What's new

Friday Night Lights season 3 (DirecTV 101) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For those with DirecTV, you can watch Friday Night Lights on 101, season 3 premieres tonight. Check your local listings for airing times tonight. It was be replayed like most cable shows throughout the week.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Since I don't have Directv I will definitely be avoiding this thread until it shown on NBC later.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Why is this so under the radar? I was just looking at the wiki page the other day to see if the DirecTV deal was even still happening, and it still wasn't updated to reflect that it was.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There's a huge multi-page (8, I think) spread of Friday Night Lights in this week's Entertainment Weekly (with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert on the cover).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I only get my news from right here and wiki. Any word on when it will be rebroadcast on NBC? Next year? It'd be cool if Universal HD could have it earlier, but I doubt DTV would agree.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Thanks Patrick. I have to check that out.

I won't be seeing "Friday Night Lights" also until 2009. But I have to comment that I'm incredibly impressed by the commercials I've seen for this by DirecTV. They nail what this series is truly about, something NBC failed miserably at.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Man, I hope you're not talking about that horrid promo they showed right before the show with Riggins standing in the rain in an arm-spread preacher position!

Overall, I enjoyed the episode.

A few minor gripes:

I could swear in season one they said Riggins was a junior. But I guess you can't blame them for using their poetic license to keep Riggins in the mix this season.

I thought coach needing to see that video of Smash to convince him to talk him into keep playing football was lazy writing. Kind of lame that when Smash first told him he was done, coach just said, "Okay, it's your decision."

I like the storyline with the new freshman QB, but in reality, I don't think a high school freshman QB would ever be considered for starting, no matter how good.

LCD22

Screenwriter

No, not that one.

There was a different version of this one on the official DirecTV site for FNL, but I found it here:

This one showcases Kyle Chandler/Coach Taylor (and is my personal favorite):

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I watched the Friday Night Lights debut on DirecTV 101 last night. I didn't realize how much I miss this show! Still great writing and love the fact there are no commercials. A lot of things happened in the offseason.

I thought Riggins should have graduated last year also. He and Jason Street were best friends and in the same class. Maybe since Riggins was always ditching school they held him back. :laugh:

For those that missed it, the replay is Friday at 9pm on DirecTV 101.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit

We had a freshman start midway thru the season at my school. He gave the team the best chance to win. So its not impossible.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked how they caught the viewers up on what happened between Coach getting jealous of Tammy's old beau showing up trying to woo her, and now.

Tammy as the principal was one of those "stylus scritching across a spinning record" moments because I can't really fathom how that really happens, unless Buddy (& company) set it up.

Saracen being the possible odd man out this early sets the stage for more unexpected heroics if the freshman phenom gets hurt late in the season if Coach decides on starting him over Saracen due to enticements and pressure from the alumni association (Buddy and J.D.'s dad).

Just glad to have this show back, it is still bringing home the entertainment value (sadly, many returning shows this season aren't quite doing it for me, so I welcome back FNL with open arms).

Tom Kirk

Agent
Real Name
Tom Kirk

Is there a plan to show it on NBC later?
I don't know how they'd do that since the show was 55 minutes without commercials.
There were a whole series of clumsy blackouts, so, maybe their plan is 90 minutes on NBC?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The second episode was of more conventional length, so I don't see much problems with NBC airing season 3 episodes later.

Good second episode, just leaves you with warm and fuzzies, even though other battles are coming soon.

Tom Kirk

Agent
Real Name
Tom Kirk

Yep, it was about 43 minutes, and then there was that weird business of tacking on a "deleted scene".

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Good episode. Although I'm a little disappointed in Principal Tami for not realizing she's being played. Everything coach said to her was spot on...and shame on him for letting the barbeque happen at the other house.

I say this ever season, but Mama Smash really deserves an Emmy for every performance she gives. She could also go down as one of the greatest TV moms in history (which is amazing considering her small role).

I really hope Coach doesn't give in this week and play the freshman just because they lost (to a team they've never beat no less). Saracen played his heart out and wasn't the reason they lost. I didn't think he even fumbled the ball until after he scored anyway!

What was up with that scene where Saracen and Julie were looking at the freshman's trophy case? I didn't get that exchange at all.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
They were looking at shrine the McCoy kid has and he's only a freshman. They even had plaques for just participating up there. They made some comment about that and then the kid walked in. Parents are just a bit overboard don't you think?

He said something about "my parents even have my first diaper bronzed, its in the garage if you want to see it".

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson

Yeah, that was the part I didn't get. I guess he was making a joke and Saracen didn't get it?

Was that the first line of dialog JD has had?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
JD is probably tired of his father pushing and pushing to make him the next big thing, so the bronze diaper comment was just JD's way of letting us know that he's as much of a pawn as the rest of them, and it's his dad trying to live vicariously for the sport glory that seems to be in front of JD.

Mama Smash is a rock, how can you not love this character.

Riggins' brother is going to sink his college football chances, but desperation makes people like Billy do stupid things. Poor Lila, Riggins is slowly changing his ways, but Billy just keeps pulling him down.

Principal Coach is so naive at times, will she wise up the next time she has to interface with the McCoys. If I were Coach, I'd be furious with the for sale signs in my front yard after the game.

Saracen was playing like his hair was on fire, and they need instant replay in high school! Heh. Saracen did all he could, but jerk fans just see the L, and don't even acknowledge the effort and punishment Saracen was taking to lead his team.

The quality of this season is still up to par to its first season, and it's a shame NBC bailed on it half-ass with this other arrangement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks