What's new

Oppo to introduce lower cost BD player (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
According to EngadgetHD (http://hd.engadget.com/2009/12/22/oppo-to-add-a-lower-cost-blu-ray-player-to-its-lineup/#comments), Oppo announced on their Twitter feed that a lower priced blu-ray player is coming soon. From twitter...

We will be announcing a lower-cost Blu-ray player in early January 2010. Visit www.oppodigital.com around that time to learn more.

I don't suppose anyone has any more information on this? I am guessing not. I was getting read to buy a BD player, guess I will have to wait now.

-Keith

JPcommanderLTD

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I found this on the blu-ray.com. (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3948)

Oppo Digital, the maker of the acclaimed but pricy BDP-83 Blu-ray player, has announced on its Twitter page: "We will be announcing a lower-cost Blu-ray player in early January 2010." There is no information regarding technical details or specific pricing at this time, but people interested are encouraged to visit the company's website "around that time" (presumably coinciding with CES) to learn more.

A company representative also revealed that they are investigating several streaming options

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

Please read our rules again: it's not "done" to completely copy a message or article from elsewhere. Just point to it, if they find it interesting people will read it "in place".

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To keep the discussion about this new Oppo BR Player, I merged two threads together.

Crawdaddy

cmchen0

Auditioning
Real Name
Jimmy
I really like Oppo BR player, but they are sure expensive. It is nice to hear that the company is releasing a lower cost BR player. I hope the quality don't decrease though.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Of course!

This is happening because my wife really outdid herself and bought me a BDP-83 for Christmas. :(

It's not the lower price that will make me sick, it's if there are newer/better features. I didn't want just ANY BD player and had a hard time convincing her the justification of the 83 over $120-199 players she regularly saw in local shops.
Worst Timing EVER!

C

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Well I am little disappointed that Oppo hasn't announced the low cost player they mentioned for early January. Hopefully it won't slide too far down the line. I would settle for mid January or even late January. :)

-Keith

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The rumors regarding this player do not really excite me. I already own an Oppo 980H, and this new player is supposed to be an upgraded 980H with BD capabilities. I was hoping for something with improved SD-DVD playback and scaling for less cost than the BDP-83.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I'd be interested if it was just as good as the BDP-83 on the video side, but stripped down on the analog audio out section (to make it a cheaper player). Most likely I'd be using HDMI bit streaming, so that won't matter. Video, on the other hand,...

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I think what they should do is put an Oppo BDP-83 in a cheaper case, and sell it for $350 less. ( re: the Lexicon)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, it appears from the spec sheet that it's largely the same with one major difference: the cheaper version doesn't have the Anchor Bay VRS.. that's a pretty significant difference in my book, and would definitely cause the change in price to make the higher end version worth it.

But it's likely the entry level model will still be a very nice unit for the price.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I think it is geared toward someone who has a good upconverting AVR or scaler, or who doesn't use it for DVDs. If any of those apply to you why spend the extra money on a video section you won't use? Regardless of which works for you they are both outstanding values.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks