What's new

biggass nasty SPIDER! (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

One of these buggers found it's way into my house last night. My dog saw it first, right before the kids went to bed. It was on our living room ceiling. My kids are FREAKED out. I shot it with wasp spray then sucked it up with a vacuum.

I've found one in my garage a few months ago, but in six years these are the only two we've seen. In my prior house we used to see them every other month or so, but this is new to this house. I'm pretty sure they are wolf spiders, though it is possible that it could be a huntsman. Neither are dangerous, but YUCK!

The spider had a body about 1"-2" long and a legspan about 4"-6".

I want them gone, mostly for the sake of my kids, though the thought of one of those buggers crawling across me while I'm watching a movie does not have much appeal (not even if it is Arachnophobia!)

Anyone have any suggestions? I know spiders are tricky to be rid of, but there has to be a way...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
4-6" leg span? That truly is a bigass spider. Cat's love to play and munch on insects.

mylan

Screenwriter
It really looks like a wolf spider.I've never heard of them on the ceiling though. We used to get them but now pay an exterminator 35 bucks a month and now, no more spiders and no more more scorpions!

mylan

Screenwriter
Outside of a Black Widow, the Wolf is a nasty creature. I went to step on one at my old house and realized "she" was pregnant too late, you see, the Wolf spider carries her young on and around her body and when I stepped on her it seemed like hundreds of little spiders ran in all directions... :eek:

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

Just kidding!
(love that piture!)

I live almost exactly where the arrow is pointing- got all the luck!

and yes, that is a photo of a wolf spider for certain, and it resembles the one I found in my home quite closely, but soo too does this Huntsman;

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
well, when I lived in orlando, I saw nothing like that.

GAh!!

good luck with those.

Mylan, I'd probably pass out if I saw that.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
At least they'll eat any other pests that wander into your house. You know, other bugs, stray cats, alligators...

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Get the liquid version of the bug killer you use on your lawn. The instructions should have a mixture for spiders (it is usually stronger). Put it in a pump sprayer and spray along your foundation. That usually takes care of them for a while. Here in Indiana, I get black wolf spiders in my basement. The foundation spraying normally does the trick. I still have some old Diazinon that I use, but I think the newer stuff works too. Good luck.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I literally almost threw up in my mouth a little when I read this, a truly nauseating statement if ever I read one...YUCK!!

There comes a point where spiders get so large that stepping on them or spraying them with Raid no longer applies, at that point they need to be shot lol.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Big spiders can be SCARY! and, well, when one is "coming right at me" and has invaded my space, :eek: I kill it. Usually though, I leave them alone. I'm not into the needless killing of anything, even big hairy spiders. :)

They do eat other critters and spiders aren't known to carry disease but do eat bugs that do. I'd rather see a spider here and there then say, a cockroach or a waterbug. Nor do I like the idea of spraying harmful insecticides around the foundation of the house. Birds and other wildlife may eat the various bugs killed by the insecticide and get sick or die themselves from the poison. :angry:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I live in the NE and you can definitely find Wolf Spiders there. It is absolutely freaky when you wack them with a newspaper or something and the young ones scatter....

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
soooo... anyway... does anyone know how to be rid of these monsters? At my old house the exterminator was not very confident he could. He says poison isn't very effective because spiders don't clean themselves like ants and other insects - so they never ingest the poison... We haven't yet invented spider-seeking nano-warriors, so I'm open to other more practical suggestions...

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I don't kill them, unless I think it's a brown recluse or black widow.

Those big spiders are benificial. As others have said, they eat things I'd like a lot less.
I don't have fleas or cockroaches in my house. Nor do I pay someone to come in and spray chemicals everywhere.

On this same subject, stop killing snakes, please.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Oh I am soooo killing any snakes who come into my house.. just like the spiders. They get an entire globe worth of space, but my 2500 square feet is off limits to their ilk.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's more afraid of you than you are of it. ;)

Seriously, they seldom bite. There are some aggressive spiders but I don't think those are in that category. They eat much more pesky insects too.

One morning last year (around this time actually) I noticed what looked like a black widow complete with hourglass on abdomen on the transmitter building at my work. I put it in the only thing I could find, a small mayonnaise jar with congealed mayo still in it. There was a small egg sack as well and I got the mommy and the little kiddies in one scoop. Imagine my surprise when I got it indoors and the spider was brown! It wasn't one of those evil brown recluses. I looked it up and it was a brown widow spider. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I read that it's more poisonous than the black widow but much less aggressive, and rarely does it sting with full potency. The story doesn't end here. I put small holes in the jar but unfortunately I'd killed the mother spider. I left the jar with egg sack under a console at work. I took a couple of sick days around a weekend for something and forgot all about the spider. When I got back I saw the jar and was going to toss it. But I looked inside and there were hundreds of little brown widows!! I freaked out for a second. It's a damn good thing I put a top on it. I guess they lived on mama spider and mayo. Sounds delicious. Too bad I didn't stuff some rye bread in there. Well, I like spiders so I went to where there were some woods, took the top off the jar and tossed it. Hopefully nobody will get stung by one of those, most likely not.

Here's one. Notice the hourglass is orange and not red like a black widow. I'd forgotten how neat look looking their eggs are. Looks like white chocolate with maybe a nice peanut surprise inside.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If I don't do that, we get ants in the house. I'm open to other ways of keeping them out.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Despite what was said earlier, spraying your foundation is a perfectly acceptable method. As long as you use the specified dosage and legal chemicals, it is not harmful. I talked to our county Purdue Extension office and they said the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks