What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Flash Gordon (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member

FLASH GORDON

Studio: Universal

Year: 1980

Length:  1 hr 52 mins

Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy/Comedy

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

BD Resolution: 1080p

BD Video Codec: VC-1 (@ an average 20 mbps)

Color/B&W: Color

Audio:

English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (@ an average 3.5 mbps)

Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish

Film Rating: PG (Mild Violence, Heavy Camp)

Release Date: June 15, 2010

Starring:  Sam J. Jones, Melody Anderson, Ornella Muti, Max von Sydow, Topol, Timothy Dalton, Mariangela Melato, Brian Blessed and Peter Wyngarde

Screenplay by:  Lorenzo Semple, Jr.

Produced by:  Dino de Laurentiis

Directed by: Mike Hodges

Film Rating:    2 ½/5

Three years ago, I wrote the DVD review for the standard definition “Saviour of the Universe” edition, which has now been upgraded to Blu-ray, with high definition picture and sound transfers to go with the extras from the 2007 edition.  At the same time, the plentiful extras from the European editions of this title, such as commentaries by the director and by actor Brian Blessed, are still not included here.  (And I should note that there is a Region B release coming later this year that will include the director’s commentary and other extras, so if you’re reading this review from the UK, you might keep your eyes open for that.)   But the disc at hand is a Blu-ray edition of what I previously reviewed.  For this reason, I will quote from my earlier review where appropriate, and I include the link to that thread here for your perusal.      http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/260623/htf-review-flash-gordon-the-saviour-of-the-universe-edition

Flash Gordon is a fairly enjoyable romp, with deliberately campy dialogue and design work throughout – effectively restaging the old black and white serial adventures in a lavishly colored environment. The acting is highly reminiscent of the old serials, and the plot pulls many elements from there, but there are a few surprises here and there. While the performances are primarily bold-faced high camp (Brian Blessed stands out in the crowd for an especially enthusiastic contribution) and the sets and costumes are gloriously artificial, the film still dazzles with the sheer amount of rich colors on display. I have not seen a film so full of bold reds, greens and even blues since The Wizard of Oz, to which it actually feels a bit similar.

Flash Gordon has been on DVD previously in this region, most particularly in the “Saviour of the Universe” edition, which featured remastered picture and 5.1 sound. The new Blu-ray preserves the extras from the “Saviour of the Universe” edition, including an interview with Alex Ross, and one with writer Lorenzo Semple, Jr., as well as the first episode of the first serial, and an unrestored trailer.  Further Blu-ray functionality is also part of the package, including the My Scenes bookmarking function.

VIDEO QUALITY   3 ½/5

Flash Gordon is presented in a 1080p VC-1 2.35:1 transfer that improves on the prior SD release with deeper, more vibrant colors, and greater detail.  If anything, the colors are so vibrant that they become garish after extended time viewing them.  As others have noted, the sheer abundance of reds and greens can become difficult to watch after a while, even though this is the intended effect.   I should note that I am watching the film on a 40” Sony XBR2 HDTV. If anyone is watching the film on a larger monitor and is having issues, please post them on this thread.

AUDIO QUALITY   3 ½/5

Flash Gordon is presented in an English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix in English.  As with the prior SD edition, there is only an English language track on the Blu-ray.  It’s a solid mix, mostly found in the front channels, but with a definite subwoofer heartbeat as the Queen soundtrack pulses through all the speakers.

SPECIAL FEATURES      2 ½/5

The Blu-Ray presentation of Flash Gordon comes with the usual BD-Live connectivity and My Scenes functionality.  The other extras are pulled directly from the prior SD edition (The one extra not included is a brief teaser trailer for the then-current “Flash Gordon” television series), so I’ll quote my summary of them here:

• Alex Ross, Renowned Comic Artist, on FLASH GORDON- (Non-anamorphic, 480p) (13:29) - This is a brief non-anamorphic interview with Alex Ross, intercut with footage from the film, and shots of him doing the sketches and artwork that appear on and in the DVD packaging. Ross is clearly a big fan of the film, viewing it as, among other things, a rock opera. The only issue here is that Ross has no real connection to the film other than drawing the artwork for the new release – so all he can offer is his praise of the movie. It’s nice to see the footage of him working, but there’s not a lot of meat here.
  • Writing a Classic: Screenwriter Lorenzo Semple, Jr.– (Non-anamorphic, 480p) (9:16) Lorenzo Semple, Jr. is interviewed about the script in this brief non-anamorphic featurette. Semple talks about working with Dino de Laurentis, and the challenge of writing an English script for an Italian producer who would wind up reading Semple’s work via a bad translation. The one factor to this interview that makes it a bit more interesting is that Semple is a fairly acerbic personality. Rather than offer the usual platitudes of affection for the project or the filmmakers, Semple very plainly says what he thinks and feels about the process of writing this script. Not all of it is totally complimentary, but it feels like he’s just calling it how he sees it.
  • Flash Gordon 1936 Serial Episode– (Non-anamorphic Full Frame, 480p) (20:44) – One pleasant item included with the package is the first episode of the first Flash Gordon serial. It’s a lot of fun, and there are a surprising amount of plot points and style points that are echoed in the 1980 film.
  • Original Trailer (Non-anamorphic, 480p) (2:01) – An unrestored trailer for the film is included with the other goodies. It has been edited in much the same fashion as the film, and punctuated with the title song by Queen. The trailer is showing its age, but it serves as a pretty good barometer of what has been restored for this edition.

BD-Live - The more general BD-Live screen is accessible via the menu, which makes various online materials available, including tickers, trailers and special events. 

My Scenes - The usual bookmarking feature is included here.

The film and the special features are subtitled in English, French and Spanish.  The usual pop-up menu is present, along with a complete chapter menu. 

IN THE END...

Flash Gordon continues its post-theatrical life as a camp classic with this new release, which gives its fans high definition picture and sound transfers to go with the extras seen in the prior edition.  I still can’t say that the script, acting and directing here appeal to my taste, but I recognize there are many fans for whom this film continues to be a lot of fun.  If the fans already have this title, I recommend a rental to see how they enjoy the HD transfers.  If they have not owned the title already in this region, then this will likely be a happy purchase. 

Kevin Koster

June 23, 2010.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The Universal disc has a fair bit of DNR and EE, as is their wont these days. It's not quite as bad as something like Spartacus, but it still has a pretty processed, unnatural look to it, especially when compared to something like Dune.

I have the European Studio Canal release, as well. It has it's own issues - contrast is weak and black levels are elevated - but because it looks more filmlike than the Universal disc, I prefer it overall.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thank you Nick. This is the reason that I specify that I am looking at the movie on a 40" monitor and not a 60". (This may be changing in another month, but I'll post that when it happens.)

The main thing that strikes me about this film, and the transfer, is the color - which jumped at me with a lot more aggression than on the SD release. I can see evidence of some EE in places like the spaceship crash in the opening reels, but I wasn't certain how much of this was EE and how much of this was simply reflecting the rotoscope work from the time.

The European release you're looking at isn't a version of the Region B release coming in August, is it? Either way, does it contain any of the European extras not found in the US releases?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's such a bright, garish, cartoony film that the DNR and EE doesn't seem to hurt it quite as much as it would another title.

The European disc was a German import - I believe it's coming to the UK in August. It should be identical, though, as Studio Canal seems to make one disc for every territory.

It has an interview with director Mike Hodges and a commentary track from him, as well. I think the old UK DVD had some additional extras that weren't carried over to the blu-ray.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There is a commentary out there from Brian Blessed, presumably to let people know that "Gordon's Alive!" (Sorry, couldn't resist). But there is a Blessed commentary, along with a photo gallery and an anamorphic trailer, all of which were included with the Silver Anniversary R2 DVD. The upcoming Region B Blu-ray in Europe also comes with a separate CD of the Queen soundtrack to boot.

And you're right, this is one garish title. There are moments where the amount of color is truly overwhelming.

John_S

Stunt Coordinator
I love this movie and I'm thrilled it's on blu-ray! I screened it the other night and was thrilled- I think it looks quite good.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Sorry to bump this up, but thought it was a good place to ask about a movie still of Max Von Sydow as Ming I spotted on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Flash-Gordon-1980-VINTAGE-Photo-/300435090480?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item45f353ac30

Is this from a deleted scene? I don't recall seeing anything remotely resembling this set in the movie!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Originally Posted by SilverWook

Is this from a deleted scene? I don't recall seeing anything remotely resembling this set in the movie!

It's probably just a publicity photo shot on the set between takes.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

Back to the subject of the Studio Canal release--is it region free?

It's region B locked.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I have all the serials on DVD. (Been a fan of those ever since they aired on tv in the wake of Star Wars mania in the 70's.) There are no sets this macabre in any of them. And I can tell Max Von Sydow from Charles Middleton.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just a heads-up that this is being released on blu-ray in a steelbook edition (through Target) in late July. I haven't seen any news about it, but it is up on the Target web site. I wonder if a general blu-ray re-release is far behind?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Recently watched this, projected on a 108" screen. I thought the image looked very nice; no complaints. In watching the first chapter of the serial that's included on this disc, I was struck by how closely the movie followed the serial, down to the look of the sets. Very impressive. It remains an enjoyable space adventure, a bit of fun to come from the post-Star Wars movie era.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Not sure if this is a Canadian thing only, but iTunes has Flash Gordon on sale for $5. I already have both the European and North American discs, so I wasn't going to bother with it, then I noticed that the studio listed was MGM, not Universal.

Since it was basically the price of a rental, I decided to get it and it seems like it's a different, and superior, transfer to either of the discs. It's more natural and film-like than the Universal, with better contrast than the Studio Canal. So any Flash fans out there might want to check it out.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not sure if this is a Canadian thing only, but iTunes has Flash Gordon on sale for $5. I already have both the European and North American discs, so I wasn't going to bother with it, then I noticed that the studio listed was MGM, not Universal.

Since it was basically the price of a rental, I decided to get it and it seems like it's a different, and superior, transfer to either of the discs. It's more natural and film-like than the Universal, with better contrast than the Studio Canal. So any Flash fans out there might want to check it out.
I looked this up, and there are actually 2 listings. The Universal one is $14.99, but I bit on this one just to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks