What's new

Simple DIY TV Stand (and speaker stands) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While being in the market for a new TV set (probably the Panasonic TH-50PX600U plasma model, just under 35" tall with its own low profile stand), I realized I would need a TV stand, and since I knew what size of TV I could fit in my setup, I knew how much I had to work with in coming up with a TV stand.

For over 5 years, I had this 61"+ piece of 6" wide PVC pipe in my garage (the rest of the pipe is in one of my subwoofer projects), and I finally had a use for it: as the legs for a TV stand. I chopped it up into 4 segments, each 15" in length.

The stand's surface area is 40"wide and 20" deep, which should accomodate most 50" models currently available (if I were to go with a rear projection TV model). The stand's height will be about 18.5" tall once you add the roller casters into the mix. The roller casters will make moving the TV around a little more easier if it needs to be moved elsewhere. My current RPTV is 55" tall, so the combo of the new TV and the stand will be 53" tall, so it'll be a good fit.

Here's what I got done over this weekend:

Here's a collection of the construction photos for this project.

It's pretty simple, just need to make sure of your measurements and route the holes for a snug fit for the PVC pipes. I will most likely build in another shelf level for components if the need arises.

All that remains is the paint job, which I hope to get started on soon, and finished by next weekend if possible. Daylight savings time can't come soon enough! I told myself that I wouldn't order/buy a new TV until I had the TV stand built for it. That's incentive!

So far, I think I've spent about $75 in material costs for the TV stand, and that total can go up if I need more cans of spray paint to get the paint job done right. It's still less than the $200-$300 I'd have to spend for a store-bought TV stand.

The stand almost matches my homemade speaker stands, but I didn't go for the roundover on the edges (since I don't have access to a router that would accept a 1/2" router bit).

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Looks pretty good! Nice use of existing material, too. And, I see you are a lefty....unless you flipped the photo....

I'm still hemming and hawing over design concepts for stands, shelves, and so on in my HT.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's the final outcome after a few days of painting and waiting:

I added more photos on the paint process to the same photo set listed before (in the last 9 photos for the set).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I put together some DIY speaker stands way back in late 2002 with left over PVC pipes (4" and 6" diameter pipes) from my subwoofer projects, and it wasn't until I did my DIY TV stand that give me no more excuses to finally paint the speaker stands, so that's what I did last weekend, and then I let the paint dry for 6 days (hopefully so that the paint on the bottom sides won't be left on the carpet when/if I move the stands elsewhere later.

Here's a collection of photos dealing with the painting process.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Nope, it was a good thing I painted them recently, the paint gave some protection from the water. But I will monitor the situation when I put them back in place after my house is re-carpeted. If the bottoms are indeed water-damaged, I'll just make new bottoms for the stands.

Jason, glad you liked them enough to inspire you to make your own stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks