What's new

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10 (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I am so happy to hear that Volume 7 is coming! I wonder if there will be bonus features this time around. There are only 22 shorts. I'm just glad to see the continuation of this series. Can't wait for this collection to be complete.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Great news. We have two episodes left to view from Vol. 6, which we will be watching this Friday evening. :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It would be nice if the two 3D shorts were offered in 2D and 3D. Until I here no, then I will still hope.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
For the record, the following 3 Stooge shorts had all newly filmed material which was photographed for widescreen 1.85 presentation:

SPOOKS (sepia-toned)
PARDON MY BACKIRE
GOOF ON THE ROOF
INCOME TAX SAPPY
SHOT IN THE FRONTIER
GYPPED IN THE PENTHOUSE
BLUNDER BOYS
HOOFS AND GOOFS
MUSCLE UP A LITTLE CLOSER
A MERRY MIX-UP
SPACE SHIP SAPPY
GUNS A-POPPIN' (brief 1.37 stock footage)
HORSING AROUND
OUTER SPACE JITTERS
QUIZ WHIZ
SWEET AND HOT
FLYING SAUCER DAFFY
OIL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL (brief 1.37 stock footage)

Here's a frame grab from an original sepia-toned, 35mm 3-D (left eye) print of SPOOKS:

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Yay! I'd like to see the two shorts in 3D also. It would be smart to release them that way with this current 3D "craze" we're in.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the info, Bob. I hope Columbia/Sony maintains the OAR on these.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The two 3-D Stooge shorts were filmed with Columbia's studio built 3-D camera rig, and were originally shown theatrically in the Polaroid system, which is very similar to the 3-D currently shown in theaters. The quality of the depth and photography was very good. Two 35mm prints (left and right sides) were interlocked and viewed through Polaroid glasses. SPOOKS was sepia-tinted, and that frame grab in my earlier post was taken from a left print. You can see the compositions were intended for widescreen 1.85, which was Columbia's house ratio at that time.

The inferior red/blue anaglyph single print conversions were not created until the late 1960's for Columbia's 8mm division. The quality between the original Polaroid and the newer anaglyph is night and day.

Originally, SPOOKS went out with Columbia's big Technicolor/stereophonic sound/3-D western FORT TI. In fact, Larry makes a reference to Fort Ticonderoga in the first scene of the film for that very reason.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek

The two 3-D Stooge shorts were filmed with Columbia's studio built 3-D camera rig, and were originally shown theatrically in the Polaroid system, which is very similar to the 3-D currently shown in theaters. The quality of the depth and photography was very good. Two 35mm prints (left and right sides) were interlocked and viewed through Polaroid glasses. SPOOKS was sepia-tinted, and that frame grab in my earlier post was taken from a left print. You can see the compositions were intended for widescreen 1.85, which was Columbia's house ratio at that time.

The inferior red/blue anaglyph single print conversions were not created until the late 1960's for Columbia's 8mm division. The quality between the original Polaroid and the newer anaglyph is night and day.

Originally, SPOOKS went out with Columbia's big Technicolor/stereophonic sound/3-D western FORT TI. In fact, Larry makes a reference to Fort Ticonderoga in the first scene of the film for that very reason.
I wonder which side SONY/COLPIX used to restore the 3-D shorts in 2-D - the left or the right? :)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of Bonus materials, there's something I'd like to see Sony try to get their hands on for the last box set (or the inevitable complete Stooges set).

When he was a teenager, Tom Bergeron (host of Hollywood Squares and Dancing With The Stars) called up Moe and Larry and interviewed them both a few times. He taped the conversations for use on a local radio station, and packed the tapes away for 30 some years.

Recently, when he was on the Howard Stern show, Bergeron revealed this, Howard asked for the tapes, and Bergeron found 'em. Stern's tapes crew transferred the tapes to a digital format, and produced an interesting special.

Now, they probably couldn't get the Howard 101 special, but if they were interested, it would probably be easy to get the raw audio of Bergeron interviewing Moe and Larry and slap it on a Stooges set as a special feature. I mean, this is about an hour of lost, candid interview audio with the two remaining Stooges in the early 70s. It's perfect for a special feature, IMO.

As for the box sets, this will leave us with how many more sets to complete the shorts? One more set, or two? And then we have the movies to go through, and Kook's Tour...

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I, too, am curious as to how many sets will remain. I thought there would only be 2 but now with this new release, it seems as if they are going to spread the remaining shorts over 3 more sets including this one which hasn't been officially announced yet.

Anyhow, I do hope the November 10th date is confirmed soon. It would have been a reasonable time between releases. And I am enjoying these sets very much. Looking forward to the Joe shorts.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
There was a thread on the release plans a while back and it confirmed form Sony that we would have:

Volume 7 - Shemp 1952-1954
Volume 8 - Shemp 1955-1956 including Shemp solo shorts
Volume 9 - Joe Besser 1956-1958 including Joe Besser solo shorts

No confirmation of Volume 10 being the movies set but it would seem likely. So we always have had at least 3 more sets.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
That is great news! Thanks go to Sony for continuing with this excellent series. The films have been painstakingly restored and look the best I've ever seen them. The packaging is consistent and easy to identify. The price is very reasonable. Just a great job on every aspect.

Anxious to pick this one up like all the others, on release day.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I wonder what they will do with the next set. If they split it up into 2 more volumes, there will be considerably less shorts per set unless they add the bonus solo shorts, which I hope they do. If not, then does anyone think we will get one more set with the remaining shorts?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It would be nice if Volume 8 would have the remaining Shemps, and Shemp's solo shorts, and then Volume 9 can be the sixteen Joes, with Joe's solo shorts and maybe some more Columbia comedy shorts thrown in. I doubt a Volume 9 like that would be terribly popular, though. I'd like it, but I'm kind of strange.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Robert13

I wonder what they will do with the next set. If they split it up into 2 more volumes, there will be considerably less shorts per set unless they add the bonus solo shorts, which I hope they do. If not, then does anyone think we will get one more set with the remaining shorts?
According to someone at the Three Stooges forum (threestooges.net), there is supposed to be more than just one remaining volume; the later ones will include solo Shemps and Joes on their respective sets. I can't find the exact thread, but that's been the scuttlebutt for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks