What's new

Dick Tracy (1 Viewer)

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Has anyone heard any rumors or news on if a Special Edition is on its way or on plans for the future? I think I remember at a time it was talked about. I love the movie and I'm waiting for this to finally pick it up because the one out now is about as bare bones as you can get.

Its in definite need of an updated release, as is Beetlejuice.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would love an update of dick tracy.

a doc on the reasons for the look and the make up would be great.

btw "Dick Tracy, is a new disc in the works yet? "
would have been a great title to this thread.

just the title of the movie doesnt give us anything on what your topic is about.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Good point, fixed...though I dunno if it will show up on the main page or just in here, but fixed none the less.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I seem to remember there being a rumor about a darker director's cut of Dick Tracy. I don't really think there was any truth to that, but an SE would be nice.

Haden

Supporting Actor
I believe a lot was cut from the movie, judging by the script and novelization. This quote from IMDB's trivia page also says:

I recall 1 or 2 extra scenes with the Kid that foreshadowed his future as a police sketch artist (which he became in the Dick Tracy comics after he grew up). I remember talk a few years ago about Warren Beatty wanting to do an extended cut/special edition DVD, but somehow the plans never materialized. I would LOVE to get an SE of this film. It's become such a huge cult classic over the years and looks so vividly beautiful on my HDTV, It's sad that all we have is a barebones DVD. Maybe we'll finally get a special edition for its 20th anniversary in 2010. :frowning:

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator
man...someone NEEDS to call the monekys who run Miramax DVD department.not just about Dick Tracy but lots of their DVDs NEEDS an upgrade.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Forgive me for bumping this nearly 3 year old thread, but Dick Tracy crossed my mind this year again when I realized that we are now halfway into the year of its 20th anniversary and there's still no word of a special edition release. It doesn't look like it's on blu-ray yet either. This movie is so ridiculously overdue for the deluxe treatment. It needs a nice 2-disc special edition, with the long-rumored director's cut and a remastered picture for blu-ray that would look amazing with all those vibrant colors. It would be a terrible missed opportunity if they don't do something special for this movie for its 20th anniversary. What's the hold up?!

A quick search of HTF found this other ancient thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/15875/new-cut-of-dick-tracy-on-dvd

This was the first mention of Beatty's planned director's cut/special edition DVD release, and it was posted way back in 2001. Wow... where has the time gone? It's almost 9 years later, so why are we still waiting? Ugh....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks