What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Moon (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Rented this but won't be able to watch it for a couple of days, but am really looking forward to it, looks excellent.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Already got the identical UK BD. One of 2009s best films, everyone needs to check this out.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I see it's R for language but is there anything else that'd make it innapropriate for a pre-teen? My daughter really wants to see it but she's 12. She's seen a select few R films after I've screened them first.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
There's a short sex scene in there (no real nudity) and a fair bit of "bloody vomiting".

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The sex scene is Sam and his wife, as Sam is dreaming about her. I've seen far steamier and more revealing stuff on network TV.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised there's practically zero buzz about Sam Rockwell perhaps getting an Oscar nomination for his superb performance. This film was extremely well reviewed but seems to have fallen by the wayside now that it's "award season". At the very least it deserves a nomination for Rockwell's great work.

Vincent

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

I'm surprised there's practically zero buzz about Sam Rockwell perhaps getting an Oscar nomination for his superb performance. This film was extremely well reviewed but seems to have fallen by the wayside now that it's "award season". At the very least it deserves a nomination for Rockwell's great work.

Vincent
Without a studio paying for your "buzz" you're not going to get much. Sony has little interest in paying for an Oscar campaign for Moon, even refusing to pay for academy screener copies.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Vincent
That's because the Oscars are about money and politics, not about real talent.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron-P

That's because the Oscars are about money and politics, not about real talent.

There are plenty of worthy movies, actors, filmmakers, etc., who have won Oscars and/or been nominated.

Vincent

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
There are plenty of worthy movies, actors, filmmakers, etc., who have won Oscars and/or been nominated.

Vincent
Of course there are, at one point in time the oscars were probably reasonably fair. Things change.

To be in the oscar race today you still have to have a product of 'worthy talent', but that doesn't mean you'll get there without the cash to back you up.

Why doesn't Sony want Moon to garner recognition? Well maybe they've another film they want in the running, so fronting for Moon does them no good.

The whole thing is a joke at this point, everyone involved knows it, and more of the audience catch on every year-- thus their declining ratings. Though I still thinks it's fun to watch and there's no reason it has to be taken as seriously as they want you to in the first place.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Once was rated 'R' for "language" as well. I think I'd allow my 4-year-old to watch it (the accents would mask what little swearing there is anyway! ;) ).

The rumor is that more than one F-bomb used in anger gets you an 'R' automatically. Who knows. . .

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Great review! Thanks! Will definitely be giving this a rental in the next week or so.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Once was rated 'R' for "language" as well. I think I'd allow my 4-year-old to watch it (the accents would mask what little swearing there is anyway! ;) ).

The rumor is that more than one F-bomb used in anger gets you an 'R' automatically. Who knows. . .
Hmm odd. I just rented Once and Moon yesterday, are you following me?

BTW moon was great, should be on top 10 lists for the year.
Also there is a short film included in the special features that is directed by Duncan, started watching it but didn't do anything for me.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
No, I rented Once probably a year ago. I just think of it whenever I hear someone question an 'R' rating. :)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Moon was one of those small films that really impressed me when I saw it in an arthouse theatre (it ran for only a couple of weeks)--it's easily in my top ten list of films for 2009. I've always liked Sam Rockwell (from his early days in Tom DiCillo films), so I'm happy he's given a great performance in a spectacular film. It's a shame he won't get much public recognition from this picture (I have no interested in the Oscars), but there are still many directors who want to work with him.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
There are more than a few F-bombs in the movie so I agree with the R rating.

As for the movie, truly outstanding. This should go down as one of the better science fiction movies of all time. Just an amazing story, amazing performance by Sam Rockwell, amazing direction, amazing score. Why Sony Classics isn't promoting this for awards season is beyond me.
I was so enamored with the film, I looked up Duncan Jones on IMDB and it looks like he's about to start filming a new movie called "Source Code", which he described as "a spiritual Blade Runner" on one of Moon's Q&A featurettes. I will certainly be following his work for some time to come.

Edit: After further review, it appears that Source Code is not the spiritual Blade Runner film that Duncan Jones was referring to. That film is called "Mute" and will hopefully be his next film after he wraps Source Code.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The "more than one f-bomb will get you an R" legend is just that: a legend. Although I simply do not trust the MPAA for various reasons (I prefer the Alberta Film Review Board's ratings for clarity), the f-bomb rule goes like this: the MPAA is generally more lenient when the f-bomb is used in a non-sexual context (are you f-ing nuts, for example), whereas if it is used in a sexual context (f you, motherf-er, etc), you are more likely to get an R. I have not seen Moon yet, but am looking forward to it. FWIW, it got a 14A in Alberta, which means under 14 must be accompanied by an adult; that seems far more appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks