What's new

A checklist for a new LCD TV? (1 Viewer)

MDDC

Auditioning
Real Name
David
When my Samsung LN52B750 was delivered, the delivery guy from Pilot (I bought it from Amazon) helped to set up the TV. He said my TV's screen is relative darker than the same model he set up for other customers.

What could be the reason? Good or bad? Any suggestion?

Cheers!

MDDC

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Can somebody provide a checklist of things to check when a new LCD TV such as my Samsung LN52B750 arrives?

I am new in this stuff and would like to ensure I checked everything during my 30-day free-return period.

Thank you!

MDDC

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Can somebody provide a checklist of things to check when a new LCD TV such as my Samsung LN52B750 arrives?

I am new in this stuff and would like to ensure I checked everything during my 30-day free-return period.

Thank you!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If this is your first HDTV buy or rent a consumer-level calibration disc like Digital Video Essentials or Avia II. Hook up your DVD player and run the disc to adjust the settings before you try watching any of your normal video sources. This will save you the usual new-to-HD coronary when you fire up the TV and everything looks like crap (especially you SD DVDs and SD TV channels) because the factory settings are distorting the image.

Depending on your TV, you may have to move the player from input to input and adjust each of them individually. (You may be able to get away with doing each type of input once, then copying the settings from one HDMI input to the others, or using the same settings for all your component inputs.) This actually accomplishes two things - it calibrates the inputs and it makes sure they all work. If you never plan to use the component or s-video inputs you can skip them, but you should test the others, just in case.

If you're running everything through an AV receiver and only using one TV input, you may have to move the DVD player from input to input on the receiver to acheive the same result. (My TV requires that I adjust my cable company DVR and one of my DVD players independently, then applies the DVD player settings to the 2nd player automatically. All three are connected through my receiver via component video, and the two DVD players are the same make and model.)

Once the set is calibrated, obviously you should hook up all your video sources (cable/satellite set-top box, DVD player, game system) and test a favorite show/DVD/game - something you know well and will be a good test of how the TV is working.

Play with the sound settings, change the lighting in the room to see if flaws or problems that weren't visible under one set of conditions show up under another.

Other items depend on your video sources and viewing habits. Do you have cable, satellite or neither? HD service? DVR? Do you need or want to receive local broadcast signals over-the-air? All of these will affect what other connections you might want to check out, and how to check them.

Regards

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
David:

You really shouldn't start two essentially identical threads. It just leads to confusion. I replied to you other thread not even knowing that you had already received your television.

Regards,

Joe

MDDC

Auditioning
Real Name
David

Joe, sorry about the confusion. Initially I was hoping to add that checklist question to my old thread but got confused when being unable to see the new post after posting and refreshing, thinking the website asks me to post a new one.

My appology.

Thanks for your info on the new thread.

All the best.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Kevin's suggestion is a good one, but understand that "canned" calibration settings will only be a good approximation. To really get your set "dialed in" for your room (and your eyes) you will still need to do your own calibration with DVE, Avia or a similar disc. The fact is that no two TVs that come off the same assembly line are ever identical in every respect, and the variations will affect the image. Hell, the same TV will be different in six months or a year and probably need to be recalibrated.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks