What's new

got a green light on the mancave! (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
My wife gave me a green light on building an addition to our home primarily to house a mancave. We'll also be building an extra bedroom so my boys don't have to share, but mostly it is the mancave.

I am quite excited about the prospect and right now I have a clean slate. I've been pondering what I want to do with it and the space I'll require.

The knowns are:
It will be on the first floor (which for my house is similar to a basement since the living room, master bed and kitchen are all on second story)
I must have a wetbar and a corner for fitness equipment.
I plan to put my kids drumsets, keyboard and guitar in another corner.
I would like very much to have a pool table, but it is not mandatory.
A card table is low on the needs list but would be nice.
I will probably put in a wide TV, BUT NOT FOR HOME THEATER - My living room has a drop down screen for that and is far more comfortable than I expect the mancave to be. The mancave TV will be for X-box and noise while entertaining. I'm not too into sports but my guests probably will be.

I figure I can fit all of that into about 600 sf. not including the new bedroom. I also have seen and heard of some neat ideas regarding themes. Some are a bit over-the-top ; like a few that were actually made to look like caves or one that was made to look like the interior of a spaceship. Others are too typical; like a sports bar, car zone or college fraternity.

I've considered tikibar, western saloon, or railroad station (I have a softspot for model trains) I'm not limited to any of those. I live in Florida and have a Florida style home - metal roof, wood siding, etc. My wife is Canadian - which my college buds (California State University, Chico 1990 - very big party college) find funny given the vast number of times we drank beers and watched Strange Brew together.

I was wondering if anyone here had and advice from when they built mancaves and also if anyone had any suggestions or unique ideas for a theme I may want to entertain.

As I said - right now I have a very blank slate. I won't be able to commit until July. I expect a budget around $80k-$100k. I plan to post the design and construction process so long as there is interest and activity in the thread. I am very open to ideas or suggestions.

Let me know if you want to hear more, and if you have any words/advice/ideas/cave lore/llama jokes to contribute please share.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow that's a big budget.

Consider using black velvet cloth around the walls and ceiling to limit light reflections from the screen?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Dude. With all due respect, you may come to regret this decision. With a budget like yours, your new addition can be as comfortable as you want it to be. Plus, it will probably be the only place you can be alone with the sub-woofer that kind of budget will afford. I don't really have any design advice, but I would definitely go for a nice projector with at least a 100" screen. My room costs a fraction of what you are considering, and it has all of that. What you are describing sounds more like a multi-purpose room [and there's nothing wrong with that] but you said you were building a "mancave!"

Either way, best of luck, and congrats!!!

John

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Kep in mind - I ALREADY HAVE a theater with a 144" FPS and a 700 watt 15" sub - there is no need to double up on another theater. $100,000 is not much of a budget if you consider that I am not starting with a basement or spare room or even garage conversion; I am starting with a lawn... The money will probably barely cover the construction.

Sadly - with the hike in interest rates last week I may be postponing the cave for a while. I'm still going to get the plans for the architect and I think I'll finish the loan application process - but unless rates go back down to the low 5's the man cave may be sunk. Damn the rates for moving so fast.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I'd spend it all on soundproofing (including making sure the air vents won't transmit the sound of that room throughout the house).

As for motif, if you make it like a dungeon you could rent it out for adult entertainment shoots, since that's big business in Florida.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
...But if you have the personality that would suit it, a retro, early-1960s futurism could be good. Tons of furniture being made in that style today from places like chiasso.com and with the proper architecture and lighting design...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Sorry. I didn't know your living room system was that sophisticated. Ain't it grand??? Still, I would consider relocating that equipment to the cave when it's complete. My wife hates the noise when I watch movies, and I'm very happy to have my cave so that we can peacefully co-exist.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I hope you don't end up having to postpone. Now is the absolute best time in years to build/buy anything, assuming you can afford to spend. Great deals everywhere, and I'm sure you could find some contractors eager to bargain for the business.

Again, good luck!

John

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Nah - my wife loves movie nights. It is the games that make she and I crazy. Moving it out of the livingroom will be a godsend.

The livingroom home theater is quite nice, I probably should post some photos sometimes. We have the screen recessed into an overhang built on our custom entertainment center. There is a small 54" TV for regular daily viewing (cartoons). We have blackout shades over the windows, including power shades on the ones 20' off the floor. We have a semi-circle leather sectional with a huge ottoman for the family to sit in while watching shows. It is quite nice. My only regret is not having space in the custom center for tower speakers - we have large bookshelf speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks