of some of the other featurettes that are likely to appear on the disc. But if you want to experience the film the way James Cameron intended, buy yourself a 3D television and a salesman will toss you a free copy of the 3D BluRay of the film for your trouble.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Avatar Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Bonus Features Surface

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5223

According to South African retailer Take 2, disc 1 will contain the movie, in three versions: the original theatrical release; the theatrical special edition (with 8'02" of additional footage); and the Collector's Extended Cut (with 15'54" of additional footage).

Disc two, titled "Filmmaker's Journey", will reportedly include Braving New Worlds: A Journey beyond Avatar (runtime 2h30'), the documentary A Message from Pandora (20'), and 66 minutes of deleted scenes.

Disc three, titled "Pandora's Box", will contain over four hours of additional special features, including "scene deconstruction," and over one hour of "Live Extras."

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have always enjoyed Cameron's commentaries and was hoping for one here. Looks like it isn't happening.

Absolution

Grip
Real Name
Scott
From Blu-ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5248

20th Century Fox Entertainment has officially announced Avatar: Extended Collector's Edition for Blu-ray release on November 16 in North America (and internationally from November 15). As previously reported, this edition will consist of three discs and contain three versions of the film, including an all-new extended cut, as well as hours of never-before seen material including over 45 minutes of deleted scenes.
The filmmakers and the studio had informed consumers that this Collector's Edition was coming up at the same time that the first edition was announced (see Blu-ray.com March 16).
Filmmaker James Cameron said: "I told our team – let's do the ultimate box set of Avatar, with everything in it the fans could possibly want. There's an extended length cut that's sixteen minutes longer, plus documentaries, behind the scenes featurettes, artwork and over 45 minutes of deleted scenes. Everything worth putting into a special edition is in this set," said James Cameron.
This edition will feature the original theatrical release, a special edition re-release, family audio track with all objectionable language removed and new collector's extended cut with sixteen more minutes including an exclusive alternate opening Earth scene.
A 3D Blu-ray version is not included and has not been announced separately. Panasonic representatives confirmed last month that it would be exclusively available to buyers of Panasonic 3D plasma TVs (see Blu-ray.com September 3).
"Capturing Avatar" is an in-depth feature length documentary covering the 16 year filmmaker journey including all-new interviews with James Cameron, Jon Landau and cast and crew exploring James Cameron's unique vision for this film.
Fans can dive further into the world of the Na'vi and experience the film from behind the scenes, with a "master class" on the production. Using Blu-ray interactivity, viewers can experience the full film in three stages of production: Performance Capture, Template (or "1990's video game" version) and Final as well as a composite of all stages in "Pandora's Box". This will be supported with interviews by Jim Cameron and the filmmakers and serve as a "master class" on the making of Avatar.
Contents by disc are as follows:
Disc One

• Original Theatrical Version
  • Special Edition Re-Release
  • Collector's Extended Cut (16 more minutes and exclusive alternate opening)
The original theatrical and special-edition versions will include a "Family" audio track with all objectionable language removed.
Disc Two

• Capturing Avatar: An in-depth feature length documentary with James Cameron, Jon Landau and cast and crew
  • Deleted scenes: including over 45 minutes of new never-before-seen deleted scenes
  • Production materials (BD-exclusive)
Disc Three (all contents BD-exclusive)

• Open "Pandora's Box" and go deeper into the filmmaker process
  • Interactive Scene Deconstruction: Explore the various stages of production through three different viewing modes
  • Production shorts: 17 featurettes covering performance capture, scoring the film, 3D Fusion camera, stunts and much more
  • Avatar Archives, including original scriptment, 300 page screenplay and the extensive Pandorapedia
  • BD-live Portal with additional bonus materials

From The Digital Bits

To this, the Blu-ray will add an interactive Pandora's Box "master class", including an elaborate Scene Deconstruction offering a look at the FULL film in three different stages of completion - Performance Capture, Template and Final - along with a composite of all three.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Interesting that removing the "objectionable" language is the only thing deemed necessary to make this movie "Family-Friendly." Even without the swearing Avatar still would be PG-13 for violence, sexual situations and--worst of all--smoking.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't even remember that much 'bad' language even in the movie or at least not enough that you'd need an alternate audio track. I'd be willing to bet that Avatar has the least amount of profanity of any Cameron movie.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Jim Cameron talks Avatar release

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5330

During a press day to promote Avatar: Extended Collector's Edition, James Cameron reassured fans wary of an Avatar triple dip by saying: "There's only one more play, maybe one, two years out, and that's 3D [Blu-ray]." No comment was given on the reported Panasonic-exclusive 3D BD release of the movie.

Previously, marketing executives from Panasonic had revealed that a 3D Blu-ray disc of Avatar would be offered in early December, exclusively to buyers of a Panasonic 3D Viera plasma TV (see Blu-ray.com September 3). At the moment, however, Panasonic has not formally announced the promotion or its terms and conditions.

Cameron also went into detail regarding the copious special features on the upcoming Collector's Edition. The feature-length making-of documentary Capturing Avatar will have a runtime of around an hour and a half - although an hour was cut because, as Cameron said, they "couldn't have a documentary about the movie that was as long as the movie."

There is also 45 minutes worth of deleted scenes, some of them finished for the BD release. An interactive scene deconstruction in disc three will show the various stages of production with three different viewing modes. Cameron said that feature was "like geek heaven."

Interesting that an hour was cut.

The Blade Runner documentary ran for 3 hours, twice as long as the movie itself.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The Frightners had like a 4 hour documentary.

Couldn't they have just included the cut parts of the documentary in another section, or better yet as branching points on the main doc?

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
It could be that it was simply material that was redundant in light of other special features that are available.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If it's redundant, fine, but then say it's redundant instead of "it was too long." A couple of titles have already been mentioned which have documentaries that run longer than the film itself, and they're considered among the best behind-the-scenes features. If the only reason for cutting the documentary down is that it was longer than the movie it's about, that's a pretty poor excuse, in my opinion.

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
Digital Bits says Fox are starting to put op previews for the CE contents on the BD-Live of the current Blu-Ray

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Just checked, and its up.

Bill Hunt comments that the Alternate opening is much better than the original one. Was the entire alternate opening shown at the Press Event?

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
Digital Bits says Fox are starting to put op previews for the CE contents on the BD-Live of the current Blu-Ray

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Just checked, and its up.

Bill Hunt comments that the Alternate opening is much better than the original one. Was the entire alternate opening shown at the Press Event?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks