Best Subwoofer under $400 (1 Viewer)

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph
Need advise on some Subwoofers under $400

i've been told that these are good choices,

Premier Acoustic PA-12W Subwoofer for about $300.00
BIC Acoustech H-100 Subwoofer -$250.00 (Deliverd)
HSU STf-2 - $350 Deliverd

can some one point me in the right direction

I have the Def TEch, SM450 fronts, Clr2002 Center and bp2x rears, my room is about 13X20,

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The best sub under $400 is the one you build. Something like a TCSounds TC-1000 Driver ($199, TCSounds), PE 500W Bash Amp ($159, Parts Express), a 4 ft^3 enclosure ($20 in MDF) tuned to 20hz w/ a 4" x 16" port ($12, Parts Express) and covered in vinyl in your color choice ($15, Parts Express, Black Ash, Black Textured, Beech, Teak, Red Maple, Cherry, Silver).

This sub would rival something commercial like an SVS PB12-NSD or 20-39 PCi, and probably even a PB12-Plus or 20-39 Plus. If you have just the most basic woodworking tools and most basic woodworking skills you can complete a project like this in a day.

Steve Kohlmann

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Kohlmann
I have an Infinity PS-12 and I love it.

Oh I'm sure the hardcore audio nuts here will laugh at my system but I'm very happy with my PS-12 and I've had it a year now. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the same.

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph
thanks for the feed, I am looking at VTF1- more closely, I dont have much time, or the knowhow to build my own, even if i did, I woud'nt sleep well at night thinking if i connected or constructed everything right, thanks tho.... anyone else,

Jacob C

Second Unit
THe VTF-2 MK2 looks very similar to the VTF-1 MK3. THey arent the same but the numbers are pretty similar. I have an STF-2 and it is great.

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph
I can get the 1 VTF1 from HSU for $415 shipped
or I can get 2 BIC Acoustech H-100 -$380.00 - shipped
what would be the better buy?

I have the Def TEch, SM450 fronts, Clr2002 Center and bp2x rears, my room is about 13X20

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
joseph

If you can get 2 BIC for $380, jump all over that. Great price. Far more output.

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph
^^^ got the 2 Bic, I guess if i dont like the 2 sub setup i can alway sell and upgrade, and for that price " i jumped all over that"
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

far more out put?????

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard them myself but Elemental Designs is an automotive audio company which has recently moved into home audio. Their subwoofers are very competitively priced and seem to have gotten primarily kind words from users on their own forums. I haven't seen anyone mention them here or anything, didn't know if anyone on this forum had heard them. Also I think their price includes shipping?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=2_41

(I recognize I could come off as such, but I'm not affiliated with the company at all. Just intrigued by their products/price point and wanted to hear thoughts by others experienced primarily in home audio)

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph
do you guys think i shoud have picked the VTF 1 over 2 Bic-h100
I'm kinda second guessing my self,

Slirp

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Constant
Don't second guess yourself. The BIC is a fantastic sub. I just picked one up for Christmas and I don't know that I've ever heard anything in the price range that compares. Just one of them is more than enough for my room, two should be able to move air in any med-large room without any effort. You didn't make a bad choice.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
OK. I am going to chime in here. I have the PA 12W sub and it is sounds great to me. It has a bottom firing port that I just found and I put a piece of MDF under it and now it really rocks. I ordered an HTD set for my office to try it out with my Pioneer 84. The PAs are going in the living room except for the Surrounds to work with my Yamaha RX-V757. I tried the sub on the Yamaha (100wpc) and it kicked pretty clean and hard. I currently have a 12' 130w sub in the living room which was a workhorse. The PA 12W obliterated it. I am sure there are better subs out there and PA does not have the liberal 30 day satisfaction guarantee policy that some of the other companies have. That is the only risk. I am sure there are better subs out there but for this price it sounds great on both of my receivers.

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks