What's new

STOP UNIVERSALS combo disks (1 Viewer)

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
Lets start a petition to STOP Universals combo IF we as consumers don't buy them they will fail Give us 50 GB dual layer disks instead !!!! All Universals prior efforts to make combo disks has been a disaster
that skips or fails after short usage this will be a disaster for blu ray if this spreads to other studios !!!!
--

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If not buying Blu-ray/DVD combo discs is sufficient to cause them to fail, why do we need a petitition?

Just for the record, the combo disc fully supports the BD-50 dual layer format on the Blu-ray side.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Petitions don't work. These flipper discs are a dumb idea, but the only way to stop them is to not buy them. The flipper discs are bad enough, but I'm more annoyed that this format is barely out of its infancy and these studios are already starting to recycle films that were released on BD only a short time ago. The resources being used on these recycles should be going towards releasing films that aren't on BD yet. There are are massive libraries of films that haven't even had a dent put in them and these stupid studios are already starting the trend of releasing multiple editions of the same film over and over. At least, allow this format to reach some sort of maturity before starting that ridiculous business practice.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
With all due respect, I owned and reviewed a number of dual-sided HD-DVD/DVD releases without a single issue, so please be cautious with such blanket statements.

Originally Posted by mgdvd0

All Universals prior efforts to make combo disks has been a disaster
that skips or fails after short usage this will be a disaster for blu ray if this spreads to other studios !!!!
--

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I don't like them.
I prefer not to buy them.
2 disc COMBOs are just fine.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

With all due respect, I owned and reviewed a number of dual-sided HD-DVD/DVD releases without a single issue, so please be cautious with such blanket statements.
With all due respect, ALL of the more than a dozen DVDs I have had fail worked fine at first. It was only after months or years that they became unplayable simply sitting in their cases on the shelf.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

With all due respect, ALL of the more than a dozen DVDs I have had fail worked fine at first. It was only after months or years that they became unplayable simply sitting in their cases on the shelf.

The point being what? That we should start a petition to prevent the distribution of DVDs because some of them have failed over the years?

The OP claims that prior efforts with combo discs have been a "disaster". Neil is simply reporting that his experience is otherwise. If your point is that it's too early to tell, then we can probably agree -- but that point is more properly directed at the OP.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kaye

Do we really need a second thread on this subject?
there is another topic on this new combo disc situation?

Anyway, I won't buy any of these.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

The point being what? That we should start a petition to prevent the distribution of DVDs because some of them have failed over the years?

The OP claims that prior efforts with combo discs have been a "disaster". Neil is simply reporting that his experience is otherwise. If your point is that it's too early to tell, then we can probably agree -- but that point is more properly directed at the OP.
I don't see what is wrong with addressing Neil's comments, as they indicate no issue with the discs when he reviewed them, which is fair enough - my point is that they may not be so fine now or in the future. The more complicated the manufacturing, the more likely to fail.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ The BDA must have, if they're allowed to call them Blu-ray and/or put the logo on them (we'll see if they have that). As long as both combo sides meet the associated specs, I guess they deserve the logos. Current regular BDs aren't even guaranteed to play in every BD player LOL, so playability doesn't count it seems.

DualDisc, from what I can see from the ones I have, and from what I can remember, was never allowed to have either the DVD or CD logos. They could only say they played in CD and DVD players.

And SACD/CD hybrids have both logos. The layers just have to meet the specs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

. . . my point is that they may not be so fine now or in the future. The more complicated the manufacturing, the more likely to fail.

And my point is that the example of failed DVDs is not very persuasive. Yes, some have failed, but on the whole the format has been reasonably durable.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I dont like DVD-18s, and i had a high fail rate of many Universal TV shows, and movies, that used them. Its because of my feelings of those discs, that i wont buy any of these discs. I wrote Universal to tell them about it too.

I know i am not the only person to have trouble with DVD-18s, new, or a few months old. I had many fail. Adam-12 season 1, Emergency! season 1, and the first release of Northern Exposure season one come to mind.

Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The OP's logic is faulty. A petition is used as a means to convince people to take positive action on something, not as a means to tell a company their product isn't liked. You don't like combo discs, don't buy them, and urge others not to buy them. Simple.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Jeff - My comment is merely to address the fallacy of the OP's argument. I have yet to experience an issue with any of the many combo discs I have (and still watch today without issue). I do not discount that there may be failures, but I have yet to experience any such failure. People may have many reasons why they do not like the idea of combo discs and they will let Universal know with their wallets (the best way, in my view). But the OP was using a faulty argument to make their case, and that is what I was addressing.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm glad you haven't experienced any failures with your discs, but how can you make the assertion that just because you haven't seen any failures (yet) that it is a false argument? There were lots of people who denied laser rot and I'm sure there are thousands of people who haven't had, or haven't discovered, their DVDs fail (yet) who believe nothing can go wrong, but when you have a few hundred dollars worth of media that has rotted away (at least that I know of, there could be tens or hundreds of my other discs that have gone bad too), you approach what appears to be a more complicated manufacturing process with a bit of skepticism.

I don't know what effect a petition would have, but I can say that I'm not going to be buying any of these until they have a long established track record, and if some awareness makes the studios rethink their approach, so be it.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I've had far more DVD 9s fail that flippers. In fact I've never had a flipper, either DVD or HD DVD fail. I quite like the idea, as long as here is only one release and not a separate DVD only.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks