What's new

WHV Announcement: Band of Brothers (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I don't like the selling point of "re-mastered."

Please, please keep grain intact.

Otherwise, really looking forward to this set!

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
But how will the picture quality compare with the Japanese HDDVD's? At least it comes in the same tin-jobby as the SDDVD.:crazy:

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Amazon's preorder price is $69.95. You can also get it from the Warner Bros. store for $55.95+tax if you use the 30% discount code ANWBTS and buy one other title (it's only good if you purchase two or more items), otherwise it's $77.95. You get free shipping at both sites.

Considering how expensive the other HBO Blu-ray sets are, this is a good price for an outstanding miniseries.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, fair price, IMO.

Just finished watching Ken Burns' "The War" documentary, so I´m just in the right frame of mind to re-watch "BoB". This time in 1080p.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Damn, I simply can´t wait.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
They'd have to be profoundly stupid to try to remove the grain on this, however I do wonder what the "remastered" refers to since it was finished on DI; not a whole lot to do there really. Hopefully it's just marketing.

I'm also curious about the DTS-HD MA, does this mean Warner isn't doing the actual encoding/authoring?

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
This title should should be a revelation, so far as the way DNR is applied. This title plus the last several Spielberg movies, which have very pronounced grain, by design.

I can already hear the droning pin-heads from every corner of internet-land, doing their best Quasimodo: "The grain...the grain...".

If they choose to dampen the grain on this one...well, it will make the 'Patton' outcry sound like a polite, repressed whimper; and the result will be more obvious by an order of magnitude. Along with a muted color palette, grain is the primary image component. Should be interesting.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Kris is right, the look of this show is created completely in the computer. I suspect "remaster" means simply that they went back to the original digital master files to create the encodes for the blu-ray.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Considering that the grain and the subdued color palate on this show is completely intentional, I doubt seriously that they will do anything to change it.

Doug

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

That's what one would assume, but who can tell these days. I'm eager to hear the first reports.

That being said: I hope we can avoid the pre-release, judge, jury and executioner via screen capture syndrome.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
So you start this DNR-speculation already, just based on the work "remastered" on the press release? Can´t wait for the "screencaps"... :rolleyes

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
Oy! Calm down, friend!

Screencaps will come ;)

After watching it of course.

frankie108

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank P
Anyways, I want to see it exactly as I saw it on my ratty old crt Toshiba HDTV 7 years ago. Is that too much to ask???:P

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I couldn't help myself and preordered it w/ the 30% off coupon at the WHV site (along w/ LA Confidential and Adv of Robin Hood) -- at least it's an HBO title, not New Line. Gonna have to keep my fingers crossed I guess. :P

_Man_

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered this too. I´ll watching "moving screenshots" from my couch.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This title is as good as in my HD collection the day it comes out! :emoji_thumbsup: I am glad I held of on buying this title so I will only have to buy it one time. The first time I saw this title was on my 31" Toshiba CRT TV on DVD. So I am now counting the days to see it with a awsum 1080p transfer on my 50" HDTV. :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh ya after I get my Denon AVR-2809ci and it has been set up, Band Of Brothers in DTS-HD MA will be one of the first group of Blu-ray titles I will watch to test out the new receiver!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

This is the only thing that brings me some comfort that this BD will be okay and not touched by the DNR demons out there. Could you imagine if a movie like 300 (shot digitally with CGI grain added) where the grain was scrubbed out?

I predict that this set will look great. When it was played on HBO, we didn't own an HDTV in the house so I have never seen the show in HD. Can't wait. Oh and DTS-HD Master Audio too?!?! Woohoo!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
According to a poster at AVS who got his copy sent VERY early from Warner, it looks fantastic, high-level grain and all:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks