What's new

HTF Hardware Review: Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blu-Ray Player (1 Viewer)

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
images_pioneer05FDBD.jpg">_ [b]

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
I find, with my limited experience of having different DVD players over the years, that the 05 is remarkable in its video and audio reproduction.

However, I'm finding that some of my "classical" MGM musicals on SD DVD have sync problems: "Meet Me In St. Louis," "Silk Stockings." and "Deep In My Heart." I do not know why these sould have the problem but later films (on SD DVD) do not.

tremojem

Agent
Real Name
Paraden Nakaneer
Thank you for the great review. Would you please answer a couple questions for me?

I cannot find the settings for "pure bit stream" and "professional". Where can I find these settings, thanks.

tremojem

Agent
Real Name
Paraden Nakaneer
Gary,

Thanks for replying. I found the "professional", but was unable to find the "pure bitstream". I found the settings, while a disc is playing, that allow you to select audio, but this is not the same. All I really want to do is have the very best video/audio going from the HDMI out of my BD player to my Denon 3808CI HDMI in and out again to my Pro-111FD. This is not as simple as it seems. I will say that the discovery undertaken during this learning curve is enjoyable, but sometimes frustrating. As a side note...I am making every possible attempt to make sure that the settings on the Denon are "passthru". I am not adding any processing to my signals, but again this is not as simple as it would seem. I took on these three compenents at the same time and it is a bit overwhelming. Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you and yours, thanks Gary.

tremojem

Agent
Real Name
Paraden Nakaneer
Gary,

I think I have discovered that HDMI is how you get pure bitstream. Thanks

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nice review Gary. I recently acquired the Pioneer BDP-51 (clone) and I agree with your review.

My reference player in my main HT was the Sony 2000-ES model which for me, was the best player I've ever had. (I've had alot!)...but the Pioneer produces a tad sharper image without looking edgy.

It's also faster loading discs. Some titles do take a long time but that's ok.

The only negative thing I can see so far from my 45 days of use is the remote. It's rather awful. :D Buttons are VERY tiny and for we front projection folks who keep kind of dark theater, it's hard.

I have noticed sometimes lately on sd-dvds that there is an occasional artifacting going on? Been watching Lost Season 1 on dvd and it's looking over processed...like the player is not reading the progressive flag or something? Need to check the settings again I guess.

I think I have it set to Auto...

Haven't noticed this on blu-rays though.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks