What's new

Cleopatra bluray?????? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
The current dvd of Cleopatra is excellent even though I believe it is from a 35mm source. A new 70mm transfer with the correct aspect ratio of 2:20 would be most welcome.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
there was a fix for that error.
A mail away request was shipped to people wanted one, I have it.

Also the entire movie will likely be on 1 disc.

btw, 1 question mark would have been good enough.

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
Are we just hoping or has a blu-ray for the 1963 Cleopatra actually been announced?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
It hasn't been announced so just hoping for now.

When the DVD was re-issued under the awards series or whatever, the entire third disc was dropped, including the excellent 2-hr documentary, "The Film That Changed Hollywood". Hopefully those extras will reappear on the Blu-ray.

As much as I want a restored 6-hr film, it's likely never to happen. (Roddy McDowall and the Mankiewicz family tried in the mid-1990s, I believe, but only a few things turned up.) I would love it if Fox would include what has turned up, such as the original opening, on its own. The snippets that were included in the documentary just whetted my appetite for more. Also, costume tests would be most welcome, too.

For those who are interested, Cleopatra will be screened as part of the TCM Film Festival next month in LA. I wish I could go; I've never seen it on the big screen except for a scene or two when I went to the Britannia Awards the year they gave Elizabeth an award for International Excellence.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Tony-I keep forgetting about how much a bluray can hold on one disc. Is there any way to know if you are getting the corrected version on Amazon?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't know, but would bet that the dvd is the corrected version.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by TonyD /forum/thread/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3670347
there was a fix for that error.
A mail away request was shipped to people wanted one, I have it.
Also the entire movie will likely be on 1 disc.
btw, 1 question mark would have been good enough.
The incorrectly placed music at the end of disc 1 was never fixed. What WAS fixed was the addition of the exit music on disc 2 which was missing on the first copies.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Douglas R /forum/thread/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3670608
The incorrectly placed music at the end of disc 1 was never fixed. What WAS fixed was the addition of the exit music on disc 2 which was missing on the first copies.
You are correct about that.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by trajan /forum/thread/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3681503
Could CLEOPATRA be part of Fox 75 anniversary?
I hope so!!! I never did pick up the DVD since I missed grabbing the three disc set.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In the UK, Sky Movies (owned by News International who own Fox) are showing the world premiere of CLEOPATRA in HD on 3 May. Hopefully the Blu-ray will follow before too long.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Douglas R /forum/thread/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3683229
In the UK, Sky Movies (owned by News International who own Fox) are showing the world premiere of CLEOPATRA in HD on 3 May.
Please let us know what it looks like. (I am of course taking it for granted that you will be watching!)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
"Cleopatra" would be a no brainer for Blu Ray. I'm surprized ox has not announced it as of yet. It looked incredible in 70MM. One of the few FOX films that does (there are only about 10 FOX filmed in the large film format)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Cleopatra was shown before in "HD" on Sky channel 4 HD - it was a hideous upconvert.
Hopefully this time it really will be real HD.
Originally Posted by Douglas R /forum/thread/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3683229
In the UK, Sky Movies (owned by News International who own Fox) are showing the world premiere of CLEOPATRA in HD on 3 May. Hopefully the Blu-ray will follow before too long.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by OliverK /forum/thread/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3683379
Cleopatra was shown before in "HD" on Sky channel 4 HD - it was a hideous upconvert.
Hopefully this time it really will be real HD.
I didn't see that Channel 4 showing (Channel 4 is not a Sky TV channel of course) but Sky are making much of the their broadcast being in HD "for the first time ever" and "world premiere exclusive" so I assume that it's the real deal! I'll report back when I've seen it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Douglas R /forum/thread/298900/cleopatra-bluray#post_3683419
I didn't see that Channel 4 showing (Channel 4 is not a Sky TV channel of course) but Sky are making much of the their broadcast being in HD "for the first time ever" and "world premiere exclusive" so I assume that it's the real deal! I'll report back when I've seen it.
You are of course right that Channel 4 HD has nothing to do with Sky and if Sky announced it like that I am hoping for you to be able to enjoy Cleopatra in full HD glory and hopefully an adequate bitrate, too!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I said I would report back on the Sky TV showing of CLEOPATRA in HD (today) and I'm pleased to say that it looked absolutely superb - much as it did when I first saw it in 70mm. An immaculate picture with impressive detail, perfect colour and framed correctly at 2.20:1 and looking as good as any modern HD film. It proves that Fox have the film ready in HD for whenever they decide to release it on Blu-ray.

HEMI

Auditioning
Real Name
HEMI JOHN
i also wana Buy it and also want to experience it.. that.. how you people say that it got some errors... but i think overalll it should be the best.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks