What's new

2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver, Canada (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Winter Olympics start tonight! I can't wait!

Will this be the time when Canada will finally win a gold medal as the host nation, after not doing so in the previous 2 times they hosted?

Coverage starts at 7:30 PM, although I believe the Opening Ceremony begins at 9 PM.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Walter C

Coverage starts at 7:30 PM, although I believe the Opening Ceremony begins at 9 PM.
Walter,

Yes. I can't imagine Canada not taking gold in a few sports (hockey, for one).

I too am looking forward to the Olympics. :)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I can't really explain why, but for some reason, I just don't seem to be at all interested in the Winter Games this time around.

Normally, I prefer the Winter Games to the Summer Games (I was living in Salt Lake during the 2002 Games - THAT was fun) but this year I can't possibly feel more apathetic to the whole thing.

Oh well, even though I won't be watching, I'll root in spirit for Canada to take at least one gold. I'm sure they'll be a gracious host nation - they're certainly going to a lot of effort to truck in some snow!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Oh my....

Luger dies in Olympics practice crash.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/12/olympic.luge.crash/index.html?hpt=T1

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Oh my....

Luger dies in Olympics practice crash.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/12/olympic.luge.crash/index.html?hpt=T1
I just read about it, and can't believe it myself. That's just tragic!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While I'm not all that excited about the Winter Games this go-around, I'm sure I'll find myself sucked into watching some of the events I'm enjoyed in the past, I just didn't really do much research or set myself to look forward to the events. I do like the crazy speeds of the downhill ski events, as well as the ski jumps. Hope the ladies figure skating won't be all that controversial due to the partisan judging/scoring.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyone here watching the opening boremony err, ceremony?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyD

Anyone here watching the opening boremony err, ceremony?
I got sucked in, Tony. I cannot believe the loooooooooooooooong speeches that have just ground the already slow-moving ceremonies to a dead halt.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Of all the things that could have malfunctioned, it had to be the friggin' torch. What a bummer to cap what was a pretty incredible show. Not as awe-inspiring as Beijing, but not as dehumanizing either. It had a wonderful organic feel about it.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I always enjoy seeing these 2 things in an opening ceremony
1 - when the host nation marches in
2 - lighting of the Olympic flame

I thought this ceremony was really great. From the snowboarder down the mountain and lighting of the maple leaf on film, to the tribute to the various cultures in Canada, this was definitely better than the one in Torino.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I enjoyed the opening ceremonies. I actually preferred the low-key atmosphere of this opening to the one that occurred in Beijing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched most of the opening ceremony. It had some intriguing parts, but was largely a dull affair: paced too slowly and each segment needlessly stretched out. And because of the cauldron glitch, the show ran long and Tivo didn't record the actual lighting of the flame, so I missed that.

I'm generally not especially interested in the Olympics. I found it much more interesting in my more idealistic youth :) But I'm sure I'll enjoy watching the bits and pieces I happen to catch.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope they are a complete and utter failure. Judging by the news, the circus is off to a bad start: dead luger, boring ceremony, a glitch in the lighting ceremony and no snow. I hope no other unfortunate accidents occur, but I also hope the circus continues to be a disaster. Maybe that way we, as Canadians, will finally learn to never bid on the White Elephant known as the Olympic games again. It pisses me off that I'm paying taxes, including an upcoming harmonized sales tax, just to see money being wasted on this garbage while education and social programs in BC get starved for funding . Everybody in BC will be paying for the next 20 years so that Vancouver and Whistler could have their two weeks in the sun. Well, I hope the next two weeks are nothing but rain.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's sort of a spiteful attitude, isn't? Since the money's already out the window, why not let your fellow countrymen bask in this once in a lifetime opportunity?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Watching the cerimonies from Central Florida I have to ask:

ARE THE COMMERCIALS
LOUD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!!!

Seriously, I could BARELY hear the Commentator give his narration of what's happening, yet when they went to a Commercial YOU GOT BLASTED OUT OF YOUR SEAT!

Also I understand they were televised LIVE in the Eastern and Central Time Zones, while viewers in the Mountain and Pacific Time Zones got Tape Delays! I feel soeey for those of you in the West, these Games are happening in YOUR Time Zone, and you're getting Shafted!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I watched the opening ceremony. in Germany on Eurosport and thank goodness NOT NBC. Lucky are the people who can get the canadian broadcast. I think I read somewhere the the program on NBC lasted circa 2.5 hours. I recorded it live and it was slightly over 3 hours. By the way, did people see the real olympic flame lighting which was done circa 5-10 minutes AFTER the inside version.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by Sumnernor

I watched the opening ceremony. in Germany on Eurosport and thank goodness NOT NBC. Lucky are the people who can get the canadian broadcast. I think I read somewhere the the program on NBC lasted circa 2.5 hours. I recorded it live and it was slightly over 3 hours. By the way, did people see the real olympic flame lighting which was done circa 5-10 minutes AFTER the inside version.
Most of the ceremony was broadcast live on NBC. There were commercial breaks during the walk of nations (they showed a brief clip of the nations that walked in during the commercials), and also during the ceremony (during breaks between the performances). They also broadcasted the outside flame lighting, so I don't think they cut out anything of major importance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks