What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Dollhouse: Season One (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Dollhouse: Season One

Release Date: Available now
Studio: Fox Home Entertainment
Packaging/Materials: Three-disc Blu-ray case
Year: 2009
Rating: N/A
Running Time: Approx. 9 hours
MSRP: $69.99

MAIN FEATURE
Video 1080p high definition 16x9 1.78:1
Audio DTS-HD Master Audio: English 5.1
Subtitles English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese

A promising TV series from Joss Whedon gets very good technical treatment and a great set of special features.

Edited by Cameron Yee - 8/5/2009 at 04:24 am GMT

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
My blu-ray set arrived from deepdiscount the other day, and I was able to find time to sit down and watch the first episode last night. It was okay. But all I've heard (and how you detail in your review) is how this show kicks into another gear with the sixth episode.

Question: Would you recommend me skipping the other four episodes and watching Episode #6, or would I lose something in translation if I skipped the remaining four of the first five episodes?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff-Wooten

My blu-ray set arrived from deepdiscount the other day, and I was able to find time to sit down and watch the first episode last night. It was okay. But all I've heard (and how you detail in your review) is how this show kicks into another gear with the sixth episode.

Question: Would you recommend me skipping the other four episodes and watching Episode #6, or would I lose something in translation if I skipped the remaining four of the first five episodes?
Considering that there's only 13 episodes, you might as well watch them all. For what it's worth, I don't think the show got that much better when Fox started leaving them alone. There's just as many good episodes and as many duds in the second half of the season as there are in the first.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
You're right, Travis. I'll probably end up watching them anyway. I am anxious to get to ep 6 and see what the hubbub is about with that one.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
FBI agent Paul Ballard (Tahmoh Penikett) is hunting for the Dollhouse, a supposed human trafficking operation that most of his colleagues think is an urban legend. But Ballard's instincts tell him otherwise and he has a sliver of a lead through a missing persons case for a young woman named Caroline (Eliza Dushku). Trapped in the Dollhouse, Caroline has had her personality and memories taken away in order to be imprinted with other identities and abilities, a new set for every assignment her masters give her. Though a Dollhouse job could be as benevolent as a hostage rescue, it could also be as questionable as an intimate evening with a lonely millionaire. Regardless of the cause, there's an ethical line that is always blurry if not outright obliterated. And as Ballard slowly works his way closer to the operation he'll learn that simply shutting it down is naive at best. It's obvious he won't be able to do anything without some help from the inside.
If this isn't the most perfect synopsis of the series, then there simply isn't one.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Wow, thanks! (I of course had to give your post a thumbs up! )

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by TravisR

Considering that there's only 13 episodes, you might as well watch them all. For what it's worth, I don't think the show got that much better when Fox started leaving them alone. There's just as many good episodes and as many duds in the second half of the season as there are in the first.
I agree completely. I still can't figure out if I really like the series. I tend to be equal parts intrigued, bored, frustrated & excited by the show. I am very curious to see the unaired pilot and episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks