What's new

*** Official THE LOVELY BONES Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
like others, I become a fan of jackson with the lotr films. I am also a big fan of the king kong remake that he did. so Ialso look forward to his new movie. he is a very talented director.

Jacob

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Holly mackeral, I havent read the book but that trailer really seems to give away EVERYTHING, including the little girls .... [COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]killer[/COLOR] ...... or so it seems.

anyway how long has this movie been in post production seems like forever.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Heavenly Creatures is my favorite PJ film. When I saw that film, I couldn't believe the Dead Alive guy did this. After Heavenly Creatures, Lovely Bones seems like a natural fit for him and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully in December, I can get out to see it. With a newborn, seeing movies at the theater has become nonexistent.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Lovely Bones". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Lovely Bones" should be posted to the
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anyone read Ebert's review.
He clobbered it, he gave it 1.5 stars but seemed like he was giving it a less then 1 star review.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's a very difficult subject matter to get right. In the book, Susie's heaven is beautiful and composed of all the things that appeal to her. None of that, however, takes away from the sorrow and longing she feels for the life and world she left behind. From the sound of things, the character lives of those left behind were short changed as well in order to focus on the murder mystery which -- after all -- isn't much of a mystery.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118013956.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&ref=vertfilm

Absolutely fascinaing article about the marketing of the moie

There were several turning points: In early November, Jackson called Paramount vice chair Rob Moore to say he'd seen 20th Century Fox's "Avatar" and that "Avatar" was going to suck up all the oxygen at the box office once it opened Dec. 18.

Jackson suggested that they not open the film nationwide on Dec. 11, but just go out in a few theaters.

Around the same time in November, Paramount began surveying people in shopping malls about TV spots for the film. They fully expected to get the best reaction from adults, particularly older women.

How wrong they were. Instead, it was younger women and teenagers -- the "Twilight" crowd -- who were the most enthusiastic. Moore arranged for a test screening with this audience in Kansas City on Nov. 19 (coincidentally, Summit Entertainment's "New Moon" opened in midnight runs on Nov. 20).

Ken Kamins, Jackson's longtime manager and exec producer of "Lovely Bones," was at the screening. "The results were tremendous. That night was when the campaign began to change," he said.

If that's when the change began, the film's disappointing opening on Dec. 11 made it abundantly clear adults were no longer the target demo.

And there was furious debate among critics as to Jackson's use of special effects in portraying heaven.

Yet it was the film's spiritual themes, and the father-daughter relationship, that younger females responded in particular to, Moore said. Par cut ads playing these up and began airing spots on female-skewing channels, including Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network.

There is a lot more

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I read the book a while ago and after seeing the movie yesterday, I'm actually wondering if there's a different cut out there. While there were some scenes I found familiar with the book, it was still a different story from what I read in the book. It did focus more on the relationship between Suzie and her father but somehow it just didn't show enough. There were some hints to what was in the book so I'm wondering if Peter Jackson actually shot more footage that would have made the movie more faithful but decided to re-edit it last minute knowing that it would get trounced at the box-office.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I haven't read the book and while I liked certain apects of the film most of it came off as airless and ametuerish in my opinion. Anytime Suzie was on screen, I was moved and riveted. Every other character besides Tucci's gets the short end of the stick. I was not concerned about them at all.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Is this Peter Jackson's first official flop? I didn't even know it was pushed back to January...This felt like a remake of What Dreams May Come for some strange reason. I'm not glad the film isn't doing well despite the fact it's not a great movie but I'm hoping this will finally free Jackson to work on the desperately needed rumored SE's of his early horror films, a genre he might be best sticking with

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

The Frighteners tanked. I don't know what the budget was on The Frighteners but I bet it did worse than The Lovely Bones will end up doing.
I loved The Frighteners too. But it was panned when it came out.

I liked the movie. The only real character that I really had any real connection to was the "killer". Not that I am a killer but I think his character was the best in the movie. The other thing I am glad they did and I don't know if it like this in the book;

When the bones are thrown in the dump and then the dirt is pilled on, bascially, the bones were never going to be found. No real happy ending for the parents in terms of closur. This I also liked.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Rhett_Y

I loved The Frighteners too. But it was panned when it came out.
I saw The Frighteners in the theater on the opening Friday or Saturday night and there was about 5 people there. Both me and my friend loved the movie though.

As for The Lovely Bones, it was probably the most frustrating movie that I've seen in a long time. I enjoyed most aspects of the movie but I thought the depiction of the other side just came off as silly. Unfortunately, that just sank the movie for me.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

I saw The Frighteners in the theater on the opening Friday or Saturday night and there was about 5 people there. Both me and my friend loved the movie though.

As for The Lovely Bones, it was probably the most frustrating movie that I've seen in a long time. I enjoyed most aspects of the movie but I thought the depiction of the other side just came off as silly. Unfortunately, that just sank the movie for me.
I agree. The heaven sequences were missing something for me also. Both me and the wife have the same feelings about those sequences.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. You all might be interested in this take on the movie, which has gotten a lot of traffic on my blog:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/brian-eno-and-the-lovely-bones-3/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks