What's new

Why use SAFARI over FIREFOX? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have used and loved FIREFOX for years.

Over the past few weeks I have been slowly migrating over
from everyday Windows apps (such as Outlook) to the Mac
counterparts. My eventual goal is to eliminate using a virtual
Windows on my Mac.

Just wondering if there were any major advantages to using
SAFARI over FIREFOX.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
that's fine, but what does that have to do with firefox/safari? there is a native mac build of firefox.

CJ

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Have you tried Camino? It's made by the same people who made Firefox, but is specifically for Mac. It is supposed to be very fast, but may not have as many features as some other browsers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Seth,

Camino looks great and I would very much consider
trying it...

The problem is basically bookmarks and HTF toolbar.

If don't think that it will be a problem importing all
of Firefox's bookmarks over to Camino.

My problem is if plug-ins that usually work with Firefox
will also work with Camino. The HTF TOOLBAR is a
prime example. That little plug-in application is a huge
asset to me.

Any idea if Firefox plugins work with Camino?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Safari is still not 100 percent compatible with all the web sites I traverse--State Farm Insurance, for example. I use Firefox for that. But since the default web browser is Safari, and it is pre-configured and working for 99% of what I need, I use it.

- Steve

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Safari uses the OS X built in spell checker, which is nicer, it allows you to look up words in the Mac's dictionary or google them. Other than that for me it is just habit. I use Camino or Firefox for incompatible websites.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I was a hard core FF users before switching to the MBP so i naturally just installed FF for mac and haven't really given Safari much of a look. I depend on the many plug ins for FF way to much to stop using it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I finally switched over to Firefox after a few issues that Safari has with web sites. I always had problems with Yahoo's main page...switching the featured news stories didn't work and niether does switching the different seraches (i.e. photos, shopping, video, etc.)

I find Firefox to work very well. The only drawback is what Ted decribes about the built in spell check, that's really the only thing I miss.

EDIT: I just remembered another drawback of Safari...when you open a browser window, that has a Flash movie playing, if you don't keep that window 'on top', the Flash movie slows down and plays choppy.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I, too, have never really give Safari much of a chance. I used to use Camino (when it was still known as "Chimera") almost exclusively before Pheonix (known today as "FireFox") began getting official MacOS X builds. I made the switch back then because it was much more stable than Chimera.

I try to keep Camino up-to-date, but it's been years since I really used it last. FireFox handles 99% of the sites I visit without any major problems.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Wait a sec....the newest version of Firefox has a spell-checker, or
at least, underlines misspelled words.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's odd, mine doesn't underline misspelled words and I just did a check for updates and it said I was up to date.

Could it be an OS version thing? I'm still at 10.3.9 - or do I need to turn something on? I know in Safari, you had to select "Check Spelling as you Type" to have misspelled words underlined.

EDIT: I think I solved the problem. I don't actually have the latest version, which is really odd because the "Check for Updates..." said I was up to date, I had to manually go and download the new Firefox installer.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'm all up to date and now I see misspelled words underlined...

Thanks for pointing that out Ron! :emoji_thumbsup: I never would have known I was out of date.

ErichH

Screenwriter
After many moons of switching between the 3, there's very little difference IMO. Firefox has trouble rendering in a few places, but loads faster in a few. Safari loads faster in yet a few others. I'm so used to popping text size up and down for certain sites, I forget I'm doing it.

They tend to leapfrog feature and performance wise. I've yet to see a clear winner, so I keep Firefox and Safari in the dock. If one has trouble on a certain site, I'll give the other a try.

The 2560 Rez on the 30in will make quite a few site hash text/buttons over each other in either browser. A real pain at CNN and a few places.
No trouble here though (Nice job guys)

BTW, we'll have system wide spell check soon. Should be very nice.

E

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Im having a lot of trouble with Safari properly displaying fonts on certain web pages and was wondering if anyone could help.
Im on a new 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon tower.

Below is the sort of problem I am having...

This is the version of Safari Im running...

And this is the Apperance section in the Safari preferances

Anyone got any idea where Im going wrong here? I've been throught the system preferances with no luck, I've changed the Safari fonts from Arial to Gillsans to Veranda etc etc
I think it's defaulting to Helvetica fractions (as above in the first screen grab) but I cannot figure out why?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Do you have things set to another language, by any chance (International under System Prefs)?

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Ahh! Figured it out.
While it wasn't something in International, checking that then made me realise that is wasn't anything in the system settings, which then lead me to the realisation that it's got to be a problem with the Extensis Suitcase Fusion software I have been using to keep all my printers fonts from my system fonts.
I simply removed the Helvetica fractions font from the suitcase application and restarted and now everything works fine
Many thanks Cameron for putting me on the right path :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks