What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Natural Born Killers (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Natural Born Killers

Release Date: June 10, 2008
Studio: Warner Brothers
Packaging/Materials: Hard cover book/case with attached booklet
Year: 1994
Rating: R
Running Time: 1h59m
Video: 1080p high definition 16x9 1.85:1
Audio: Dolby TrueHD: English 5.1; Dolby Digital: English 5.1, French (Parisian) 5.1, French (Quebecois) 2.0, Spanish (Castilian) 5.1, Spanish (Latin) Mono, German 5.1, Italian 5.1, Japanese 2.0
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, and Swedish
MSRP: $34.99

The Feature: 5/5

Bonnie and Clyde got nothin' on Mickey and Mallory Knox (Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis). Beginning with Mallory's white trash parents, the couple rack up 52 victims over a three-week binge of murder and mayhem. And America seems to love them for it - or at least can't look away from the spectacle. Chumming the waters is Wayne Gale (Robert Downey, Jr.), host of the TV tabloid program "American Maniacs." Mickey and Mallory have given his show it's highest ratings since covering Charles Manson, and Gale wants the cherry on top - a live prison interview with Mickey himself. The only people standing in his way are a "hands-on" prison warden (Tommy Lee Jones) and the detective who originally captured the couple (Tom Sizemore). They have their own plans for the Knoxs, but Mickey and Mallory are nothing if not survivors, more than capable of having the final word.

Oliver Stone's satirical and sometimes scathing critique of modern culture pulls no punches in both its content and its message. Employing an almost kitchen sink approach to the shooting, lighting and editing of the film, Stone creates a frenzied and disorienting visual tapestry that reflects and accentuates his core message: We are all natural born killers. We may not personally commit murder, but our complacency and failures as a society create and enable the monsters who do. None of us are innocent.

Agree or not, Stone makes a compelling argument or at least poses the question loud enough to give you pause. What role DOES our glamorization of violence and prurient interest in true crime play in the perpetuation of those things in society? Since "Natural Born Killers" came out we've had four iterations of "Grand Theft Auto," six seasons of "The Sopranos" and a continuing stream of non-fictional serial killers and school shootings. I tend to believe in a less direct relationship than Stone presents, but after 14 years the answer either way is no clearer.

But questions define us; that the question is being asked is in small part a comfort, suggesting that other things - better things - also come to us naturally. Stone's cinematic phrasing of the question (and answer) may not sit well with everyone, may not even be considered "a good movie" by some, but it is important simply for the challenge it presents. More than an entertainment piece but a work of art (in its most debatable and controversial sense), "Natural Born Killers" is highly recommended viewing.

Video Quality: 5/5
The film is correctly framed at 1.85:1 and the 1080p high definition transfer beautifully presents the varying aesthetic qualities that come from the use of multiple media formats and shooting styles. The grain structure - more noticeable in the smaller film formats - is perfectly preserved with no hint of noise reduction. Blacks are deep, inky and rock solid throughout. Colors are equally impressive, the occasional tints and fades to primary colors being especially startling in their sheer depth and boldness. This is an excellent transfer of a visually and technically challenging film.

Audio Quality: 5/5
The audio mix mirrors the often-chaotic visuals, providing aggressive and near-constant surround activity. Despite the sometimes frenzied activity dialog is always clear and intelligible, though even in the more quiet moments there is a spaciousness and palpable quality to the audio. The Dolby TrueHD track is far and away the best way to experience the mix. By contrast the Dolby Digital track sounds harsh and constrained.

Special Features: 3.5/5

The special features package is not as robust as one would hope. The commemorative booklet and Stone's commentary are the only features of considerable substance. The rest seems rather perfunctory.

Packaging: The commemorative booklet attached to the hard cover packaging includes cast bios, director's notes and a brief analysis of the film.

Audio Commentary by Oliver Stone: Despite Stone's tendency for scene description, there's a fair bit of technical and analytical content to satisfy listeners. His even-keeled manner also makes for an interesting contrast to the surreal imagery.

Theatrical Trailer (1m47s)

Deleted Scenes with Introductions by Oliver Stone (24m08s): Scenes range from a different introduction of the shaman to a couple of completely excised characters and scenes.

Charlie Rose Interview (11m38s): Excerpt from Stone's appearance on the Charlie Rose show, where he tries to explain the point of the film.

Alternate Ending (3m30s): A less "happy" ending for Mickey and Mallory.

Recap

The Feature: 5/5
Video Quality: 5/5
Audio Quality: 5/5
Special Features: 3.5/5
Overall Score (not an average): 4/5

A challenging film in both content and visuals gets excellent audio and video transfers. The special features are less impressive and I can't help but wonder if a collector's edition is somewhere waiting in the wings, if not from Warner Brothers, then Lionsgate, who is the distributor of the director's cut. Regardless, this Blu-Ray release is recommended.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Nice review! Do the deleted scenes include the material that's in the unrated "Director's Cut"? Are they in HD? I see that this release has the alternate ending.

Thivanka R. Perera

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thivanka Rukshan Perera
I got my NBK Blu-ray today and have to say it's a very neat, attractive package despite the criticism against the 'coffee table book'.
This has got to be one of the toughest movies to review in regards to picture quality.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Thanks!

Neither the deleted scenes nor the alternate ending are in HD. I haven't seen the director's cut, so I can't speak to whether any of them were reinstated in that version. I know at least a couple of the scenes he expressly said he directed poorly (Hun Brothers) or did not find appropriate for the character arc (courtroom scene).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In some respects it was easy - the 35mm footage looks remarkable in its cleanness and purity and it is such a contrast to the other formats, that you know that the transfer is spot on at least part of the time. :) But actually the grainy stuff looks "clean" too, in the sense that it looks uncorrupted or unmanipulated. The HD format does a lot for showing us the beauty of film grain.

bases1616

Agent
Real Name
Alex
Cameron, nice review, but 5/5 on AQ and PQ. That is a little high for a film that is 14 years old and still has some problems with the PQ and AQ. When you say it is a 5 then it is near perfect which this transfer is not. It is a great looking movie for its age and the way it was shot in certain scenes, but no way is it perfect.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the feedback. I've always seen number ratings as a necessary evil - more evil than necessary I'm finding. I know several other HTF reviewers prefer not to include them...

bases1616

Agent
Real Name
Alex
Ed St. Clair, no need to be a a-hole about it. It is still a nice review. Just a little high on the numbers. Cameron keep up the good work. I think I am going to buy this one after all the good ratings it is getting across the internet forums.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I watched it last night on my 34" tube and really enjoyed it. I have one complaint. The series of legal warnings after the feature is absurd. It just goes on and on. It must be atleast 20 languages. It's a pain in the posterior and the disc should lose a point for it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the Dirty Harry discs have the same thing (I assume). The warnings last just over 5 minutes. It's after the movie so I won't complain but it lasted so long that it went from annoying to bizarrely funny.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What are you guys talking about???

1st off, it wasn't a "point"; it was a ""question"!!!

2nd off, you both must feel "Film Freak Central" also made a "mistake" w/their A/A rating":
NATURAL BORN KILLERS - BLU-RAY DISC
as well as "The Cinema Laser": "amazing" & "explosive" review:
THE CINEMA LASER BLU-RAY DISC REVIEW-- NATURAL BORN KILLERS

I LUV this movie. When I saw it in the theater, I thought I was witnessing the 1st film of the 21st century. No, I wouldn't rate it a "5" for a movie for the general public (cause even though I think its a "5"; I believe half the people would hate it & half the people would like it). So all these ratings are subjective; we all know that.

Looked back too Feb. '08, too see if Cameron had indeed given any other BD release anywhere near a 5/5/5 (hey, HD DVD reviews too!!!). Found none. I was pretty pumped to see such a high review of this disc. However, now that Cameron has sided w/one of you by agreeing w/the post that its : "a little high on the numbers"; I don't know what too think...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was agreeing / thanking Alex more for his compliments; I think we still disagree on the numerical rating.

I did reconsider giving it a "5" rating after Alex's feedback. I know other reviews have played it safe by saying the content is too variable to properly judge the quality of the transfer. But to me playing it safe and giving it a "4" didn't do justice to the emotional reaction I had to the transfer and cinematography, even though on a technical level a "4" might be "correct." I'm guessing it's not unlike the mixed reaction to the film itself.

Which sort of reveals the thorniness of a numerical rating system. On its surface it seems to be objective, quantifiable, etc. But I think the assignment of a number is incredibly subjective and variable, certainly between different reviewers but even with an individual reviewer whose awareness, knowledge and even tastes change over time. So numerical ratings from a couple years ago might indeed be quite different than recent ones. I think this is why several of our reviewers don't do numerical assignments at all.

To my recollection, the only HD release that came close to a 5/5 across the board was The Matrix. In that review I probably could have given it a 5/5 without losing any sleep, but I had the sequels to compare it to and by comparison the transfer was not quite as good, so I gave it 4.5 because that was the standard to show "not quite perfect." In that respect 4.5 was probably too low - it was probably more like a 4.9.

So I don't know if that addresses any current concerns. The sometimes controversy of numerical ratings have plagued better reviewers than I - Roger Ebert being one. I don't know if he's reached any sort of conclusion on their true efficacy, which is why I tend to view them as a "necessary evil."

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
IMO, until reviewers all come together and use a standard scale of, say, 5 points and then agree that all scores start at 2.5 and move up or down, well, comparing review scores is useless. The typical reviewers seems to be giving a low score anytime they hand out anything as low as 2.5 . IMO, score ought'a be clusted more in the middle, average, instead of mostly above.

I'd grovel alot if I had to make up scores....

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I have said this before (AND: it´s purely and only my own personal opinion - not associated to any sites/reviews/reviewers/etc), but rating A/V quality (films itself have been "rated" for years, I guess) will eventually probably cause more problems than actually achieve that much. If you look at some sites and reviews, there are 4 pages of debate, that should some release be 4, 4,5 or 5. I mean really, who cares? 1 vs 5 or 2 vs 4 is another matter, of course, but the debate is rarely about that..

By removing the "numbers/stars", people actually have to read the review and words are much better than some odd number..

But like I said, IMO only. ;) Keep up the good work HTF.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As a reader I like them, but it's really out of laziness, wanting the information quick and dirty. As a reviewer...well, I'm starting to see the more problems than achievement already. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks