What's new

Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1980s Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Francis Pannozzi
Not a big fan of (North American) TV cartoons from the 1980s, but I'd buy it if they included some episodes of Beetlejuice (provided they're not the exact same cartoons already released on the Beetlejuice movie SE), The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show (since Warner owns the video rights to the Peanuts specials, maybe they could release this), Pac-Man, Yogi's Treasure Hunt and the 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (the latter two are of interest to me because they feature the work of future big names like Tiny Toons/Animaniacs/Pinky & The Brain/Freakazoid!/Batman: The Animated Series producer Tom Ruegger and Angry Beavers creator Mitch Schauer).

If they could come to terms with the respective video game companies (if need be), they might as well include at least a few cartoons from Saturday Supercade, if only because characters like Mario and Donkey Kong are uber-well-known.

It also might be interesting if they include a few cartoons from the 1988 New Yogi Bear Show.

Filmation's the Tom & Jerry Comedy Hour is like the "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of animation: so bad it's actually kinda funny. And hopefully, if included, someone (like the MST3K veterans who do Rifftrax) could make an audio commentary MST3K-style on an MP3.

Anybody remember Turbo Teen? It only sits out in my mind because Cartoon Network used to do ads that mocked it, which should tell you all you need to know about its quality. But, I suppose it should be included simply because it's almost achieved a certain level of infamy.

And call me crazy, but if they included an episode of the Snorks, I wouldn't oppose.

But what would really excite would be a 90s Saturday Morning Cartoons set. I'm very partial to the WB and Cartoon Network shows of the '90s, like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Taz-Mania, 2 Stupid Dogs, What-A-Cartoon!, Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, etc.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Demon Dogs! I hope Thundarr gets a complete release down the line.

Both Turbo Teen and Monchichis have been skewered by Robot Chicken in recent years.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I really hope Thundarr gets its own set. IMHO Saturday Morning cartoons hit rock bottom in the 80's so I will not be getting this even though I do want Thundarr. And even though I bought the 60's and 70's sets I really wish they would go back to season sets of one show. I'm not a fan of best of's.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Today at 10:48 am

Yeah I really hope Thundarr gets its own set. IMHO Saturday Morning cartoons hit rock bottom in the 80's so I will not be getting this even though I do want Thundarr. And even though I bought the 60's and 70's sets I really wish they would go back to season sets of one show. I'm not a fan of best of's.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

I am in an agreement with your Randy. I am not the tad bit interested in the 1980s cartoons. I am more into 1970s cartoons along with complete box sets. I do not like to be tease with one episode and would rather have the complete set. Hopefully in April when Warner Home Video Schedules a New TV/Animation Online Chat with the Home Theater Forum then we will get a good indication of the direction of the studio. I do remember hearing that the 1960s set did not sell well and there was going to be Volume #3 for 1970s cartoons and they were going to try 1980s cartoons. However, my initial suspicions are that 1980s will not sell very well.

I think they should focus more on the 1970s era, because that is when saturday morning cartoons were the most populous and that would target people aged 36-45 or 1964-1975 birth years.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Oh shit! Thundar? Mister T? Dragon's Lair?!? I am *SO* over this release! Brilliant!

So is there only going to be one episode each, or should we get a couple of 'em on there? If not, I assume that Volume 1 means that we'll get more T and Ookla in a another set?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Mr. Papagiorgio

Thundarr,...
Sells it to me. Cant' wait to see that one again.

I have only one of these, 1970s Vol 2. Can't wait to give it a look. I'll most likely pick up all of these.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That squares it, I'm done.

What is the deal with these compilations? WB said in a chat years ago that Thundarr was being considered for release. Well, we finally got it. One(2 at most) episodes on another stupid compilation disc. These volumes must be selling pretty decent for WB to keep firing them out of a canon into consumers hands.

I long for the days of complete series sets on dvd. A short lived cartoon like Thundarr would be perfect.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Bryan^H /forum/thread/297989/saturday-morning-cartoons-1980s-volume-1#post_3659486

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator
It appears that the 11 shows that will be on the set (at least for now) are:

Thundarr the Barbarian
Mr. T
The Kwicky Koala Show
Flintstone Kids
Dragon's Lair
Monchichis
Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos
Galtar and the Golden Lance
Goldie Gold and Action Jack
The Biskitts
The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley

I do hope some day Thundarr and Dragon's Lair have complete releases.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
It is so sad, I must say, that "ED GRIMLEY" isn't getting it's own series collection. I would have been all over that, and gimme a break, how great would that have been - you know, to walk into the Best Buy and say, "Excuse me, where might I find the Ed Grimley show?" and there it would be, right in front of me! And wouldn't it be wonderful to sit it next to that marvelous home game of "WHEEL OF FORTUNE"?

Oh, woe, I suppose the chances of a complete series set of this show is as doomed as doomed can be!

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I'm glad I taped The Ed Grimley series when it aired on cable a few years ago. I was surprised how good it was. I had never watched it because I always hated Grimley since I saw him on SCTV in the early 80's but I liked him in cartoon form. What a great voice cast Martin Short, Dave Thomas, Catherine O'Hara, Joe Flaherty and Jonathan Winters!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

It is so sad, I must say, that "ED GRIMLEY" isn't getting it's own series collection. I would have been all over that, and gimme a break, how great would that have been - you know, to walk into the Best Buy and say, "Excuse me, where might I find the Ed Grimley show?" and there it would be, right in front of me! And wouldn't it be wonderful to sit it next to that marvelous home game of "WHEEL OF FORTUNE"?

Oh, woe, I suppose the chances of a complete series set of this show is as doomed as doomed can be!
I laughed.

Never seen the toon version of Ed Grimley. Very interested.

I just want to say I agree with full releases but at the same time I'm quite happy to be able to get at least a taste of some of these old toons. There are many I'd love to see again, many that have gotten releases and I've bought and enjoyed. Hoping it's just a short wait for stuff like Thundarr.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
it looks like a pretty weak release for 1980s cartoons. I will not be purchasing this dvd. I much prefer the late 1960 and 1970s cartoons. Cartoons died a slow death in the 1980s, especially saturday morning. I was in junior/senior high school when saturday morning cartoons started to die.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks