What's new

First Look: Alien Anthology Sideshow Collectible (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Home Theater Forum is out at Comic-Con this year and we had the opportunity to visit with our

friends at the Twentieth Century Fox booth where they are proudly displaying the upcoming

Alien Sideshow Collectible and Alien Anthology standalone releases.

Tough to take flash pictures when the product is behind a display case but we will have a closer look at the

product in the moment. The Alien Sideshow Collectible is on the left. The standalone Alien Anthology set

is on the right.

The Alien Anthology Slideshow Collectible. The Alien Anthology set fits into the base. The Collectible lights up
when two AA batteries are inserted inside.

HTF Fox Insider James Finn holds up the Collectible for a closer look.

HTF Fox Insider James Finn and HTF co-owner Adam Gregorich pose with the Collectible.

You can order the Sideshow Collectible set while here at Comic-Con. Just visit Fox booth #4313

It will also be available to order online at Fox Connect

Miller Time

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Wow, thanks for posting, Ron. That looks incredible.

I was wondering, does the stand alone release basically fit into the bottom of the collectible?

Also, do we know how the discs are housed in the standalone release? I saw a picture of the contents and booklet, but couldn't tell where the discs would go.

Thanks again for the awesome pictures.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
For the first time ever, I may actually want non-standard packaging. This would like nice on my media shelf.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
I followed the links thru the Fox Connect site and they have it up for pre-order on th web site too. Here's the link http://www.foxconnect.com/alien-anthology-comicon-the-blu-ray-widescreen.html?SID=ouvuobvjvr93r67sprtfo7dc11

And if you use the promo code: COMIC you get an extra 10% off (I believe the coupon is good thru 7/25) and since it is high enough it automatically gets FREE Ground shipping. So I got it for a total of 134.99. Since Amazon's pre-order for the regular set is 97.99, an extra $37 for the EGG didn't seem like a bad deal.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Adam, what was your impressions of the construction of the egg? Did it appear to be well-made and not cheap? I presume the material is plastic. Overall, what is the drool factor here? It's just OK or I really want this MU-TH-ER? Feel free to be subjective.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oh, hell, I just ordered it. Ray thank you for the promo code. I ate up some of the savings by getting the 2nd day air, but what the heck. This is my blu-ray big buy of the year.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

It's plastic, but it appeared to be fairly well made. When the battery powered light was turned on it had an added depth and looked pretty realistic. Its made by Sideshow CollectiblesI typically avoid "vanity packaging" just because my storage space is at a premium and I need things that fit on my DVD/BD shelves. I bought the individual Planet of the Apes movies instead of the boxed set for this reason, and will get the "standard" Aliens release too. Neil Middlemiss needed no more than half a second to have his credit card pulled out after seeing it in person if that makes you feel better about your purchase, and that was without the 10% off.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks, Adam. Like you I don't go in for the vanity packaging because of space and $$ limitations. I normally don't see much value in them. The only 2 deluxe packages I have are for Forbidden Planet and the original King Kong and they are tins that aren't much larger than they have to be. They are also gorgeous and I've enjoyed having them.

This Egg edition of the Alien Anthology will be my first bulky packaged set. I'm happy to read you thought it was well made and that Neil whipped out his plastic for it.

Did you see it lit up? If so, does the whole egg glow or just the egg opening?

Hmmm. My wife doesn't like scary movies at all, I wonder how she'll like the Egg?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just noticed something in the pic of disc packaging for the Egg edition. It looks like the discs will be in a folder that requires it to be unfolded to expose all the discs at once which requires a lot of surface space to access the discs. I hate that kind of packaging.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Johnny, you've got to tell your wife not to touch the egg and then look inside from the top. That could end badly, y'know?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Kevin EK

I was looking at an earlier image of the egg here: [url=http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=21338]http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=21338 and even above in post 6, which is probably an early image, you can see an obvious seam where the egg was put together. In the images in the very first post from comic-con, no seam. Perhaps those early images were of prototypes? That's good.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Hey Gang - the Alien Anthology Blu-ray "egg" has become our best seller so far - Dollhouse and Simpsons S13 are all selling well too. We wanted to make sure that true fans had a chance to buy one of the 5,000 special collector edition's and you can - through foxconnect.com. And remember your card isn't charged until it is shipped in October :)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I really want to order this but I still have reservations about how they are remastering this set. Is anyone else worried about this after what they did to Predator or am I just being paranoid?

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
i confirm Adam's donation. Someone (probably adam) left it on all night so i had to get batteries from someone else!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I'm almost embarrased by how quickly I pulled out my American Express - it was like the old west and I was reaching for my gun. Before I knew it, my net worth was down by $150. Well worth it, though [/url]

This Egg edition of the Alien Anthology will be my first bulky packaged set. I'm happy to read you thought it was well made and that Neil whipped out his plastic for it.

[/quote]

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Fox have been heavily promoting this set at Comic-Con and the Alien display, with four hypersleep pods right out of the Nostromo from Alien, which fans can line-up to lay down in and watch an exciting trailer for the set (with immersive and creepy surround-sound), is a blast. Here are a couple of shots I took close-up. The folk working the attraction are great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks