What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ District 9 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Director Neill Blomkamp's District 9, which just beneath its surface appears to be a parable of apartheid, especially with its South African locations, would make a wonderful double bill with Invictus.

While I fear that many viewers will be polarized by the film, within the "love it or hate it" arena, I'm a fan. I especially enjoyed the textural mechanism which immediately took me back to a film that I love, Peter Jackson's Forgotten Silver.

Sony's Blu-ray of this TriStar release is impeccable, as it should be, especially as a port with 4k Red One origins.

Overall a very enjoyable sci-fi film, which has me looking forward to a meal of good sized lobster.

Recommended.

RAH

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Hahahah! From a pure FOOD perspective, they reminded me more of the Moreton Bay 'Bugs' they have in Brisbane, Australia. I think I ate my weight in those every day I was there.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to ask a question about the disc. I've had the blu ray for several months so I can't return it to Amazon. Last night I unwrapped it, put it in my Oppo 93. It gets to the point where there are two icons to choose from, a human and an alien. I've tried choosing both and get the same results. There's a loading graphic and and the screen goes black and the mover never plays.

It's a hard freeze and I have to eject the disc to get control of my player. Anyone else have problem with this disc?

And why those two icons to choose from? What's the difference?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Holy crap. I just put the disc back in the oppo. Same results so I went to my iMac to find a contact for sony pictures. Just as I find the contact, I head sound someone from my HT. The disc is playing a menu. This must be the slowest ever loading disc I've encountered. Holy crap. From the point I selected the human icon it must have close to 5 minutes. Holy crap!

BTW, my firmware is up to date.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Holy crap. I just put the disc back in the oppo. Same results so I went to my iMac to find a contact for sony pictures. Just as I find the contact, I head sound someone from my HT. The disc is playing a menu. This must be the slowest ever loading disc I've encountered. Holy crap. From the point I selected the human icon it must have close to 5 minutes. Holy crap!

BTW, my firmware is up to date.

I have the same player and disc, so I thought I'd try it.

After letting it play through the previews, I came to the two icon selection page. I didn't select either because I was waiting for my second hand to get to a convenient point. At just about the time I was ready to click, the disc proceeded on its own and was at the menu in 25 seconds. Do you have BD Live enabled on your player? That could feasibly delay the start.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think I do have it enabled. Universal discs use it a lot and they aren't as slow as District 9. Do you know why there are the human and alien icons to choose from?

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I think I do have it enabled. Universal discs use it a lot and they aren't as slow as District 9. Do you know why there are the human and alien icons to choose from?

From what I can see, it just selects between two themes - the artwork and clips and maybe the sounds.

I activated BD Live on my player to see what effect it would have. In my case, I had about a 2.5 minute delay before reaching the menu. From the menu, I then selected BD Live. After about 2.5 minutes, a popup asked me to confirm that I was connected to the internet. I assume that Sony no longer has any content for this title or the server is just down or unreachable. The delay we are experiencing is the player waiting for the internet request to time out.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
From what I can see, it just selects between two themes - the artwork and clips and maybe the sounds.

I activated BD Live on my player to see what effect it would have. In my case, I had about a 2.5 minute delay before reaching the menu. From the menu, I then selected BD Live. After about 2.5 minutes, a popup asked me to confirm that I was connected to the internet. I assume that Sony no longer has any content for this title or the server is just down or unreachable. The delay we are experiencing is the player waiting for the internet request to time out.
This makes sense. I've had other discs tell me I wasn't connected to the internet and give me a prompt, but much quicker than this disc does. I don't remember BD Live being an option on my player. I thought you just connected to wifi or you didn't. When I wasn't connected was when I got the prompt. Till now my slowest loading disc of all time was T2 Skynet Edition.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
This makes sense. I've had other discs tell me I wasn't connected to the internet and give me a prompt, but much quicker than this disc does. I don't remember BD Live being an option on my player. I thought you just connected to wifi or you didn't. When I wasn't connected was when I got the prompt. Till now my slowest loading disc of all time was T2 Skynet Edition.

The Oppo 93 gives you the option to set BD Live to On, Off or Limited. Even if it's set off, you can still have internet access for checking on firmware updates or using the internet apps. I don't know what the Limited setting does.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oh. Yeah. I wound up disabling the internet connection when I played that one. Makes the sloths at the DMV in Zootopia look like Jesse Owens.
OMG, I hadn't thought of the DMV scene but you are so right. What makes it worse is that, for me at least, the screen goes blank so no progress is visible.

I timed it last night. It took 3:45" to bring up the menu after selecting the human icon. That doesn't include the time skipping the forced trailers to get to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks