What's new

*** Official NINE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Gee, that's going to get confusing with another film titled '9', I think.
But what's the deal? Does every actor sing in this? And it does seem a bit strange to have Daniel Day-Lewis in a musical, but that might just be me. It worked out fine for Johnny Depp
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'm pretty excited for this for a couple of reasons. I've never seen the stage show and haven't listened to any of the cast recordings. So I'm interested in just seeing it to see it, and the fact that the casting intrigues me - putting Judi Dench in the trailer immediately means I have to see it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'm also eager to see a musical film by Rob Marshall that I won't constantly be comparing to the Fosse style productions I'm used to seeing. Unfortunately, every time I watch Marshall's "Chicago" I'm constantly remembering the Fosse stuff from both the original Broadway show and the "Fosse-style" revival and I'm honestly not too fond of the choreography in the film.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

When I clicked on the link I thought it was another trailer for "9".

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Looks interesting to me. Don't know anything about the stage version, so right now it's the all-star musical remake of "8 1/2" starring Daniel Day-Lewis. Sounds cool enough.

The trailer looks nice. The worst thing about it though was it didn't feature Day-Lewis singing. :angry:

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I saw the original stage production, directed by Tommy Tune, starring Raul Julia - it was one of the most original, brilliantly staged, compelling theatrical experiences I've ever had. I didn't think the music was memorable, but the book was interesting, plus the direction, sets, costumes, performances etc melded into something uniquely theatrical that I can't imagine capturing on film. Tune was a brilliant stage director and had one of the most creative minds in musical theater. Shame he never brought that talent to cinema.

Not saying it won't work on film, but I'd be surprised if it comes close to the theatrical presentation.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Kate Hudson song/trailer was kinda annoying. Still looking forward to this one though. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
(The following was originally written in response to a post now in the Official Review thread.)

What struck me about your review, Patrick, is how closely it tracks the opinions of more than a few people I know of the stage musical -- including me. I found the first act wildly entertaining, as Guido's colorful predicament gets laid out, and the second act a bore, because it's a fairly shallow predicament.

Sounds like the film is a faithful adaptation. I still plan to see it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Nine". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Nine" should be posted to the
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben ">[/url]

[/QUOTE]Why past tense? He's still alive and working.
Yes, happily the great Tommy Tune is among the very much living, still singing and dancing, charming as ever and looking fabulous for a 70 year old. Alas he is no longer doing what he was born to do: direct theater on Broadway. His "Steps In Time" plays major venues like...Wabash, Indiana...sigh. The good part about that was Wabash is only 45 minutes away from my front door.

Speaking of whom, here's Tommy's in a Christmas video, which is charming enough but certainly doesn't convey the depth of his talent:

[url=http://www.tommytune.com/ny_at_xmas.html]www.tommytune.com/ny_at_xmas.html[/url]

I got to see Nine at a free screening, which is a good thing, since I would have hated to have paid to see this trainwreck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks