What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Halloween - 25 Years Of Terror (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
b]_ I’m a Halloween fan. There, I said it. If you’ve read any of my posts over the last 6 years, you probably figured that out as well. It is in this spirit that I review the Halloween 25 Years of Terror DVD. I only mention this so you know that I’m biased. I probably would have supported a DVD that only featured 1 hour of Donald Pleasence’s drunken ramblings…but luckily Anchor Bay has provided the fans with much, much more._ _ The main feature on this 2-disc DVD set is a ~90 minute documentary assembled from rare clips, interviews, and behind-the-scenes footage, and panel footage assembled from the Halloween 25th Anniversary convention held in 2003. It combines interviews with cast members, crew, critics, fans, and just about anybody else into a nicely succinct summary of the first 8 films. My only wish is that they had the foresight to see the Rob Zombie deal during the making of this documentary, and had been able to include some of that information. Luckily, he is featured in a couple of small interviews, and we get to hear his opinion on the series gradual descent. We also get to hear some good old, un-adulterated words from Carpenter on all of the sequels. Considering how long it took to release this thing (I’ve heard about it for the past two years), I’m just glad we finally got a DVD. The main thing that sticks out at me about this documentary is the warts-and-all aspect of the descriptions on making the films. Many of you out there know of the Halloween 6 fiasco, and it pleased me to see no one shy away from some good old Joe Chapelle bashing (as well as some plugs for the bootlegged Producer’s Cut). There were also a good deal of interviews with secondary cast members that I had never heard from before. I felt that I knew most everything about the films going into this documentary, but it had some info that even I hadn’t heard before. I’d go into more detail, but it would be hard not to simply recount all of the information covered in the documentary. Needless to say, if you consider yourself a Halloween fan (or even just a fan of the horror genre) you should track down a copy of this excellent DVD._ _ Film Rating: :star::star::star::star:_ _ [b]

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The documentary was pretty good but some parts might have been a little too fan-y especially the guy who was obviously a friend of the doc makers and was credited as a "Film Critic". I don't think posting reviews on your blog should certify you as a film critic. :)

Beyond that nitpick, I think any Halloween fan will be happy with this.

My favorite bit was Rob Zombie talking about test screening and he said something to the effect of I wish someone had asked me to fix Jaws when I was 17. I'd have ruined the fucking movie!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Picked this up the other day and enjoyed it, although, like posted above, some parts were a little "fan-y" for my tastes. But for the price, $14.99 + $3 off coupon, it can't be beat!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Great review.

I thought it was a wonderful documentary. It was nice hearing stories about something other than just the original. It was interesting to hear the Disney guy talk about them knowing about the bootlegs of part 6 yet they haven't released it yet. I haven't gotten to the second disc yet but the first one was certainly worth the $15.

It was also interesting hearing about various stalkers the actors had to put up with. Perhaps this was common news but I didn't know Carpenter was the one behind putting all the gore into part 2. I had always heard he refused to direct it because others wanted the gore in.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the extras, check out the Horror's Hallowed Grounds episode. It was cool to see the locations for more than just the Myers and Wallace houses. They even showed the driveway to the sanitarium and where Michael killed the tow truck guy.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

My exact understanding, as well. And it doesn't seem to make sense, considering how relatively gore-free the original was.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Travis, I think the quote from Rob Zombie was more like this (in the context of him criticizing test screenings)

My understanding is more like this (and this comes from other Carpenter interviews outside the 25 Years of Terror Doc.) He and Debra Hill had no real interest in doing a sequel. But, due to the success of Halloween it was going to be done with or without him. Carperter saw it as a chance to at least make some money so he wrote the sequel and produced ith with Hill. As for the added gore, he felt that since gore fest films such as Friday the 13th and others had come along and proved popular, audiences would be unsatisfied with a relatavely goreless film. So he reshot some of the scenes and added the scene where Alice is killed. (I believe that part was discussed in the Doc.) The rarely shown TV cut of Halloween II supposedly is closer to Rick Rosenthal's vision of the film.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I'd really like to see this, but NETFLIX doesn't have it (yet).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I suppose that's what I get for using a standard template for my reviews :D

Consider it corrected. (1.33:1)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Just buy it. Amazon has it for $12.47 which is more than worth it if you would really like to see to see as you have indicated. It's as good of a bargain as your gonna get.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Great Review! I just rented this from creepyflix.com. It is on the way.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I loved this doc! My favorite is without a doubt the Michael Myers panal discussion, especially when Dick Warlock does "the walk" ;), it just too bad that Nick Castle and Tony Moran couldn't be there, second favorite is the Hallowed grounds special, which begs the question, how in the holy hell does one go about moving an entire house!? ;)

BTW, that girl, Heather I think her name was, was freakin' hot! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks