What's new

Terminator 1 & 2 (1 Viewer)

Van Ling

Insider
Here's a question for the forum:

What kind of features might you want to see on a new BD version of the first Terminator film?

Or for T2, for that matter?

Obviously, the first thing is to try to include everything that was on the previous DVDs, but beyond that, what would make it worthwhile?

Thanks,

V

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
A commentary track featuring either james cameron, michael biehn, or gale ann hurd would be good.
importing the extras from the standard dvd would be good. I know that some would probably want the original mono soundtrack for it.
I would like to see the EE of T2 on bluray. I prefer that version. perhap a commentary with edward furlong on that bluray.
when I got my ps3 on bluray. I got 10 free movies. I think I got t1 and T2 for free.
Jacob

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to have a commentary on The Terminator and multiple tracks would be even better (a solo Cameron track, an actors' track or a track featuring people who made behind the scenes contributions). Overall, I'd like to see The Terminator get the type of in-depth look that T2 got. Also, I think something highlighting Stan Winston's contribution to the movie would be very nice as well.
I think T2 has gotten a pretty thorough treatment over the years but if there's some cool stuff still in the archives, let's see it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Van, did anyone at Lightstorm have any input on the T1 or T2 Blu Ray discs?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... Beyond what's been said, how 'bout something like a countdown to Skynet as some sort of GUI/pop-up menu "skin" or some such (and there are probably other similar/tangential possibilities as well). :D Just the first thing that comes to mind now.
And specifically for T2 (and probably T3 as well), maybe it's possible for the menu features/navigations to take on a morphing characteristic (particularly for transitions) to resemble the T1000's capabilities. Not sure if that's really feasible w/ BD-J, but just thought I'd throw that out there anyway. :D
_Man_

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
On T2, the coverage has been so amazingly thorough that it's hard to imagine what hasn't been done. I just hope the theatrical cut always remains an option; it's still my favorite version.
OK, I just thought of one thing, and it's pretty minor. There's a great special feature (which I think dates back to LD days) showing the multiple takes used to assemble the "helicopter jump" scene. I'd love to see an editing breakdown of the storm drain truck-and-motorcycle chase. Even after all these years, I still find it an unsurpassed masterpiece of action editing.
And oh yes: We must have the Guns 'n' Roses video! :D
M.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Van,
For both films, have the covers use the actual font used in the film on the covers. 1080p with all the film grain intact. No quotes, just damn kick ass layouts and artwork. Same goes for the menus too. EASTER EGGS DAMMIT!:P
How about a port of the German Ultimate Edition HDDVD of T2 released by Kinowelt? Of course with lossless audio, on a BD-50 and if there's not enough space, relegate all the extras, sans commentary of course, to a second disc. Don't put it in a standard Blu-ray case. Nah, this film deserves a nice digipak and an insanely thick booklet. Practically everything ported over from the Ultimate and Extended Region 1 US DVD releases for this. And of course since I import and I know of many else who do, don't apply Region encoding to this. Both cuts via seamless branching please. Or all 4 cuts. Since I've seen a fanedit online which adds the T-1000 searching Jonh Connors room but drops the Future Coda ending.
For THE TERMINATOR, port everything from the Special Edition as a BD-50. Lossless ORIGINAL MONO AUDIO! I don't care one bit about the foley-added remixes so those can be lossy if it matters. Just a ton of kick ass extras of course including the commentary.
Not that it matters, I don't even own a Blu-ray player yet (waiting for a better price on a Profile 2.0 player) and these two titles are the ones I'd add to the Blu-ray side of my High Definition collection. (I own one BD title and 22 HDDVD ones.) Perhaps a double-pack set with Steelbook packaging? I enjoy looking at my shelf and alot of the nicer designed releases are chosen more often to be watched.
Long post but of course I import quite alot and just would like a definitive release. Hell, if these are released even before I buy I player, I'd buy them Van.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Van,

Please, Please, Please include the Guns and Roses video for Terminator 2. We will pay extra for Blu-Ray. This was an incredible video. But sadly, it was not part of the Ultimate Dvd package.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Van,
As said above, it seems that T2 has been done as thoroughly as it can be, as far as actual additional content is concerned. But it would be nice to see an 'Ultimate' Blu edition take everything from the Ultimate and Extreme DVD editions and combine that with a brand new transfer (the current 1080p24 master is five years old, right?) and remixed 7.1 lossless audio. The theatrical cut is a must.
As for the original (and best :D) Terminator movie, all I ask for is the original mono audio - or failing that, a NEW remix that is as faithful as possible, keeping the booming shotguns and the Dirty-Harry-esque 'ka-pow!' of Arnie's .45 longslide, not to mention the missing music cue as the tanker explodes.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Just like in The Abyss thread, I echo the sentiments of everyone else. Off the top of my head:
-original mono for T1
-an audio commentary or two (Cameron and Hurd on one + the visual and make-up FX crews on the other)
-a tribute to Stan Winston (a must!)
-one of your excellent trivia tracks
-regarding T2, everything from the existing DVDs including all the LD supplements, vintage interviews, vintage commentary, Cameron/Wisher commentary, trivia track, multiple versions, etc.
-the Guns 'n' Roses music video
-perhaps a piece on T1 and T2's place in the sci-fi/action genre, reminiscent of the Blade Runner "Fans and Filmmakers" segment (interviews with critics, film historians, other filmmakers, etc.)

JoeyCarr

Grip
Terminator

All DVD features ported over

Trivia Track

PiP track

Terminator 2

All Extreme,Ultimate and Laserdisc extras ported over

Trivia Track

Guns & Roses Music Video

PiP Track

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Scott D S said:
-original mono for T1
-an audio commentary or two (Cameron and Hurd on one + the visual and make-up FX crews on the other)
-a tribute to Stan Winston (a must!)
i second that
as for the 5.1 re-mix done a for the dvd, i never understood why there are so many sfx changed in the bad way. the sound of the terminators gun when he kills the wrong sarah just feels out of place.
if there is ever going to be a real re-mix it should be done from scratch with all the classic sfx used in t1 and t2. t3 had this aweful new sounds for the plasma rifles. this was so disturbing for me just like the sfx change in alien 4 and avp1.
for t1 and t2 i also like to see all the trailers in high-def. the teaser trailer for t2 is to this date one my absolute favorites and perfectly represents what a true teaser trailer should be. the last of this kind was for a rather bad film: resident evil 2. but hey, the teaser for it was pretty damn funny.
as for a 7.1 lossless audio mix for t2, i can only say: don't do it!!! the film was mixed in 5.1 and that's the way it should be on br. the only way i'd accept a 7.1 sound is if gary rydstrom returns for the re-mix and mr. cameron approves the final result.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Terminator: Just bring The Terminator over to BD with all of the features of the SE DVD (the full "Other Voices" doc -- great work on that -) and I'll be a happy man! (The new 5.1 audio is fine with me!) An interactive BD-J "Trivia Track" would be nice, of course.
T2: I'm partial to the "Special Edition" (even the so-called "Happy Ending") so this is the transfer I'd like to have on BD. As others have stated, we need all of the supplements that were on the UE and the XE; again, an interactive "Trivia Track" would also be nice.

Merrick Gearing

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Merrick
I would also recommend that every unreleased deleted scene get put on bluray.

I some how seem to recall a scene in one of the trailers in which John Connor asks the Terminator if the T1000 can be killed and the T800 replies "unknown"

Id personally also would like to have the option to play the secret edition that was on the ultimate edition, but sadly missing from the extreme edition.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
Some personal request from a French customer : French subtitles on T2 on Blu would be great.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

And maybe an extended cut for T1? There are really great deleted scenes on the DVD. I would really love to see them in the cut!

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
merrick97 said:
I would also recommend that every unreleased deleted scene get put on bluray.
I some how seem to recall a scene in one of the trailers in which John Connor asks the Terminator if the T1000 can be killed and the T800 replies "unknown"
good point merrick :emoji_thumbsup:
the scene where the t1000 puts his gun in his body when he wants to kill sarah as louis or the scene when enrique puts a grenade in the t1000's mouth would be awesome to finally been seen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
EnricoE said:
the scene where the t1000 puts his gun in his body when he wants to kill sarah as louis or the scene when enrique puts a grenade in the t1000's mouth would be awesome to finally been seen.
Van would know better than me but I'm 99.9% sure that those scenes weren't shot.

Van Ling

Insider
Travis is correct: neither of those scenes were ever shot. The former was cut to reduce ILM's massive VFX costs for the CG work, and the latter was deleted before shooting for schedule/budget reasons.
As for Merrick's note about the scene from the trailer, that bit of dialogue was a simple beat excised for time from the existing scene between John and Terminator in the parking lot, and is too short a beat to justify making it an "extended" scene. But at least you have it in the trailer... ;-)
V

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The only thing I would add is that when the 1080p transfer is done for T1, please find a cleaner element or do some dirt cleanup/dustbusting. I never realised how dirty that print was until I watched it on my LCD.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
For Terminator, the inclusion of the film's original mono soundtrack is a must.

For T2, I'd like to see both cuts of the film included, without having to fiddle with secret codes or anything. The hidden third version from the "ultimate edition" DVD would be nice to have, too.

Merrick Gearing

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Merrick
Van Ling said:
Travis is correct: neither of those scenes were ever shot. The former was cut to reduce ILM's massive VFX costs for the CG work, and the latter was deleted before shooting for schedule/budget reasons.
As for Merrick's note about the scene from the trailer, that bit of dialogue was a simple beat excised for time from the existing scene between John and Terminator in the parking lot, and is too short a beat to justify making it an "extended" scene. But at least you have it in the trailer... ;-)
V
Thanks for clearing that up. That bit of dialogue does seem interesting though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks