What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Watchmen: Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Watchmen

Watchmen: Director's Cut

Release Date: July 21, 2009
Studio: Warner Brothers
Packaging/Materials: Three-disc Blu-ray case with cardstock and lenticular slipcover
Year:
Rating:
R
Running Time:
3h06m
MSRP:
$35.99

MAIN FEATURE SPECIAL FEATURES
Video 1080p high definition 16x9 2.40:1 1080p high definition
Audio DTS-HD Master Audio: English 5.1; Dolby Digital: French 5.1 N/A
Subtitles English SDH, French, Spanish English SDH, French (on select bonus material)

The Feature: 4/5

An impressive adaptation of a deep and complex graphic novel gets excellent technical treatment and a fine set of special features.

Edited by Cameron Yee - 7/15/2009 at 03:43 pm GMT

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the thorough review.

I'm probably more in the camp of people that had some big issues with the film itself. Too many elements didn't work for me - a good chunk of which you've pointed out. I would add that I wasn't convinced much by the actor playing Ozymandias, and that there seemed to be too much of an emphasis on recreating the frame-by-frame of some panels from the comic without an understanding of the underlying meaning. I've seen the final Hollis Mason scene and had that reaction to it - in theory, it matches the comic, but in execution, we miss its point.

You make a very good point about the "Ultimate" edition coming later this year. I'm going to wait for that one to see if it helps to add back in the Freighter comic footage. I'll likely rent this one just to see the special features.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Terrific movie, sounds like a terrific disc, thanks Cameron. Can't wait until Tuesday.

What is the resolution and format of these "digital copies"?

---Jefferson Morris

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Nice review, Cameron.

I cannot wait to buy this, I really enjoyed the theatrical cut. I'm going to have to buy the graphic novel someday and check it out too.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by Jefferson Morris

Terrific movie, sounds like a terrific disc, thanks Cameron. Can't wait until Tuesday.

What is the resolution and format of these "digital copies"?...
The iTunes version is presented at a resolution of 853x354 pixels and encoded at a bitrate of 1,960 kbps. It contains both stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio tracks. Don't know about the Windows Media options.

Regards,

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Received my copy today. Just watched the opening (Comedian's demise) with and without the Maximum Movie Made. It looked very good, with a slight bit of grain. It sounded very impressive as well. It's 9 pm here, and I live in an apartment so I couldn't put it on too loud, but if the opening is anything to go by (and I'm sure it will) the subwoofer gets a lot of workout. The Maximum movie mode was absolutely seamless on my player (Sony BDP-S350) and it seems very interesting.
I haven't seen the movie in it's entirety yet (didn't have three hours of spare time). I will watch it in the weekend and I will probably read the graphic novel first.

RickyB

Agent
If you've never read the graphic novel I recommend watching the movie first. After you've read the graphic novel you can revisit the movie and see how your perception has changed.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Oh, I have read the comic before. I just think I would read it again, so I could compare the two more easily. But maybe the differences would just stick out more.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
did anyone get the BD-Live special viewing event email invitation? it's similar to the Dark Knight event. so similar, in fact, that at the RSVP screen from Warner.com it asks "what three questions do you want to ask director Christopher Nolan?" :) hopefully they change it soon

post script - > i just went back to get a screencap, they changed it :P

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Do we know for sure that a more expansive edition is coming for the end of the year?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Do we know for sure that a more expansive edition is coming for the end of the year?
The flier included with this release says it is. I guess in the unlikely event that this release completely tanks, they might shelve it but other than that, it seems like you'll see it under 5 months.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

Oh, I have read the comic before. I just think I would read it again, so I could compare the two more easily. But maybe the differences would just stick out more.
That was my approach--I had read the comic years long enough ago to forget many of the details. I saw the film, then re-read the comic, and came away with a greater appreciation for both.

In fact, I was surprised at how many things I didn't remember from the comic that I thought were inventions of the filmmakers, but which turned out to be straight from the book. It's really a very faithful adaptation, by any realistic standard, despite the grousing of some fanboys.

--Jefferson Morris

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
the wife is kinda hedgy on gore, she's not a horror fan by any means ( I Am) how gory is the gore aspect of the picture?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
watchmen is not a horror film.. on the scale of 1 to 10 about the gore.. I would say 11.
its not going to be a movie for everyone. a few scenes here and there that are a bit disturbing.

Jacob

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I found the excessive violence to be somewhat juvenile in the movie (which I liked overall). There are some things we simply didn't need to see (like the chainsaw and the prisoner's arms).

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I would call the film occasionally quite graphic, although it's not wall-to-wall blood and guts. The aforementioned scene with the chainsaw is like something out of a horror movie--a reminder that this director came to prominence with a 'Dawn of the Dead' remake.

Just picked up the blu-ray, now counting the minutes until I can leave work and give it a spin. I just replaced the aging lamp in my projector to ensure a good presentation.

--Jefferson Morris

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Just watched the DC. Loved the movie (more than in the theater, even), but did not care much for the excessive gore. It really didn't seem necessary to me. Otherwise though, great film. I'm probably gonna hear from the neighbors on account of the DTS track though. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the director's cut and it makes a very good movie even better. Loved the scene with

the original Night Owl's demise.
As for the violence, I have no problem with it but I can see how others do. Violence is ugly and unpleasant and I'd rather see it portrayed that way then just cutting away to someone else reacting.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As for the violence, I have no problem with it but I can see how others do. Violence is ugly and unpleasant and I'd rather see it portrayed that way then just cutting away to someone else reacting.
My primary issue with it was there wasn't that kind of violence - in particular the saw to the arms - in the graphic novel. So making it as graphic as it was seemed to serve no purpose other than to titillate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks