What's new

Need subwoofer troubleshooting help and some advice. (1 Viewer)

Well over the past 6 months my sub has been acting weird. It first seemed to happen occasionally with the DSS box, almost always w/ American Idol was on. Now its happening all the time no matter what the source. As it plays it crackles. I'm assuming it is a blown subwoofer. My sub is one of the original Velodyne SPL-1200 subs.

1) What can I do to prove its the subwoofer and maybe narrow down what is wrong?

2) What do you think it would cost to fix the Velodyne?

3) If it is blown, I was thinking just get an SVS. Can I use the plate amp off the Velodyne to drive an SVS? I am thinking no. Too much power and someone mentioned the plate amp needs special servo inputs off the subwoofer. Is this true? I though that was only a feature on the HGS models.

4) If I do go SVS I would probably just get the 25-31 PCi for simplicity. How is this going to compare to the Velodyne I have now?

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Crackles?? Maybe it's just a bad interconnect (first guess) or a loose wire inside somewhere. Not really familiar with that particular sub, but also it might just be something as simple as a bad potentiometer....(think that's the right term)

Mort

Now to add to the confusion.

Basically this system is in the living room. It is used all the time, even for regular TV. It is run in 5 channel stereo for that. So it gets used a lot. For the past 2 weeks the sub has been shut off. Yesterday I wanted to troubleshoot so I turned the sub back on. No issues and it worked flawlessly. I played TV, CDs, Audio DVDs, etc for over 3 hours at pretty high volumes. Not one issue, no crackling as the bass hits, etc .....

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Dontcha just hate that? It's like the funny noise your car always makes until you get to the mechanic.

Do you normally leave the sub powered on all the time....even when the rest of the system is off? If so, perhaps it builds up enough heat over a longer period of time than the three hours usage you gave it at the last sitting......with a bash type plate amp I can't see that happening but it might be just enough to effect something like a chip or capacitor.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks